Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please do not get me wrong. I have nothing against people that want to do the airport 1/2 mile runs and such or any other ways to have fun with the 200 mph. Those events can be a bucket of fun. It's just not my thing.
Oh yeah. I didn’t mean to imply you did. I don’t either. Maybe my post came off like that. I was speaking on a personal level and applying your info to myself. Probably came off as opinionated, that was my bad.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah they're not the same, - one is a matter of timing, and the other is literally reneging on what was offered.
I humbly disagree. The most current wording is not clear. It could mean $4500 tires and wheels, but likely not. We all are just speculating right now. The $20k brakes may or may not be required. I would guess so, as the stockers are under performers at current speeds. In any case, I don’t plan on pushing a 5000 pound car to 200 mph anyways.

I humbly disagree. The most current wording is not clear. It could mean $4500 tires and wheels, but likely not. We all are just speculating right now. The $20k brakes may or may not be required. I would guess so, as the stockers are under performers as current speeds.

Absolutely it's not clear, whereas it was reasonably clear before.

Considering the previous verbiage covered that, by being specific about wheels and tires, this move to a vagary is concerning, and likely with "good" reason.

Consider also Motortrend's article, with this line:

"Two sets of wheels are available on the Model S Plaid. Standard are 19-inch "Tempest" wheels, while optional are 21-inch "Arachnid" wheels, which come standard with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (like seen on our recent test Model S Plaid). It's the latter set of wheels and tires—the 21-inch ones—that are needed if you'd like your Plaid to eventually be able to hit 200 mph. Tesla says this wheel and tire package has recently been validated at the claimed top speed."

What You Need to Go 200 MPH in a Model S Plaid

So you see, this change on the site is troubling...

Absolutely it's not clear, whereas it was reasonably clear before.

Considering the previous verbiage covered that, by being specific about wheels and tires, this move to a vagary is concerning, and likely with "good" reason.

Consider also Motortrend's article, with this line:

"Two sets of wheels are available on the Model S Plaid. Standard are 19-inch "Tempest" wheels, while optional are 21-inch "Arachnid" wheels, which come standard with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (like seen on our recent test Model S Plaid). It's the latter set of wheels and tires—the 21-inch ones—that are needed if you'd like your Plaid to eventually be able to hit 200 mph. Tesla says this wheel and tire package has recently been validated at the claimed top speed."

What You Need to Go 200 MPH in a Model S Plaid

So you see, this change on the site is troubling...
Definitely troubling, but why, remains unknown. Oh, and I bet you do need wheels and tires (21s or zero G), so that works for the prior and current language…. BOHICA more likely than not, but we won’t know for some time, if ever. Maybe by the time you can play Witcher in the back (or front) seat! 😂

890A4FA8-428C-49FF-9163-24AF1D380CDE.gif

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Definitely troubling, but why, remains unknown. Oh, and I bet you do need wheels and tires (21s or zero G), so that works for the prior and current language…. BOHICA more likely than not, but we won’t know for some time, if ever. Maybe by the time you can play Witcher in the back (or front) seat! 😂

Good thing I already beat The Witcher III some years back. What a phenomenal game. :D

It'll be interesting to see Tesla wrangle out of this one if it's more than just wheels/tires (which I'm almost certain it will be). Then again, they advertised the car with AutoPark for the last 6 months, and our cars only just got that feature. Caraoke is still advertised, and is nowhere to be seen on our cars. Active Noise Cancelling just became Active Road Noise Reduction, and the list likely goes on. I won't include the articulating screen in my argument since I believe that verbiage was removed before delivery, though I feel like they probably should have reached out to customers to say this is no longer included, but... meh...

Anyway, this is all par for the course for Tesla, as we know.

Yeah they're not the same, - one is a matter of timing, and the other is literally reneging on what was offered.

Tesla also claimed that all hardware necessary for FSD was included standard on the car, whether you pay for FSD software or not.
I bought EAP, assuming I'd always be running a feature-limited version of the same FSD software, because my car was supposed to have the same hardware as FSD.

But I guess not. My HW2.5 computer is now obsolete and I have to pay $1000 for the HW3 computer since I only purchased EAP.

There are EAP features, such as smart summon, that are unusable and are never going to get better since HW2.5 development is dead. I was sold a usable feature, but it's worthless in its current state. Smart summon should get a lot better, maybe even usable once it's running on the latest FSD beta codebase but my car won't ever get that version.

No one seems to care. This applies to tens of thousands of cars. Maybe even a hundred thousand. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla tries to get away with it on the Plaid 200mph issue. I don't know why they do *sugar* like this, it barely makes a dent in their finances. They're still operating as if they are days from bankruptcy.

@omarsultan But, no different than the false advertising of FSD on the order page in 2019. And with that, there was no restitution. BOHICA.

@WilliamG
I think the difference is that the 200 mph is attainable, just not with the delivered car as advertised. FSD is still a work in progress and not released. I think the analog would be if they declared FSD feature complete, but then told folks that had already bought FSD that they would need to pay for the HW4 upgrade to get it.

I think the difference is that the 200 mph is attainable, just not with the delivered car as advertised. FSD is still a work in progress and not released. I think the analog would be if they declared FSD feature complete, but then told folks that had already bought FSD that they would need to pay for the HW4 upgrade to get it.
Wait for it…..

Tesla also claimed that all hardware necessary for FSD was included standard on the car, whether you pay for FSD software or not.
I bought EAP, assuming I'd always be running a feature-limited version of the same FSD software, because my car was supposed to have the same hardware as FSD.

But I guess not. My HW2.5 computer is now obsolete and I have to pay $1000 for the HW3 computer since I only purchased EAP.

There are EAP features, such as smart summon, that are unusable and are never going to get better since HW2.5 development is dead. I was sold a usable feature, but it's worthless in its current state. Smart summon should get a lot better, maybe even usable once it's running on the latest FSD beta codebase but my car won't ever get that version.

No one seems to care. This applies to tens of thousands of cars. Maybe even a hundred thousand. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla tries to get away with it on the Plaid 200mph issue. I don't know why they do *sugar* like this, it barely makes a dent in their finances. They're still operating as if they are days from bankruptcy.
Improvement of subsets of features under EAP were not guaranteed. FSD hardware upgrade to HW3 is free if you purchase FSD as promised.

Also what’s everyone’s opinion on luxury dealers reselling the model s long range at $112,000 without FSD ?
I think it’s kinda odd, but at the same time it is what it is :/
Tbh it just seems like they are taking advantage of the combination of long wait times and low supply of vehicles, and the relative newness of the refreshed MS. :)

There is at least one plaid driver who posts his racing videos at Virginia International Raceway regularly, showing his plaid out accelerating everything, then hitting the 163mph limit..and getting passed...

So there are DEFINITELY people who have a need for the limiter to be removed

Yea, I'll definitely need it removed at the half mile events and if the base I'm close to still does full mile events that as well.