Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, Tesla, Tesla, Tesla...

I think my potential ownership of a Tesla vehicle may be officially over. Not directly Model S related (what is on here?), but I get an email last week:

"Hey *sugar* for brains - take delivery of your Model 3 order right now or your order is going to be cancelled"

Now - I put my Model 3 order in mid-October and got my first VIN a few weeks before my Model S. I ordered a Model 3 in case I didn't like the S, I was going to go and get that instead. I have had a Jan 1 2022 hold on it for the last month, as I was waiting on the Model S (which most of you know I declined because it was a huge POS).

I tell Tesla "yes, I still want the car, but I'm traveling almost every week in December, can we keep the hold until Jan 1?"

They tell me "LOL - go **** yourself, take it now or suck a big one"

Let me recap my Tesla experience this year:

- I order a Model S at the end of Jan 2021.
- They tell me March
- I sell my Model 3 in late Feb
- They tell me April
- They tell me July
- They tell me August
- They tell me September
- They tell me October
- I order a Model 3 mid-October after being told late October - mid November
- Mid-November they deliver me a dirty car with misaligned doors and trim that's already bent wrong and popping out of the dash, I decline
- Late November "that car you ordered a month ago, take it or blow it out your ass"

Gotta love companies that have zero ****ing clue on costumer service.

Also, @cwanja - sorry to hear about all that dude! Thats so freaking annoying. WTF is going on here?!
I haven't been following this thread for a few weeks, but thought I should finally put up the final post in my saga.

So why the @Tigers quote? 'Cause my story is quite similar.

I'm going to leave out a lot of stuff to shorten it, so keeping that in mind....

We'll enter the story at mid way through. Tesla had moved my EDD all the way from Jan-Feb 2022 to Sep 27-30. I had placed the order when I did, as I wanted the Jan-Feb timeline for delivery. I wasn't ready to accept delivery that early.

Since I couldn't get anyone on the phone, I drove 135 miles to the nearest Tesla location. Talked to an SA, explaining that I didn't want to take delivery yet. He said, "No problem. Just tell me what the earliest date is that you could accept delivery, and I'll put it in the "Do Not Match Before This Date" field. I told him no earlier than Dec 15.

Fast forward to November 15. I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I was shocked by the voicemail... it was Tesla! Calling me?!?!? Telephone tag turned into text messages. The long and the short of it: We have your car, you must take delivery of it or we will cancel your order. No option to postpone it.

We've all read about guys being able to push their orders further into the future, but I wasn't given that option.

But before we take this to mean that they've changed their policy about such things, one thing to remember... my car had walnut interior trim. For those that don't know, that is no longer an option. Here's what I think happened.... they continued to honor orders for walnut interior trim up to a certain production date. After that date, they would no longer produce any cars with walnut trim. So they made my car on that last date, and offered it to me, even though it was exactly one month before the "Do Not Match Before Date" field. No option to push the order off as they would no longer make walnut interiors.

I did ask why I wasn't given the option to push the order date, but Tesla went radio silent at that point. So the above is not fact, but my opinion on what happened.

So my order has been cancelled. I'll still be ordering a Plaid at some point, but for now I'll be watching from the fence. And I won't make the mistake of ordering before I have all the logistics lined up on my end.

Ah well... I must admit, I do still enjoy my turtle car. :D

I also haven't seen practically any blue VINs recently and my window starts tomorrow...its got me nervous...
Agreed, however I love doing Tesla math (but not two weeks) - so if 5 days to produce, then 2 to 3 weeks to ship, well, i keep expecting a VIN any day. I'm also 3 days or 2 days (depends on the Math I guess, 12/3) - anyway, i'm close to my EDD start. So, no movement, no VIN, has me scratching my balding head.
Will I get a VIN soon? Will my EDD move and/or shrink?
I do expect "something" to happen.
I no longer have confidence it will make EOY based on Elon's "let's save money and chill" post.
on the other hand, the thing hasn't pushed back. I fully expected that. So, maybe there's still hope for 2022 in 2021. In my mind, I'd rather sell my current car in 2021 than 2022 (I just think the optics are better) but a few weeks likely won't matter on that front.
Still, I wish Tesla was more transparent in a zillion ways, at least one of them could be "now producing blue exterior, white interiors" or whatever.
At least at the local deli you get a number...and they go in number order!

