Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first two experiences today, one on the way to get car inspected, and one on the way home. Both in sport mode.

For the first one, I was totally unprepared. At a red light with open space ahead, fairly busy road, a Harley pulled up. Didn’t even glance at me. Pulled away dead even with accelerator only half way down, until I reached 70 then let him pull away. Heart was racing.

Second one, I was better prepared. Shelby Cobra pulls up behind me at a light. I pulled away from him and he didn’t pursue. So at next light I pull into left lane, and instead of staying behind me he pulls into right lane, a few feet behind dead even, so I couldn’t really see him. But I figure he wants to go. So I punch it and look in the rear view and he decided not to go. I think he must have thought it was a Plaid?! Lol. Not sure if it was the top of line Cobra GT500 but it looked like the attached.

Anyway, pretty exciting for an old guy! And when I got home I changed to Insane. Lol.
The trick is to let them make the move first. If you launch at the same time or first they will not follow when it is obvious they are beat.

Some navigations questions, please
1) if you use NoA and change the route, will it autoupdate like any other GPS and then you're still good to go?
2) in line with that, I've heard there's no car play, android auto, etc. so if you want waze, you can do so through a web browser - I imagine that can work, but then the car woudn't know about it, right, so no navigating with Waze per se?
Yes to both.

Okay, now I am a bit angry. I had my first service appointment last week. They for got to fix the rubber seal on the passenger side. I figured "no big deal, I'll live with it". They also didn't fix the rubbing sound on the steering column, even though they did find broken, incorrectly installed parts in the column and replaced those.

But what has me upset right now is I just took a coworker for a ride, and when the sunlight hit the yoke as I was pointing to where the controls are, I saw an L-shaped gouge across the right side button area on the yoke, about 1.5 inches long.

Now I have to set up another service visit, and pray they don't accuse me of doing this myself.

Okay, now I am a bit angry. I had my first service appointment last week. They for got to fix the rubber seal on the passenger side. I figured "no big deal, I'll live with it". They also didn't fix the rubbing sound on the steering column, even though they did find broken, incorrectly installed parts in the column and replaced those.

But what has me upset right now is I just took a coworker for a ride, and when the sunlight hit the yoke as I was pointing to where the controls are, I saw an L-shaped gouge across the right side button area on the yoke, about 1.5 inches long.

Now I have to set up another service visit, and pray they don't accuse me of doing this myself.

We know you did not do it yourself...;)
(Honestly, was it when you were opening the bottle on the yoke?)

3) since I believe there is no map stored on the car, other than maybe in a cache if you zoom out (what i read to do if cell service will be marginal) i presume/assume/believe the maps are essentially "real time" so if the data source is updated (new roads, development, construction) then the map should have it right away, versus a typical car's annual mapping updates for $X?
Nope. The navigation maps are stored on the car and updated when Tesla feels like it. (You have to connect to WiFi to get the updated maps.) Though they don't charge for the updates. (The satellite map that is displayed is "real time" from Google, but is only used for display purposes, not navigation.)

LOL, no I was pointing out the controls, accidentally hit the wiper fluid (first time that was used), and that is when I saw the scratch.
Gah, that sucks. :( Hope the remaining repairs occur without drama. I'd definitely give them the full remaining list. Maybe someone in a basement back in corporate is collecting stats, and maybe, someday, those stats will make their way onto a slide deck that Elon will see.

Incidentally, accidentally triggering the wiper fluid is among my primary fears. I plan to keep a three-pack of Invisible Glass and a cubic foot of microfiber towels in the frunk.

Gah, that sucks. :( Hope the remaining repairs occur without drama. I'd definitely give them the full remaining list. Maybe someone in a basement back in corporate is collecting stats, and maybe, someday, those stats will make their way onto a slide deck that Elon will see.

Incidentally, accidentally triggering the wiper fluid is among my primary fears. I plan to keep a three-pack of Invisible Glass and a cubic foot of microfiber towels in the frunk.
Ok great profile pic, @planetary!

Does anybody that was in communication with Taptes get any update on the new mud guards? Weren't they supposed to be ready by now?
Yeah, um, no...I don't trust them. It took me disputing the charge with AMEX (and then AMEX reached out to Taptes) for Taptes to issue me a credit on my credit card for the order for the wrong mud flaps (that they incorrectly said on their website were for the 2021 MS). Lesson learned. If you're buying something from China, just buy it on Amazon.com so returns & credits aren't such a hassle. ;)

Reactions: 2101Guy and impastu
I partitioned my SSD today to add boombox sounds. I now have the starting music and start countdown from Mario Kart. I plan to use it at every red light. 😁
We need that music file from Mario Kart! Pls post here so we can save a few precious min as we have to save time to keep up w/ all the other posts on here. Seems I catch up , then go work a bit, then I'm behind 10+ pgs!:p

We need that music file from Mario Kart! Pls post here so we can save a few precious min as we have to save time to keep up w/ all the other posts on here. Seems I catch up , then go work a bit, then I'm behind 10+ pgs!:p
I actually found it on these forums. Just google "Tesla Boombox MP3 files".

Yeah, um, no...I don't trust them. It took me disputing the charge with AMEX (and then AMEX reached out to Taptes) for Taptes to issue me a credit on my credit card for the order for the wrong mud flaps (that they incorrectly said on their website were for the 2021 MS). Lesson learned. If you're buying something from China, just buy it on Amazon.com so returns & credits aren't such a hassle. ;)
Good advice. I do the same.

Nope. The navigation maps are stored on the car and updated when Tesla feels like it. (You have to connect to WiFi to get the updated maps.) Though they don't charge for the updates. (The satellite map that is displayed is "real time" from Google, but is only used for display purposes, not navigation.)
thank you - i always thought the maps were "real time" - i guess as you said the real time was the satellite display. so much for that theory of mine - thanks for the info!

thoughts on the replacement USB/SSD drive?
I'm anxiously awaiting my beast. On the one hand, electronics, memory, etc. generally go down in price, so why buy early?
On the other hand, there are chip shortages, etc. so prices may go up.
On the gripping hand (for you sci fi buffs) i don't know if there will be a memory or usb shortage if/when my beast ever comes.
Any thoughts about now versus maybe black friday sales, etc.?
Also, I think this has been covered many times (sorry) but suggested/recommended storage media, and suggested size? I need my Mario cart countdown! (okay, and i'd like a lot of surveillance for the crappy drivers around these parts!)

Boy, I'm feeling chatty today. So....I was driving through my old stomping grounds yesterday (a ton of stop and go traffic in Staten Island, over the bridge, and the Belt was a parking lot) - anyway, I was wondering how well autopilot handles mundane stop and go.
I was driving my daughter's compass, which is a great little car.
It has active cruise control. Like my other cars with ACC, it won't proceed after you come to a full stop. Also, the braking and accelerating were I suppose technically accurate, but not appropriate for real stop and go traffic - too much of a lag in space, or lag in acceleration, or too much acceleration and braking.
Does autopilot handle that kind of stuff well, or would you instead take over for stop and go traffic?
Thanks!

I was wondering how well autopilot handles mundane stop and go.
There is quite possibly no better car for stop and go traffic than Tesla and autopilot. Traffic still sucks, but it makes it halfway enjoyable.
Also, the braking and accelerating were I suppose technically accurate, but not appropriate for real stop and go traffic - too much of a lag in space, or lag in acceleration, or too much acceleration and braking.
Does autopilot handle that kind of stuff well, or would you instead take over for stop and go traffic?
Yes, it handles all the stopping and going, maintaining the lane, etc. without you needing to intervene. Just keep a hand on the steering apparatus and sit back.

There is quite possibly no better car for stop and go traffic than Tesla and autopilot. Traffic still sucks, but it makes it halfway enjoyable.

Yes, it handles all the stopping and going, maintaining the lane, etc. without you needing to intervene. Just keep a hand on the steering apparatus and sit back.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find autopilot worthless for stop and go traffic. It's too jerky, uncomfortable and leaves way to big a gap to be usable, at least in my area.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find autopilot worthless for stop and go traffic. It's too jerky, uncomfortable and leaves way to big a gap to be usable, at least in my area.
Interesting. I know there were times (software updates) where the autopilot stack got jerky, but would be fixed with a later update. Never to the point where I would turn it off. Wonder if you could adjust your following distance and or accelerator mode to improve that experience? Logged easily 300+ miles weekly in awful, eye gouging traffic. That would have been horrible in an ICE car. Autopilot handled it better than anything else. Including lane changes in bumper to bumper, although in some scenarios I had to give it some accelerator to punch the gap.