Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that you have had some time to become intimately familiar with your new refresh Model S I have to ask - how is your wood?

Even though some of you will not admit it, I have no doubt that you have spent time just sitting in your car and playing with it. You have certainly touched your wood. It may have been brief and way too quick or long and deeply satisfying, but if you have it, you have definitely touched it.

I showed it to my service advisor and asked her to touch it. She did and thought it was not right. I even asked the lead technician to feel it and he also thought it was wrong. They are ordering new wood for me. Who new that all you have to do is show your cracked and split wood to Tesla and they would replace for you?

Among other things, I am a woodworker and have done it for most of my life. The feel of real wood under my hands has to be right. I know what it is supposed to feel like. When I feel cracked and split wood I find it disturbing. To me, it is similar to the feeling of listening to good music that is suddenly interrupted by the sound of a phonograph needle scratching across a record. I posted about my wood here:

Please forgive me if you are in the group that is unable to experience this but I really want to know, how is your wood? Is it smooth and satisfying? Or is yours cracked and split? Have you shown Tesla your bad wood? How did they handle it? They are ordering new wood for me. Who knew that all you have to do is show your cracked and split wood to Tesla and they would replace for you?

One last thought, if they can't do a quality natural wood replacement for me I'm going to ask for the artificial alternative, it'll last forever.
So. Many. Jokes. Just. Sitting. There.

What's the verdict on taking the Model S to automated touchless car washes? Do they stain the trim similar to the matte Model Y trim?

(I know, I know...automated car washes are evil and all that. 😊 I'm looking to see if touchless are a viable option in a pinch)

I used a touchless once in a pinch. Did an okay job. Did not damage the car at all. There were no leaks past any seals.

I had a 2016 P100DL and will be getting my Plaid next week. I don't see how the Plaid can't hit harder as it is significantly faster both 0-60 and in the 1/4. I'll find out next week, although it has been almost 2 years since I turned my P100DL back in when the lease was up.
;) you'll learn in a week. There is NOTHING like it. I promise.

I don't know what's worse--the wait for delivery or the four days it's been with my PPF guy. 🙄
F4D9D741-C187-4D7F-8382-80C2191B12D0.png

Now that you have had some time to become intimately familiar with your new refresh Model S I have to ask - how is your wood?

Even though some of you will not admit it, I have no doubt that you have spent time just sitting in your car and playing with it. You have certainly touched your wood. It may have been brief and way too quick or long and deeply satisfying, but if you have it, you have definitely touched it.

I showed it to my service advisor and asked her to touch it. She did and thought it was not right. I even asked the lead technician to feel it and he also thought it was wrong. They are ordering new wood for me. Who new that all you have to do is show your cracked and split wood to Tesla and they would replace for you?

Among other things, I am a woodworker and have done it for most of my life. The feel of real wood under my hands has to be right. I know what it is supposed to feel like. When I feel cracked and split wood I find it disturbing. To me, it is similar to the feeling of listening to good music that is suddenly interrupted by the sound of a phonograph needle scratching across a record. I posted about my wood here:

Please forgive me if you are in the group that is unable to experience this but I really want to know, how is your wood? Is it smooth and satisfying? Or is yours cracked and split? Have you shown Tesla your bad wood? How did they handle it? They are ordering new wood for me. Who knew that all you have to do is show your cracked and split wood to Tesla and they would replace for you?

One last thought, if they can't do a quality natural wood replacement for me I'm going to ask for the artificial alternative, it'll last forever.
There is a purple polish I've heard that works pretty well...

Also... I'd say most of the men on this site could also say they've been working with wood for many years... at least since some point in their early teens...

There is a purple polish I've heard that works pretty well...

Also... I'd say most of the men on this site could also say they've been working with wood for many years... at least since some point in their early teens...
This. Is. Amazing.

Mine is at PPF. I do not have those notifications on bit I can see it moving around the building.

Driving one of our jeeps. This is lifted withv35" tires. The noise, ride, and steering is savage compared to the S. Also had to pump gas for first time since June. Did forget how much I loved the Jeep...
LOL, I have a Raptor yet too and boy it does feel odd when I drive it now. It sits for months at a time, I only use it for camping and Baja. And usually I leave it running or in gear when I'm about to hop out for the first few hours of not driving it for awhile. 😆

Paid woodworker is one of the oldest profession. Just sayin'

So, all the jokes aside :), I am also a woodworker, and I find the wood trim in my Plaid to be quite acceptable. Is not a smooth, high gloss finish, but still has open grain. It is otherwise smooth and even across the surface.
That is what I am looking for. I don't expect or even want a high gloss piano smooth surface, open grain and smooth is what I expected. It appears that some have good wood and some got split wood like mine. I suspect that the moisture content was off when they formed the trim pieces leading to the splits. So far they are only ordering a few pieces to see what they look like when they arrive.

I followed some instructions on youtube using 'disk management' (a PC) to create 3 partitions, a 250 GB one for Teslacam, a 200 GB one for music, and a third small one for Boombox. Works fine, and now I have just one big usb drive plugged into the glovebox out of the way.
Do you have that youtube link? I saw a website with PC and Mac written instructions and it looked like I'd need a PHD in computer programming to pull it off...🤨

What's the verdict on taking the Model S to automated touchless car washes? Do they stain the trim similar to the matte Model Y trim?

(I know, I know...automated car washes are evil and all that. 😊 I'm looking to see if touchless are a viable option in a pinch)
I think touchless are fine. My concern is now whether it push and pulls at PPF edges wrapped and unwrapped.

That is what I am looking for. I don't expect or even want a high gloss piano smooth surface, open grain and smooth is what I expected. It appears that some have good wood and some got split wood like mine. I suspect that the moisture content was off when they formed the trim pieces leading to the splits. So far they are only ordering a few pieces to see what they look like when they arrive.
“My wood is good”! Conditioned it with Old English untinted oil.
23293481-D10F-4C61-A875-60A150204220.jpeg
AC5F76DE-30F9-47EA-A588-830D73E94282.jpeg
E1ADB917-3890-4728-B9E1-EB6C28170051.jpeg
981AC9BE-CD1D-4420-8D49-8460257D3EBA.jpeg