I haven't been following this thread for a few weeks, but thought I should finally put up the final post in my saga.

So why the @Tigers quote? 'Cause my story is quite similar.

I'm going to leave out a lot of stuff to shorten it, so keeping that in mind....

We'll enter the story at mid way through. Tesla had moved my EDD all the way from Jan-Feb 2022 to Sep 27-30. I had placed the order when I did, as I wanted the Jan-Feb timeline for delivery. I wasn't ready to accept delivery that early.

Since I couldn't get anyone on the phone, I drove 135 miles to the nearest Tesla location. Talked to an SA, explaining that I didn't want to take delivery yet. He said, "No problem. Just tell me what the earliest date is that you could accept delivery, and I'll put it in the "Do Not Match Before This Date" field. I told him no earlier than Dec 15.

Fast forward to November 15. I get a call from a number I don't recognize. I was shocked by the voicemail... it was Tesla! Calling me?!?!? Telephone tag turned into text messages. The long and the short of it: We have your car, you must take delivery of it or we will cancel your order. No option to postpone it.

We've all read about guys being able to push their orders further into the future, but I wasn't given that option.

But before we take this to mean that they've changed their policy about such things, one thing to remember... my car had walnut interior trim. For those that don't know, that is no longer an option. Here's what I think happened.... they continued to honor orders for walnut interior trim up to a certain production date. After that date, they would no longer produce any cars with walnut trim. So they made my car on that last date, and offered it to me, even though it was exactly one month before the "Do Not Match Before Date" field. No option to push the order off as they would no longer make walnut interiors.

I did ask why I wasn't given the option to push the order date, but Tesla went radio silent at that point. So the above is not fact, but my opinion on what happened.

So my order has been cancelled. I'll still be ordering a Plaid at some point, but for now I'll be watching from the fence. And I won't make the mistake of ordering before I have all the logistics lined up on my end.

Ah well... I must admit, I do still enjoy my turtle car. :D

Thank you for posting. Actually this is also relevant to me for my Model S order.

After they refunded everything, I told them to place a hold for my Model S until Jan, they said no problem. They never did that. Instead, my account has just said "TBD" ever since.

I actually am going to be OOT for almost all of December and no way I'm flying back for them to hand off to me another dirty ass car that has issues. Perhaps me rejecting the order after paying saved my ass here. Then again - its Q4, I bet they try and rush one to me.

Either way - thanks again for sharing. Personally, I'll consider a Texas built Model Y, depending on how things go, but not likely to buy any Tesla right now.

EDIT:

Stories like this still make me want the car though lol

Last edited:
@cwanja @jebinc Did you guys ask about the rear glass distortion?
Nope. No desire to. It is fine. If you are looking at the bottom of your glass that much, you are look out the wrong place of your window.

I want to revise my estimate on my glass distortion. I think I said 5% previously, it is likely 2-3% of the glass at the hatch is distorted. Again, not an area I am looking out often enough to want them ripping the hatch apart to replace it with the same issue.

@cwanja, @jebinc Did you guys ask about the rear glass distortion?

All seem to have this addiction to some degree. Piss poor supplier quality control.

Not necessarily. In optics, there is a term called clear aperture (CA). I’ve dealt with this in laser ablation and photo lithography over the years.

This is the defined area where the glass must meet spec. Areas outside of the CA don’t need to comply and usually have different quality criteria.

This is done for various reasons. Cost. Yield. Tooling constraints.

Nope. No desire to. It is fine. If you are looking at the bottom of your glass that much, you are look out the wrong place of your window.

Last edited: