Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD updated again overnight. It appears this go around I managed to gain a whole three days. Went from November 3 - 23, to February, and now to October 31 - November 20.
Mine did as well, reigned back in 12 days from Dec 15 - Jan 4th to Dec 3rd to 23rd. I'm really hoping for some time before Thanksgiving, but I'll remain an eternal optimistic when it comes to getting my dream car delivered.

I think you're oversimplifying. I was firmly in the "Plaid is not a good value compared to LR" camp - and now I'm vacillating between the two, and also, my FOMO is peaking - however my range anxiety says to me the extra 100 miles of the Plaid + did/does have a value to me - more so than the increased ponies of the Plaid versus LR. If Plaid + was still around, I'd probably still go for the LR.
There's a book, "Predictably Irrational" and I think Tesla did what was described as anchoring in the book - set a small, medium, large or "good, better, best" and some folks will always gravitate towards the extremes, however the "best" (Plaid + helps the LR look "cheap" where some folks would never get cheapest, and it also shows the Plaid is a great value, as it had a certain amount of what the + had for less). Generally, with the 3 price structure, folks will mostly land in the middle, and you want the middle to be your highest profit area.
Definitely drive both models before deciding. At the very least you should drive a Plaid before deciding.

Definitely drive both models before deciding. At the very least you should drive a Plaid before deciding.
Love this advice. I suspect many people trying to decide between the LR and Plaid probably will think the LR is enough.....until they experience Plaid. Nothing sells performance cars, and especially fast Teslas, like butts in seats. The worst outcome IMO would be to receive your LR, be totally happy with it, and then experience Plaid and be thinking of that everytime you saw or drove your LR. I know this for sure: once you've experienced the Raven or M3P, everything else feels slow in comparison, especially off the line. And the Plaid doesn't fall off like those previous EVs!

@2021plaid Agreed, this experiment wouldn't determine anything conclusive here - for the same reasons I said earlier you can't compare stock 21s with aftermarket 19" wheels and tires!
There is already someone selling their stock arachnids on the for sale forum for $2000. I think the biggest reason I wouldn’t get 21’s is because of potholes and bent wheels. For a daily driver, I don’t have the capacity to deal with bent wheels all the time.

Bull said:
Love this advice. I suspect many people trying to decide between the LR and Plaid probably will think the LR is enough.....until they experience Plaid. Nothing sells performance cars, and especially fast Teslas, like butts in seats. The worst outcome IMO would be to receive your LR, be totally happy with it, and then experience Plaid and be thinking of that everytime you saw or drove your LR. I know this for sure: once you've experienced the Raven or M3P, everything else feels slow in comparison, especially off the line. And the Plaid doesn't fall off like those previous EVs!
I originally drove a Performance S before ordering my 2021 LR+. I told my SA that I was considering the Performance over the LR+. His response was that there was not much difference between the two models. That made me buy the LR+. I loved that car but regretted not buying the Performance model almost every day. Had I driven both I would have not made that mistake. In August I decided to fix my mistake and ordered the Plaid. I am very happy with my choice this time.

There is already someone selling their stock arachnids on the for sale forum for $2000. I think the biggest reason I wouldn’t get 21’s is because of potholes and bent wheels. For a daily driver, I don’t have the capacity to deal with bent wheels all the time.
Two YouTube channel guys have already bent / destroyed their 21" Plaid wheels

say what you will, but a "fist sized rock" (seemed bigger than that) took out two of their rims. Maybe they are drivable, they never said if it is leaking air or not.
That color is just................my mother said if you can't say anything nice, just don't say anything........
cricket-apple.png

We all know why this is, right?

The "Plaid" as it is today is a last minute contingency because once again Elon told himself that the 4680s/structural battery pack/etc. that he hyped up over Twitter would be done in time...then they realized "oh *sugar*, we got all these $150k orders but no car to sell what do we do?"

Then they announced the new "Plaid" with a lot less cool *sugar* but same performance time. Then they saw that no one wanted to convert from a "Plaid+" to a "Plaid" so they delayed it. Then no one STILL wanted the Plaid version, so they cancelled the "Plaid+" and STILL people can order non-white/CF interior Plaids today and get it in weeks lol.

