Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Valet will limit it only to 70mph, however it will limit the acceleration and power. Not sure if it is specifically "chill", as the manual does not outline that. It does lock the frunk and glovebox, but the trunk is not locked. Home and work locations are not available. Voice commands, autopilot and driver profiles are disabled.

Honestly, if you are worried about it and they never road tested previous cars when you took those vehicles - take it else where. If they also need to "road test" tires, I would be concerned they do not know how to put on tires.
This is actually a shop I've never been to before. They're supposed to be the best place around here, but you never know. The less times someone else touches my car the better.

@cwanja Yes, my "bastard" Plaid is being used as a "test bed" in attempts to determine root cause for this dreaded, and seemingly wide-spread, "vibration at speed" issue. I offered this, "for science," and to help the community. Also, because it really annoys me, like a unspecific rattle would; and because I really don't enjoy driving it in this state (I drive the MYP instead). So, in return, they agreed to give me a S 75D (same color in and out as my bastard) and opened a case for buy-back review/approval (as a "one off customer accommodation" act). I was also granted permission to place a "cover all bases" order for a replacement, which I did on Friday. Strangely, a VIN was assigned yesterday (>72 hours after order placement) with EDD later this week.... We (service manager and I) unmatched the VIN from my order last night, for two reasons; first, buy-back process has yet to render "nay" or "ya," and second, I want a "fresh" VIN - later then the MF454 assigned and later unmatched (i.e., >NF460) to reduce (but not eliminate) the chances of getting another "vibrator" (No, @Bill Price, that's not a call to order cry 🤣).

Acts performed on my "bastard" that have not resolved the vibration include:

1) New half shafts
2) Rebalance tires and ensure rims are true
3) Adaptive air suspension 4-wheel alignment
4) Check and retorque all suspension components
5) HV pack check

I believe the next "trial and error" act will be front DU replacement. Will learn work/test plan next steps sometime today. Car has been at SC since Monday morning, 11/22. I figure #1 will be determined by week's end, perhaps the buy-back decision as well.

Some might find this frustrating, which it is, but being retired, and a problem-solver/engineer by education, I enjoy managing the potential outcome options, those being;

1) I get my Plaid back fixed and totally gone over from "stem to stern"
2) Buy-back; cash/check payout (Don't buy another Plaid for a while)
3) Buy-back; trade the bastard for a new NF460+ version

Of course, I will keep all paths "alive" for as long as possible, and will not decide which path to "lock in on," until I must. Should buy-back be approved, I will still hold off on a decision until I inspect the product resulting from option #3. Absolute worst case is my car, and Option #3, both result in cars that vibrate. In that case, if buy-back is a "yay," then I will decide either to just keep the better of the two cars, or take the money and run for six months. Even if I take mine back (no SC damage, etc.), it will be well tuned and tight (more so than the new one, even) and will wait, like the rest of the fleet, for a concrete Tesla fix. Might even be as simple as firmware for the HV-DU controller. Who knows!

So there you have it!

I know, tl;dr...

@WilliamG

Okay, for those who expressed interest in an update, and have been following the history (incl., quoted post).....

I received a VM and email from my SC Service Manager ("SM") on Tuesday evening, just before close, and picked up my known to all, still vibrating Plaid at open on Wednesday, 12/1. Some key points include;

1. The official Tesla message, after repeated attempts to fix issue was a "normal characteristic of the Plaid vehicles specifically". I agree with most of that language, save for the modifier, "Normal". As you know, normal means, "expected". As we all know, it's anything but as some cars have it, and others do not. Also, some of us didn't have it, then developed it, like me and @WilliamG. We also know the refreshed MS/LR has it as well, so it's not limited to the Plaid. These are the facts. Also, the communicated, "It is not a safety concern..." Clearly, the response was run by Tesla legal before it was provided to me.

2. Response provided in #1 is not unexpected, however. From a business perspective, if they don't have a fix, or know root cause, officially acknowledging it as a manufacturing or design defect would trigger "disclosure" requirements, by law (SB, Recall, etc.).

