Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When FSD is upgraded does Tesla make you buy it again? I guess we can start with that difference right there.
I don't know what you are saying as FSD has never been delivered, 99% of people do not have it and it's still in Beta (potentially forever). So yes TLSA did pull a BMW by promising FSD with "current hardware" and then making people pay more for it later.

My Model S EDD keeps accelerating into the future! It slipped an entire quarter in 4 weeks!

4 weeks ago: Jan 2022
Today: April 2022

Hypothesis: Fremont pushed most S and X production out of 2021 to focus on the EOY push for 3 and Y. They can achieve record unit production figures since the build rate for 3 and Y is much faster. The expectation is Texas will start to rollout cars in Q1/2022 which will allow Fremont to build more S and X units without impacting overall unit production figures.

Hypothesis: Fremont pushed most S and X production out of 2021 to focus on the EOY push for 3 and Y. They can achieve record unit production figures since the build rate for 3 and Y is much faster. The expectation is Texas will start to rollout cars in Q1/2022 which will allow Fremont to build more S and X units without impacting overall unit production figures.
3 and Y are different lines at Fremont than S and X. So they would be stalling a line to make this happens. Makes no sense. Not like you can just throw more hands in there to make more 3s and Ys when so much is automated / robotics already.

OK FRIENDS & LOVERS ALIKE! IVE GOT THE APPOINTMENT SCHEDULED FOR TWO WEEKS FROM NOW (yes, really). IM NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP SO APOLOGIZES FOR THIS POST AND ALL FUTURE POSTS UNTIL I GET THE CAR!!!!

♥️Tigers
I think it was that post about waiting for a ‘22 VIN. I’m trying that.

Our cars are both 431 VINs though. They must have been building them with whatever parts they had at that point. Mine has the trailer hitch connector in the drivers footwell also. That is gone in later builds.
Yeah well, hose this up n down malarkey. I’m going to reject my car when it comes. I’ll be in New Zealand at the time it gets here and I’m going to hold out for a ‘22 VIN.

I read somewhere that 455 built on November 2 and 454 is last week of October.
Just called in and got a build date of 11/4 for my MF454 VIN. When I asked for the build date the guy audibly swallowed and said "Do you want to know about whether it's a '21 or '22?" I'm guessing there have been angry calls.

My car is "in transit but we don't know anything else at this time" (I mean, i assume that's a lie, but it's Tesla so...). Amazing how some SAs will tell you the state the car is in, and others are Fort Knox.

What is the trailer hitch connector? Pics?
It is a good source for connecting to switched power for dashcams and radar detectors without tapping monitored lines. You can buy the connector from Tesla to plug into it and then have a non-invasive connection to power. Easy to route wiring to also as it is in the drivers side footwell.

Pics and more info here: 12V Access: Model S 2021 Refresh

I took my first road trip in my MSLR last weekend. For those not interested in this, please move along. 😛

I planned to drive from Rhode Island to Maryland, a 400 mile trip. Tesla recommended two stops, one for 10 minutes and one for 15. That struck me as a disappointment, since I have a 375 mile range and the distance is 400 miles. But the two shorter stops vs. one longer stop seemed practical, and since this was my first EV trip, I wanted to be conservative with my range estimates.

I was taking my 11 year old daughter and my 20 year old niece with me. I have been raising my niece since she was 14. Her sister lives in Pennsylvania. She asked me if we could stop in Hanover to pick up her sister for the weekend. They haven't seen each other since before Covid, so I couldn't say no. That is where the trip got complicated.

I remember the Plaid event. Elon asked everyone if there were any improvements they would like to see, and everyone screamed WAYPOINTS! I have never owned a Tesla before, so I didn't think much about it. I figured it was a route app that was preferred, like having Apple Music. I figure out what the issue was quickly when I tried to plan the supercharger stops to Maryland, by way of Hanover, Pennsylvania. I couldn't. Tesla was planning to get me to Hanover with 13% battery remaining. I couldn't tell it I need to make it to Baltimore, Maryland.

After searching for solutions on this forum, I downloaded A Better Route Planner. This app is amazing. It calculated all of my waypoints and provided the supercharger stops I would need. Now I had two options. Navigate to Baltimore using my phone app, or manually put each leg of my route into the Tesla every time I stopped. I chose to do it manually, to use the Tesla maps. Step up your game Tesla. Not having this functionality is an Achilles heel for your charging network.

On to my trip.

Leaving the house turned into one of the funnier moments of my life. My wife was not coming with us, so she was just there to see us off. You should all know my sense of humor by now. Just before backing out of the garage, I hit the mic button and said "Play Holiday Road". As the theme song from Vacation was playing, I looked up through the glass roof to make sure the luggage would clear the garage. There was no luggage up there, but I knew I would get a laugh from my wife for the movie reference. I backed down the driveway. As I cleared the driveway, I turned the yoke and this happened:

View attachment 731439

That's right, the airbag dropped into my lap. The previous day, I had a mobile appointment to replace the yoke. The service department had scratched the finish near the wiper button a month earlier. The technician admitted this was the first time he got to see a yoke. Apparently he did not clip the airbag in properly. Fortunately, this kind of stuff is in my wheel house. I figured what he did wrong, a secondary retaining clip for the wire harness. I reassembled the airbag and was good to go. I will say though, you get a real sense of mortality when an explosive device drops into your crotch. I'll have service take this apart again to verify my work in the near future.

My 11 year old kept asking me to play Holiday Road all weekend. I told her that song is banned for the remainder of the trip.