I would've considered a "Plaid+"...structural battery pack with 500+ miles of range would've been worth it, imo. What we have now? LOL, **** no and I wouldn't support Tesla out of spite for what they did.

Also the pricing is just absolutely dumb af. Only people who truly have a *sugar* ton of wealth (or are very irresponsible with money or actually take *sugar* to the track) would pay the $40k difference just to go faster (which is illegal on the street and on the track btw) while basically everything else is exactly the same.

But instead we got "Oh, actually err, uhmm... no one REALLY needs 500 miles of range right?" lol, come on brosaiyans.

TLDR:

$150k would've been worth the 4680s/structural pack/500 miles of range
$130k for none of that? Nah
I really don't understand all of this discussion. Early adopter with money will buy whatever the producers are cranking out. Then they will likely continue buying to maintain fanboi status. Price is not a great concern nor are additional options. (Apple comes to mind) This remains true even if a steaming pile is on the hood of their new car. Simply wipe it off. Bitch about it and gleefully drive away with the vehicle.

Folks chatting about value are not holding the same perspective as those with different value considerations.

I am buying a plaid as my first step into EV with the (for now) ridiculous bleeding edge of the technology. Never thought about Tesla until late year.

I have the means. I do not give a *sugar* about someone else's perception of why it should be valuable to me.

For me, as I cannot speak for anyone else, this is the coolest thing I have ever considered buying.

And I am taking delivery tomorrow. I am glad they did not bump my price as I would have likely bitched about it and paid anyway.

Cheers man

I'll drop my car off for PPF etc and will be there for about a week... that'll probably be the only time my car will go 7 days without some quick acceleration...
Are you planning on getting your car PPF'd in late 2022? That is about when we should ACTUALLY see the Beta Button according to E(lon)StandardTime

That's why they increased the price by $10k, because they accurately priced it in the first place. 🤔

My favorite part of this is when there was a $50k difference between the LR and Plaid, and so many people were arguing how $50k is totally worth it. Pretty sure $70K would be totally "worth it".

I'm not in the camp of people who say the Plaid is not worth it, but why are the Plaid buyers fighting so hard to convince everyone there choice is worth it? I want a Plaid, but I cannot afford it. I honestly think the universe was looking out for me, because I have yet to come across anyone who can make my LR look silly on the road. I also think the Plaid would be overkill with where I live and drive. I can't even open up the LR safely, and there are no 1/4 mile tracks within a few hours of me.
Plaid buyers are not the ones that continue to talk about the value. It’s a handfuf of LR buyers who are obsessed with convincing everyone they made the right decision with the less expensive, slower LR. They keep talking about how Plaid is a worthless upgrade over LR so I simply pointed out that the cost of the Plaid upgrade is standard on $ per HP value in the world of sports cars.

Plaid buyers are not the ones that continue to talk about the value. It’s a handfuf of LR buyers who are obsessed with convincing everyone they made the right decision with the less expensive, slower LR. They keep talking about how Plaid is a worthless upgrade over LR so I simply pointed out that the cost of the Plaid upgrade is standard on $ per HP value in the world of sports cars.
I TOLD YOU MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIPOFF!!!!! ONLY ONE MORE MOTOR!!!!!! SHOULD BE FIFTY MORE MOTORS FOR THAT HEINOUS PRICE!!!!! YOU AREN'T GOING TO USE ALL OF THAT PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Are they shipping with all season now?
I was super concerned and was "lucky" enough to get the Continentals I saw others saying they got in northern locations. I do know many others still got the summer 19 Pirelli's. In fact, a lease pick up, same day and time as me, had the Pirelli's. I was just super happy I didn't have to deal with the "swap" later thing or the arguing with them over whether Pirelli elects were summer or not. Regarding the come back another time when we have them and we'll swap thing....folks aren't getting that in writing that I've noticed (not thinking to ask) and I wonder if Tesla will really eat all those summers for folks being promised they can swap at a later date. So a buyer beware type of thing...again, I thankfully lucked out and it is a good sign as many of the first deliveries folks got were in fact 19 summers unfortunately.