Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car [MS Plaid] is now 40 days old. I noticed this within the first week but I thought it was residue from a sticker or something so i put off cleaning the glass. Today was the first attempt to clean it off and it's actually a scratch!

Anyone seen something like this before on the roof? What can be done about it?

View attachment 723471
A good glass repair technician should be able to fill in that scratch. You might have to look around a bit, but it can be done.

Just because we are always off topic, let me steal @2021plaid positive spotlight for the moment.

Our baby daughter was born on Monday morning. No VIN, model year 2021, manufactured in April (misfit lot FOR SURE), delivered in October. She missed her estimated due date, so that’s not a great sign. She’s perfect in every way. She was delivered down the hall from a peacock photo.

Congrats. Could not ask for anything more important. It almost puts this Tesla waiting/bitching/moaning/quality/EDD issues in perspective - almost.

Just because we are always off topic, let me steal @2021plaid positive spotlight for the moment.

Our baby daughter was born on Monday morning. No VIN, model year 2021, manufactured in April (misfit lot FOR SURE), delivered in October. She missed her estimated due date, so that’s not a great sign. She’s perfect in every way. She was delivered down the hall from a peacock photo.
Panel gaps ok?

But seriously...

Congratulations, man! The only thing that beats a Tesla delivery. :)

Looks great! Where did you get the wheel caps with the Tesla logo? I know someone that's considering powder coating their LR but can't figure out what to do with the caps since Tesla doesn't sell them. Or do they just pop out of the hub caps???
I got them on Amazon. Someone here provided a link before but I risked $22.99 and went with a different vendor so I could get black with the silver logo (since I left the other logos on the car silver). Here is the link for the ones I got (the description says white but the logo is silver).

I was worried about one review that said they didn't fit the 19" wheels on a Y but these fit fine. Takes a little (I mean little) effort to get them to stick almost all the way in then just give them a good pop/ punch in the center and they will pop the rest of the way in. Also, they are just cheap plastic so don't expect anything nice but once they're on, they look good.

Checking back in after a long while and forgot how much I missed reading the forum every day (but I don't miss refreshing my Tesla account daily). I'm really glad to see some who suffered as long or longer than I did waiting finally get their cars or VINs at least. As much as I complained while waiting, I am very happy now so I wish those of you still waiting luck in finally getting your cars.

Some more impressions. First, here is a quick phone pic post PPF + ceramic + powder coating the "fugly" 19" wheels gloss black. I would have changed to the 21s if Elon didn't make them $14,500 post price increase. While some here said powder coating the 19s is like putting lipstick on a pig, I now think the pig here looks mighty fine with lipstick on but my standards are probably lower than most (or I have perpetual beer goggles).

View attachment 723666

Build quality wise, overall I got pretty lucky esp. for an EOQ car. I did go in with this forum's checklist, inspected the car for 2+ hours and came away with a long list of little things that I scheduled a service appointment for. The next day in the sun, I couldn't find most of the issues again even with all the photos so cut my list down to 2 things. Also, I got all the pieces it was supposed to come with. Based on prior posts, I know I am definitely more forgiving than many here so take this with a grain of salt.

I said this before but the Yoke is fine but definitely not better. I am pretty comfortable driving one handed now (bringing back the muscle memory of driving a stick as a kid b/c Dad was too cheap to pay for an automatic which for you young ones out there used to cost extra to get). However, I had a scary moment when I had to quickly make a sharp turn b/c someone cut quickly in my path and I almost had an accident as I grabbed reflexively at air where the top of a round steering wheel would be.

The car is really fun to drive and I don't think I will ever tire of the INSTANT acceleration. I finally understand why my friends with Teslas drive in such a car sick inducing way. Roller coasters are fun and driving even my LR is crazy fast and fun. I don't have the Plaid to compare it to so can't imagine anything faster. I won't repeat all the other issues people have with stalks and turn signals (agree) and shifting (which is fine for me at least)

Good luck to everyone still waiting esp. those with white interiors. I repeat many when I say it was worth it and I got a lot of laughs on this forum.
What kind of range are you seeing in real world driving?

right!! where's yours. all these peeps with much later orders always complaining. I'm not as old as yours but funny seeing people that only ordered 2-3 months ago like wtf. imagine being around when we were looking at permits to figure out when the line might actually start up again? hah :) :)

we'll see on Thursday whether my EDD pushes again. @Leodoc we're almost there
Right?? Ordering in July and freaking out? My OD was way back on 01-15-21..,YO, what about ME??
@Leodoc --Leo, I sit here everyday and HOPE & PRAY I'll be getting into your Club.
I also hate you. You've only suffered like two months.
+100

Well this is a bit disappointing. I'm planning my first trip with my Tesla. 389 miles. I figured it would be just one stop, since my range is supposed to be 375 miles. Nope, it recommends two stops for charging.