My first stop was in Stanford CT. A member here recommended this supercharger because of the bakery. We weren't hungry enough for the bakery, but we did use the restrooms in Starbucks, and then had a snack. By the time we were done in Starbucks, the car was charged. No inconvenience whatsoever. This would be true for every supercharger stop, where we used the bathroom, had a small snack or meal, and then were ready to go right around when the car was charged.

I consistently charged to 80-85%, even though the recommendations were always between 65-75%. I did this because I left the car in insane mode, and I love to drive for fun instead of range. This would pay off on the way back, where I lost 10% of my charge racing a Cadillac CT-5 Blackwing. I'll talk about that more later.

I started using autopilot more consistently after the first stop. I didn't have a use for it until this trip, but using it definitely reduced the fatigue of long distance driving. I enjoyed being able to stretch, relax a bit, and enjoy the scenery more. What I did not expect was my car putting me in time out for not following the rules.

I had autopilot set to 80 MPH, and was in the fast lane. I was passing a semi when he put his blinker on. A slower semi was in front of him. I knew if he had to brake for me, he would lose his momentum, and then could no longer pass the slower semi. I floored to to get out of his way. When I hit 90 MPH a warning chime sounded, the driver screen started flashing red, and a message told me to take over manually. My car then informed me that I had exceeded the maximum speed for autopilot. No big deal, now I know to disengage autopilot before accelerating like that in the future.

I went to re-engage autopilot and my car informed me "Autopilot has been disabled for the remainder of the drive, you exceeded the maximum speed limit. OMG...my car is disciplining me. My niece laughed at me. Not one to be outsmarted by a software engineer, I pulled to the shoulder, placed the vehicle in park, put it back into drive, and then re-engaged autopilot when I got back to highway speeds.

The only other issue I had with autopilot was on a country road. There was a short steep hill, the ones you see quite often on country roads when it goes ever a stream or something. I had autopilot on at 40 MPH. The vehicle saw that small steep hill as an impassable barrier and freaked out, requiring me to disengage autopilot and manually drive over the hill. Other than those two incidents, autopilot was amazing.

Once I made it to Baltimore, I took a few people for some drives to show off a launch and the technology. Everyone was amazed. My 23 year old son got to launch the Tesla himself. He drives a Camaro that he is quite proud of. After driving my Tesla, he said "there is no reason ANY car should have this much power". I laughed and told him the Plaid is 33% faster.

We stayed at a hotel that had EV charging. The website left us with the impression charging was a free courtesy, but when we arrived we found out it was part of the Blink charging network. The hotel staff had literally no clue how to use it. When I pressed them they offered no help. I didn't have time to mess with it on Friday, so I continued using a nearby Tesla supercharger in White Marsh, Maryland, for the weekend.

On my last night there, I had two choices. Use the Blink network for a fee, or waste 30 minutes Sunday morning at the supercharger for a 90% charge. I really wanted to leave with 100% charge, so I created a Blink account and slow charged to 100% overnight. They charged me $0.55 per KwH, which ended up costing me $22.68. I believe I was around 65% charge to start, so a full charge would have cost me $50-$60. That's about a tank of gas. Welcome to capitalism at work folks. Gas costs will be replaced by equivalent charging costs at third party chargers. Good grief.

The drive home was just as enjoyable as the drive out. This was a new experience. Most road trips are fun when you start, but a slow death march to home when it ends. The Tesla made both directions a complete joy.

Somewhere in Pennsylvania, I came across a red Cadillac CT-5 Blackwing stuck in traffic with me. I was following him for some time when the car in the fast lane gave him a gap to break free in the slow lane. He punched it, cutting over to the slow lane. I followed, and when he switched to the fast lane I stayed in the slow lane and blew past him. I hit 110, then slowed back to 90 so he could catch me. When he did, I punched it again. We were neck and neck initially since he had the momentum, then I slowly pulled away. We hit 135 before seeing traffic up ahead and slowed back to 70. He beeped at me and stuck a thumbs up out of his sunroof. We spent the next 20 miles playing on the clear straightaways. At some point a Mercedes and Audi joined us in the fun. It ended once we started hitting our exits, but that was the most fun I have ever had driving. I wish I had thought to record it. It's a good thing I charged to 100%. I lost 10% battery during that short distance, and rolled into the supercharger at 13%.

One last note: The map was frustrating me on surface streets because it kept zooming out to show the whole route when I needed to zoom in to see the turns. I started venting about this to my niece, and talking about how Tesla needs to fix this. Then I accidentally figured out it was my own fault. If you have the direction overlay open to show several turns at once, it zooms out to show the whole route. If you slide the direction overlay to only show the next one or two turns, it zooms in to show the streets, and places your car icon facing north on the screen. Well played Tesla.

All told, the trip was a thrill. I can't wait to take another road trip. The Tesla made the drive one of the best parts of the trip. I have a friend in Pittsburgh. Maybe I'll just take the weekend to go have lunch with him. 😎

View attachment 731436
View attachment 731440
View attachment 731438
I can't believe there are 20 comments beneath this regarding mood lighting and zero about "hey my airbag fell off and could have killed me"...

I can't believe there are 20 comments beneath this regarding mood lighting and zero about "hey my airbag fell off and could have killed me"...
honestly i freaked out when I got to that part but after finishing the next 3 pages of the narrative forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. WHAT THE ****!¿! How could they be so irresponsible to let a literal bomb fall into your lap. That absolutely disgusts me, one of the worst service related things ive seen out of Tesla. Worse than the roof flying off of a new car. I mean seriously that was a live airbag. When im working on a car I won't even touch one of those things until the 12v circuit has been powered down for 10 minutes. Thank god nothing happened. I hope someone is given hell over that incident.