Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe someone just moved the goal post for us Plaid owners.

Given the lengths some over the pond went to on HP gate, it is a very good thing Elon did not ship any "200 mph" Plaids to Europe needing only "proper wheels and tires". Personally I could care less about 200 mph of kinetic energy in an almost 5k lb car. The debris field is just toooooo big but there are going to be some pissed people out there.

Tesla, if you learned anything from HP gate, or L batterygate, you might want to get out ahead of this one least it too turns around and bites you in the butt.

Nah, this is Tesla. Never mind.

Last edited:
Update Update: Per Tesla, it was a firmware that toasted the computer and a "known issue". They overnighted a new one, installed it immediately, had Fremont Engineering remotely confirm everything, and I picked it up this afternoon. The SC went above and beyond - they even put me in a MYP as a loaner.

Not holding my breath for the next SC visit. Starting a pool here on what will be next.

ETA: They way they described part of it was like a bad villain B movie. They stated the vehicle just woke itself up and tried to download an update on its own. They stopped it knowing it would just die again without the new computer.

It’s been a long strange journey to get here but finally have a beaut of a Model S in my driveway. Some thoughts and observations for those still waiting, from a prior Model 3 owner.

Let’s kick off with “the Tesla experience” overall. Well, it still sucks but it’s getting better! I hopped a Lyft to the DC (last time I spent an hour inspecting the car in November, my wife wanted to murder me after). My car was ready an hour early; paperwork in the car; “go inspect and sign when you’re done.” Not even an offer of a bottle of water. But we all expect that.

I step out and there it is - covered in swirlies straight from the factory, and a light layer of dust. Of course. And the frunk is slightly misaligned. Sigh. This is going to be a full inspection isn’t it?

After about an hour, I’ve gotten a detailer out to buff a few clear coat scratches, documented misaligned door trim on the passenger side, a misaligned door, a seat wrinkle, and a couple of other things. Frankly, it’s all way better than my 3; most of it is fixable; maybe the passenger door is, maybe it isn’t. Throughout it, the guy working on my delivery remains positive, cheerful, and helpful. He’s great and it’s killing me that I lost his name - @donandersonjr if you get a shorter 40ish Hispanic guy, he’s the man and a delight to work with.

So at this point, I’ve documented a fairly normal catalogue of Tesla errors. I’m frustrated. It’s a lot of money to have these mistakes. But, I also knew it would happen. These guys don’t make perfect cars. So I sit there for a while, in the beautiful interior, looking at the massive screen, noticing I can’t hear the two women next to me who have been shrieking over their Y for the past 45 minutes…

Yep, sorry @Tigers , we ain’t all strong like you. Boats burned by taking a Lyft. Paperwork signed, keys set up, let’s roll. At the advice of the guys at the storefront, I drop it down into sport mode, roll out of the mall, prepare to punch it… and boom, it’s thanksgiving day traffic on 93 in the Boston area. 75 minutes to get home at about 15-20mph. Dammit.

Ok. Now let’s talk what I like.
1) headlights. They’re still pretty good. Not M3 level but perfectly fine for me.
2) interior. Man oh man. What an improvement over the 3. It’s gorgeous in there. I’m generally into mid century modern and Nordic design. Tesla works for me perfectly.
3) the ride, oh, the ride… my tailbone is so pleased. The seats really are nice but that ride makes everything better. Bumping thru Boston potholes was still annoying but I didn’t feel every shock.
4) smooth ride, big booty - and yet the one time I punched it, the car shrank around me. It’s responsive and quick. I don’t want to carve corners the way I did in my 3; that car begs for it; but I definitely could.
5) I think this is an upgrade to the 3 in every way just like @jamieb told me.

I have more thoughts for another time. If you’ve hung in there to the end with me, here are some pics of the good and the bad!

Attachments

• DD42BE28-1991-4DA0-9EE6-2440DA5631F6.jpeg
    DD42BE28-1991-4DA0-9EE6-2440DA5631F6.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 93
  • B41B45D7-60D9-4DD6-BE09-952819DE535E.jpeg
    B41B45D7-60D9-4DD6-BE09-952819DE535E.jpeg
    997.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 81C9A188-A238-4642-B1FE-8906A758DC2A.jpeg
    81C9A188-A238-4642-B1FE-8906A758DC2A.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 83
Ok WOW but thanks to BabyTesla on Twitter, look at the new footnote under 200mph!!! Looks like there won't be standalone tires for that speed (which fits the theory I had about the Arachnids being good for 200), but it might require the new brakes!

View attachment 736929
I’d be furious if I were a plaid buyer who was misled into thinking only thing needed for 200mph top speed is wheels. Now a switcheroo after buying the plaid changing the narrative? SURELY Tesla knew a $20k brake upgrade would be needed before now. But stating that upfront may have deterred some plaid sales.

Will be interesting to see who s first to sue for free $20k brake kit and 200mph limit

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up. If you complain and thus let them know you are monitoring your car they will turn off access while they have the car next time to prevent you from having any insight as to what is going on.

Also, for a fellow S. Floridian, my P85D went in for an L upgrade and the pack did not pass the battery vacuum test. The result was three months sitting outside in the S. FL sun. When I got it back, the adhesive around my driver's display was starting to show all the way around the periphery. It's a bit of a shame that we have to put up with kids playing at business but there you have it.
Is there anyway to address it with someone higher? I feel like their system is purposely rigged so you can’t talk to anyone but a basic advisor who just tells you they’ll take care of everything, then put the car outside and not give a damn until someone gets bored and gets around to looking at it

It’s been a long strange journey to get here but finally have a beaut of a Model S in my driveway. Some thoughts and observations for those still waiting, from a prior Model 3 owner.

Let’s kick off with “the Tesla experience” overall. Well, it still sucks but it’s getting better! I hopped a Lyft to the DC (last time I spent an hour inspecting the car in November, my wife wanted to murder me after). My car was ready an hour early; paperwork in the car; “go inspect and sign when you’re done.” Not even an offer of a bottle of water. But we all expect that.

I step out and there it is - covered in swirlies straight from the factory, and a light layer of dust. Of course. And the frunk is slightly misaligned. Sigh. This is going to be a full inspection isn’t it?

After about an hour, I’ve gotten a detailer out to buff a few clear coat scratches, documented misaligned door trim on the passenger side, a misaligned door, a seat wrinkle, and a couple of other things. Frankly, it’s all way better than my 3; most of it is fixable; maybe the passenger door is, maybe it isn’t. Throughout it, the guy working on my delivery remains positive, cheerful, and helpful. He’s great and it’s killing me that I lost his name - @donandersonjr if you get a shorter 40ish Hispanic guy, he’s the man and a delight to work with.

So at this point, I’ve documented a fairly normal catalogue of Tesla errors. I’m frustrated. It’s a lot of money to have these mistakes. But, I also knew it would happen. These guys don’t make perfect cars. So I sit there for a while, in the beautiful interior, looking at the massive screen, noticing I can’t hear the two women next to me who have been shrieking over their Y for the past 45 minutes…

Yep, sorry @Tigers , we ain’t all strong like you. Boats burned by taking a Lyft. Paperwork signed, keys set up, let’s roll. At the advice of the guys at the storefront, I drop it down into sport mode, roll out of the mall, prepare to punch it… and boom, it’s thanksgiving day traffic on 93 in the Boston area. 75 minutes to get home at about 15-20mph. Dammit.

Ok. Now let’s talk what I like.
1) headlights. They’re still pretty good. Not M3 level but perfectly fine for me.
2) interior. Man oh man. What an improvement over the 3. It’s gorgeous in there. I’m generally into mid century modern and Nordic design. Tesla works for me perfectly.
3) the ride, oh, the ride… my tailbone is so pleased. The seats really are nice but that ride makes everything better. Bumping thru Boston potholes was still annoying but I didn’t feel every shock.
4) smooth ride, big booty - and yet the one time I punched it, the car shrank around me. It’s responsive and quick. I don’t want to carve corners the way I did in my 3; that car begs for it; but I definitely could.
5) I think this is an upgrade to the 3 in every way just like @jamieb told me.

I have more thoughts for another time. If you’ve hung in there to the end with me, here are some pics of the good and the bad!

Congrats on the car!

I had a model 3 before too and the quick drive I did it is very clear it is leaps and bounds better than a model 3.

Let us know how ownership goes!

Is there anyway to address it with someone higher? I feel like their system is purposely rigged so you can’t talk to anyone but a basic advisor who just tells you they’ll take care of everything, then put the car outside and not give a damn until someone gets bored and gets around to looking at it
In the beginning...............

All kidding aside, I used to be able to talk with different folks throughout the management chain when I had an issue. Tesla has wised up. Management likely understands the blow back from their policies and they have tried to build a wall between management and "customer facing" assets. Yes, they actually have a term for people that can talk to customers.

I found out just how serious this policy is on my Plaid purchase. I worked on the guy that promised a June delivery for over a month trying to get further up the food chain. Basically, I did not accept a resolution to a problem and wanted to present my position to someone in a position to make a decision not someone who could only relay a decision. I finally got a call back from a lady who said she headed the group and had the authority to make adjustments to the purchase agreement if needed. She listened to me (I think as I heard her working on something while I was talking) and then said no.

Fast forward to my delivery and I get a call from someone in Fremont that (1) made an adjustment to my MVPA and (2) confirmed that the lady I spoke with did not have the authority to make changes to MPVAs. In short, the customer facing assets at Tesla have had the fear of Gawd put in them should a customer sneak past the wall so much so that they will lie to you to shut down a problem.

This was the sales side and the service side may very well be different. Unlike others, I've never had an issue with working through warranty/quality issues so there has not been the need to climb the chain to get an issue resolved. Perhaps it is different on the service side.

Back on topic, pick up set for Dec. 6th with my buddy picking up his on the 7th. Both cars are on the same train mid way across the continent (another example where the service folks have been beyond helpful while the sales folks could not be bothered).