Another irritating marketing thing is what is at the bottom of the page. It says I will save $53 in gas, but Mapquest estimates my gas cost at $46, and I assume I will be paying something at the super charger.

Two stops is kind of irritating. When I was playing with the trip planner before I bought my car, it suggested one stop. Now it says two. I can make that trip with one stop in a car that does 25MPG. I've done it dozens of times over the years.

Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

Well this is a bit disappointing. I'm planning my first trip with my Tesla. 389 miles. I figured it would be just one stop, since my range is supposed to be 375 miles. Nope, it recommends two stops for charging.

Another irritating marketing thing is what is at the bottom of the page. It says I will save $53 in gas, but Mapquest estimates my gas cost at $46, and I assume I will be paying something at the super charger.

Two stops is kind of irritating. When I was playing with the trip planner before I bought my car, it suggested one stop. Now it says two. I can make that trip with one stop in a car that does 25MPG. I've done it dozens of times over the years.

View attachment 723746View attachment 723747

Drive slower?

Actually, it may be less time overall to stop twice, rather than once. Since charging to 100% again would take a long time, sometimes it has you leave earlier. Also, they usually have you arrive with a big buffer. IF you want to risk it, you can try stopping once and see if you can coast in....

Have lunch with me in Greenwich and you’ll be fully charged for the remaining distance.

Edits: And your cost of kWh at SuC is probably $30 for the trip. It you’ll start with a full load from home so less on average.
Also, the actual range in cold weather and highway driving is probably 25-30% lower. My wife would say it’s half … but that’s bull

Did you use a better route planner (highly accurate, btw)?

I did from providence RI to Baltimore (not the EXACT route) and it was only one stop for 10 minutes... Either way, if you are leaving at 90% SoC, you shouldnt have to stop twice unless you are driving 90.

Have lunch with me in Greenwich and you’ll be fully charged for the remaining distance.
Only problem is I will be coming through there at about 10 AM. 🤣

At least where I am visiting has an 8 dock super charger 10 minutes away.

I know my Dad won't let me charge at his house. He takes the knobs off the outside faucet, so no one steals his water. 🤪 I can only imagine a conversation about leaving an extension cord out overnight.

I have almost 14k miles in less than 4 months and 15 states. I seldom have used the Tesla GPS to determine were to stop but more of a reference. I use a Better Route Planner Classic . I stop for much longer (30-45mins) than Tesla states because I plan it around things. The charge is not always the main reason. I plan it around lunch, work, stay, tinkle, etc.

Do not stress on the range. Tesla has taught me to enjoy the journey more.

ETA: On trip days, I boost to 95% SOC just before leaving.

Last edited:
I have almost 14k miles in less than 4 months and 15 states. I seldom have used the Tesla GPS to determine were to stop but more of a reference. I use a Better Route Planner Classic . I stop for much longer (30-45mins) than Tesla states because I plan it around things. The charge is not always the main reason. I plan it around lunch, work, stay, tinkle, etc.

Do not stress on the range. Tesla has taught me to enjoy the journey more.

ETA: On trip days, I boost to 95% SOC just before leaving.
I like the flexibility of Plug Share. But I couldn’t figure out how to get the plug share route onto the Tesla Nav (to check percent expected at SuC) without just programming in the SuC itself. Then the next SuC , etc. any tips?

I like the flexibility of Plug Share. But I couldn’t figure out how to get the plug share route onto the Tesla Nav (to check percent expected at SuC) without just programming in the SuC itself. Then the next SuC , etc. any tips?

When Elon quits lying about giving waypoints, the Tesla incar satnav will be much more useful.

I am not sure how to sync either that or ABRP with the car.

When Elon quits lying about giving waypoints, the Tesla incar satnav will be much more useful.

Yes, waypoints will be awesome to have available. I tried to add a stop to my trip via voice command and it was a no go. 😄. That’s when I figured out what the waypoint discussion was all about.

So when we get waypoints is he retroactively not a liar or is he a former liar? a reformed liar? No longer a liar? Never was a liar? I'm just not sure of the rules regarding lying. Don't worry, just satire.

What SOC will you arrive at? If the arrival charge level does not matter then 1 stop may be enough.... but based on what you said about your Dad I am guessing you need a lot more when you arrive- which makes sense.