Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn’t much info at the moment regarding the TO Elect tires. The summer version was just released recently. Apparently the 19” delays were due to Pirelli, and not Tesla. I’m not sure if the All Season version is out yet but should be coming.
If my hypothetical car comes with the 19" summer, I think I'd reject in hopes of getting with A/S tires ave save some $1,400. Anyone have any idea if we could have SC change for A/S especially in the northeast?

I have Air80 on the MYP. The headlights are fabulous, so it helps a lot. What I'm not fond of is the halo effect from other headlights. Sometimes you'll notice a prism effect. I would love a windshield tint that didn't do this. I wonder if the crystaline is better for this.
I have no Halo effect with my Air 80. You might have some microfibers trapped between the film and the glass. I had that problem with the previous install. After talking with my installer he went with a special paper towel this time and it is perfect.

This. I often had a hefty boost below 200hz and a notch at 200hz to try and balance out the low end in my BMWs. Always looked funny on the system EQ but it works. I often toy with the idea of setting up my SMAART rig in the car and see what it takes to tune a system flat, and then work from there. Maybe I'll try it with this car.

Also, FWIW, the model Y had a definite break in period. It sounds quite good now. Also its very finicky with what you put into the system.
Check the bass in the rear passenger side seat on the Y. It's almost non-existent. Definite cancellation.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
If my hypothetical car comes with the 19" summer, I think I'd reject in hopes of getting with A/S tires ave save some $1,400. Anyone have any idea if we could have SC change for A/S especially in the northeast?
This is the tire on my S LR 19" Being delivered tomorrow. Show PZ4 which is listed as a Summer Tire

547F6465-5E52-4DCA-8BE2-9A0E8EF1D02B_1_201_a.jpeg
89A110B1-2AE6-49BD-836E-219FFF033BFD.jpeg

It’s a hard decision. I have never driven a Plaid so I can’t really speak from experience but from research, there isn’t much more to the Plaid than the LR other than power. LR is plenty fast for any practical use and I’m not planning on tracking or racing all the time so I would never take advantage of the power the Plaid offers.

With that being said if I got the Plaid first, when I was supposed to, I would keep it and sell my LR. Being in the LR for a month, I just can’t justify the price difference for the Plaid, where before I wouldn’t have known any better and just kept the Plaid.

If no one wants my Plaid by the end of today, I’m going to email them to cancel my reservation.
Wow, that ****s me up a bit. I think you’re the second guy to say that.

While waiting for my Plaid I have time to think. Having the quickest car ever sure is super appealing. But yeah it’s not like the LR is slow. Plus my car will be driven on the street 99.9% of the time meaning I won’t be able to enjoy the extra power that much without getting in trouble. Where I live, over 100mph they impound the car for a couple weeks so you have to be prudent with the go pedal.

Not that the LR can’t put me in trouble. But it should be more than enough to keep me happy as a commute car and I can just pocket the extra $$.

I am sticking to my plan of waiting for my Plaid until the end of my Oct 26 EDD. After that all bets are off.

Last edited:
A few months back, when the discussion on TMC about summer vs AS first started, I emailed SA and asked about it. He assured me they would be AS. I followed up a couple of more times before delivery, as it became clear here that 19” were summer tires, and I got additional reassurances. Then on delivery day (8/25) I spent about a half hour in dialogue with reps, and they went to research it. Seemed like it was the first time anyone questioned it at my SC. They told me the tires were AS and so I left with the car. Then I read another post here on TMC that night which confirmed they were NOT AS. So I emailed post-delivery tech at SC, and he responded that he thought they might have delivered my car with the wrong tires. It took a week for resolution, as he said the issue was being escalated within Tesla. Then yesterday I got confirmation they will be swapping my summer tires for AS. I asked how long it would take for new tires to arrive and was told “two weeks “, of course!
Can you post the tires spec you have now so we have a comparison point on what Tesla considers summer vs AS

I just spoke with Xpel corporate offices about the Model S refresh, as I wanted to know if they were going to offer up pre-cut templates to their installers for the window trim, now that it is glossy blacked out and will likely show swirl marks down the road. They said if someone who owns a refresh in the San Antonio area wants to reach out to them, they usually work out a deal for that person in exchange for having access to the car for a bit.

They also have yet to release their "wear & tear" templates for the refresh that covers the painted areas inside the door jam. I specifically inquired about that area, as the dirt quickly builds up there inside my previous Model S. Btw, the only other area that Xpel has yet to have templates for is the refreshed interior, but that isn't as important to me.

Yes, I know that installers can custom wrap those areas, but I'm fine waiting until they put those out, and saving a few bucks in the meantime.

Below is their contact info, if you live in the San Antonio area and want to look into this:

XPEL, Inc.​

618 W. Sunset Road
San Antonio, Texas 78216
USA

+1 (210) 678-3700
1 (800) 447-9928

[email protected]
8:30-5:30 CST

I would not try to “precut” a hood. My detailer says even though they have templates, they custom cut the hood to wrap it around the edges and corners for seamless look.
That's a slightly misleading comment from your detailer. Good detailers I've spoken with locally always extend the precuts to ensure all edges are wrapped.

While waiting for my Plaid I have time to think. Having the quickest car ever sure is super appealing. But yeah it’s not like the LR is slow. Plus my car will be driven on the street 99.9% of the time meaning I won’t be able to enjoy the extra power that much without getting in trouble. Where I live, over 100mph they impound the car for a couple weeks so you have to be prudent with the go pedal.

Not that the LR can’t put me in trouble. But it should be more than enough to keep me happy as a commute car and I can just pocket the extra $$.

I am sticking to my plan of waiting for my Plaid until the end of my Oct 26 EDD. After that all bets are off.
Everyone is of course aok in their view on this, but there are a lot who really like having the PLAID, notwithstanding the differences that some feel are not significant. In 2017, the regular S vs. the P wasn't worth it to me, but now it is. FWIW.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Unless you plan on going to the track, I can't see the Plaid being anything but a bragging right. The LR hits HARD till about 80 MPH. It's still quick at that speed, but punching it at 40 gives you butterflies in your stomach while at 80, not as much. In traffic, or passing another car, full throttle is only done for the fun of it. It's more power than needed to get around someone.

Last week an Audi RS 7 tried to blow by me when I was already doing 70. We got past 120 before slowing for traffic and he failed to pass me. The Plaid would come in handy if we continued past 150, because I believe the Audi can hit 190. So you have to ask yourself a few questions. Are you going to the track? Are you going to want to beat someone on a freeway going faster than 150MPH? Are you used to cars that do sub 3 second 0-60, so the LR just won't do it?

I really want a Plaid, but after driving the LR for a few weeks, I'm fairly certain the Plaid would either kill me, or just go to waste. If money is no object, and you really plan to use it, get the Plaid. If not, I doubt the LR will disappoint.

Getting a LR white/black interior with the 19s delivered in Northeast Ohio this Sunday. Called the SC and they said all 19s come with the Pirelli summer tires. I can't for the life of me understand how/why they are delivering summer tires in colder climates. Not sure what to do at this point but I surely don't want to have to spend $1,500+ to get winter tires or a winter set.

Everyone is of course aok in their view on this, but there are a lot who really like having the PLAID, notwithstanding the differences that some feel are not significant. In 2017, the regular S vs. the P wasn't worth it to me, but now it is. FWIW.
Yep, to each his own and a little bit of the grass is greener on the other side.

I ordered a LR black interior with 19" (instead of Plaid 21" white interior) thinking it is plenty fast enough and the other bits are for show and I'm too old for it. Now, seeing all the videos and reviews, I want a Plaid (and I want 21" wheels but not the white interior if it means getting the car in 2022, seriously WTF).

There is something to be said about having the fastest/ best version of the car you buy even if you never (or almost never) take advantage of the speed. Makes you feel a little better inside and when you go out and stare at your car in the garage or after a fresh wash (not that I have ever done that). Again, to each his own. You are either that guy or not that guy.

I have regret but have decided to not switch and try to pick up an inventory Plaid and instead upgrade to whatever the "Plaid" version will be when they finally put 4680s in the Model S and it gets 500+ miles range. At least at that time, I will have a Model S to drive around in while I wait in line complaining about all the BS EDDs for the 4680 Model S deliveries to start.