In the beginning...............

All kidding aside, I used to be able to talk with different folks throughout the management chain when I had an issue. Tesla has wised up. Management likely understands the blow back from their policies and they have tried to build a wall between management and "customer facing" assets. Yes, they actually have a term for people that can talk to customers.

I found out just how serious this policy is on my Plaid purchase. I worked on the guy that promised a June delivery for over a month trying to get further up the food chain. Basically, I did not accept a resolution to a problem and wanted to present my position to someone in a position to make a decision not someone who could only relay a decision. I finally got a call back from a lady who said she headed the group and had the authority to make adjustments to the purchase agreement if needed. She listened to me (I think as I heard her working on something while I was talking) and then said no.

Fast forward to my delivery and I get a call from someone in Fremont that (1) made an adjustment to my MVPA and (2) confirmed that the lady I spoke with did not have the authority to make changes to MPVAs. In short, the customer facing assets at Tesla have had the fear of Gawd put in them should a customer sneak past the wall so much so that they will lie to you to shut down a problem.

This was the sales side and the service side may very well be different. Unlike others, I've never had an issue with working through warranty/quality issues so there has not been the need to climb the chain to get an issue resolved. Perhaps it is different on the service side.

Back on topic, pick up set for Dec. 6th with my buddy picking up his on the 7th. Both cars are on the same train mid way across the continent (another example where the service folks have been beyond helpful while the sales folks could not be bothered).
Car was dropped off on Friday morning and the guy said it’ll be done by Saturday night, Monday the latest. On Monday he tells me Tuesday, on Tuesday he tells me Wednesday, all that while they didn’t even look at the car or order any replacement parts. TeslaFi shows them driving it from drop off to a spot in the lot and then the car not moving an inch from that spot. Just left there sitting for 5 days with doors unlocked. Why even make an appointment if with that system I might as well just drop the car off whenever and they can get around to it whenever they feel like it.

I’d be furious if I were a plaid buyer who was misled into thinking only thing needed for 200mph top speed is wheels. Now a switcheroo after buying the plaid changing the narrative? SURELY Tesla knew a $20k brake upgrade would be needed before now. But stating that upfront may have deterred some plaid sales.

Will be interesting to see who s first to sue for free $20k brake kit and 200mph limit
Only someone who opted out of the arbitration clause, within 30 days of delivery - if there are such folks....

Only someone who opted out of the arbitration clause, within 30 days of delivery - if there are such folks....
That was the FIRST thing I did with my old S and my wifes Y. And will be the first thing I do with my LR once it arrives. Arbitration is for the benefit of the big company, rarely ever the buyer

You may opt out of arbitration on within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539- 7970, sta ng your name, Vehicle Identification Number, and intent to opt out of the arbitration provision.

For those who choose to opt out, I highly suggest sending certified or registered mail (or something with tracking that shows/proves receipt) and keeping copies of the letter, proof of delivery, etc, in your files. I think its been proven a bit that we arent dealing with a company that places the customer first (or even second..or third..and does things like batterygate) and changes rules/things on the fly and at a whim.

Last edited:

I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion, if I was a driver who went 200mph, I’d know the equipment needed to do it and not rely on adverts for the info. Very similar to any piece of machinery be it a plane, glider, boat or car. For somebody to think they could drive 200mph based on an instruction manual is the epitome of complacency.

I read @lolachampcar posts and see so much knowledge and insight. He’s a driver who, with all his knowledge, wouldn’t take a 5000lb car to 200mph, regardless of the breaks. I may be totally off base with this kind set, but if I wanted to do that, it’d be in the air.

All that useless opinion shared, if I had pulled the trigger on the Plaid, with Teslas 200mph advert at the price they had it at, I’d be talking to an attorney about false/misleading advertising to gain a sale.

So, it looks like there will now be full peacock Plaids and peasant Plaids. :)

If the new 200 mph requirements are more than the previously advertised wheels and tires, it will be interesting to see how Tesla handles Plaid owners who took delivery before the wording change. I'll assume good intent for now. I also have no plans on going 200 mph, but I would like to get everything I paid for.

I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion, if I was a driver who went 200mph, I’d know the equipment needed to do it and not rely on adverts for the info. Very similar to any piece of machinery be it a plane, glider, boat or car. For somebody to think they could drive 200mph based on an instruction manual is the epitome of complacency.

I read @lolachampcar posts and see so much knowledge and insight. He’s a driver who, with all his knowledge, wouldn’t take a 5000lb car to 200mph, regardless of the breaks. I may be totally off base with this kind set, but if I wanted to do that, it’d be in the air.

All that useless opinion shared, if I had pulled the trigger on the Plaid, with Teslas 200mph advert at the price they had it at, I’d be talking to an attorney about false/misleading advertising to gain a sale.
I agree. I am very unlikely to ever drive 200mph but what I bought was a 200mph car as clearly advertised by Tesla. Now Tesla is saying it really is not a 200mph car. I would think that they either have to make the car what they advertised or start issuing refunds.