3. Most importantly, of my 3 previously stated active options/paths, #2 and #3 are still in play. "One off" cases could and do get different responses, in the name of "Customer accommodation". Should #2 or #3 be approved, a "Release" will need to be signed agreeing they buy back is "good will" gesture to make the client happy, not admission of a "Lemon" buy back. As you may all know, it tagged in any way as a "Lemon," the car is a total write off for Tesla. As a good will repurchase, mine will eventually be fixed and resold at near MSRP, like the crazy prices Tesla sells their beat on demo cars for.

4. As far as Options 2 and 3 resulting in a rightful "win" for me, I think that still looks like a "50-50" proposition. After some unofficial back and forth with the SM, whom I've gotten to know well over the years, and a "in the parking lot face to face chat,” The buyback process definitely includes a customer sentiment component. If you think about it, buying mine back (100%) as a good will gesture, and selling me a new one nets them only a slight reduction in profit on the entire set of transactions, given what they will later sell mine for.

5. I did ask if filing the arbitration request form concurrent with this less formal "Case" route would be helpful. The answer was Tesla prefers a win-win solution for both parties over a more formal "winner-loser" process, such as arbitration. It was also pointed out that the arbitration process can follow the less formal "Case" process if I was not happy with the outcome of that. Of course, I let them know I had the time and resources to pursue that path, if needed, but preferred a "win-win path."

6. So, as I stated above, I still feel like options #2 and #3 could happen, and if they did, I would likely not be able to share details.... Probably only something like, "Tesla and I came to a mutually satisfactory resolution to the matter..."

Note: For "Extra Credit," I had the SM add our safety concern that no parts exist for 2-3 months for the airbag recall on my VIN. You know the one.... "Airbags may not deploy correctly...." ...but, "it's okay for you to keep driving your car..." Crazy, right? How did that memo ever get past the lawyers and released via email on Tesla letterhead?! Anyone else get that "beaut"?

So, what do you think will happen, re Options #2 and #3?

Edit: SM unmatched the MF vin from my replacement order (Option #3), at my request; and given no approval has been granted yet. Both SM and Sales are working together, so I feel pretty good that if approved down the road, the NF reassignment VIN will be fairly expeditious.

Last edited:
Okay, for those who expressed interest in an update, and have been following the history (incl., quoted post).....

I received a VM and email from my SC Service Manager ("SM") on Tuesday evening, just before close, and picked up my known to all, still vibrating Plaid at open on Wednesday, 12/1. Some key points include;

1. The official Tesla message, after repeated attempts to fix issue was a "normal characteristic of the Plaid vehicles specifically". I agree with most of that language, save for the modifier, "Normal". As you know, normal means, "expected". As we all know, it's anything but as some cars have it, and others do not. Also, some of us didn't have it, then developed it, like me and @WilliamG. We also know the refreshed MS/LR has it as well, so it's not limited to the Plaid. These are the facts. Also, the communicated, "It is not a safety concern..." Clearly, the response was run by Tesla legal before it was provided to me.

2. Response provided in #1 is not unexpected, however. From a business perspective, if they don't have a fix, or know root cause, officially acknowledging it as a manufacturing or design defect would trigger "disclosure" requirements, by law (SB, Recall, etc.).

3. Most importantly, of my 3 previously stated active options/paths, #2 and #3 are still in play. "One off" cases could and do get different responses, in the name of "Customer accommodation". Should #2 or #3 be approved, a "Release" will need to be signed agreeing they buy back is "good will" gesture to make the client happy, not admission of a "Lemon" buy back. As you may all know, it tagged in any way as a "Lemon," the car is a total write off for Tesla. As a good will repurchase, mine will eventually be fixed and resold at near MSRP, like the crazy prices Tesla sells their beat on demo cars for.

4. As far as Options 2 and 3 resulting in a rightful "win" for me, I think that still looks like a "50-50" proposition. After some unofficial back and forth with the SM, whom I've gotten to know well over the years, and a "in the parking lot face to face chat,” The buyback process definitely includes a customer sentiment component. If you think about it, buying mine back (100%) as a good will gesture, and selling me a new one nets them only a slight reduction in profit on the entire set of transactions, given what they will later sell mine for.

5. I did ask if filing the arbitration request form concurrent with this less formal "Case" route would be helpful. The answer was Tesla prefers a win-win solution for both parties over a more formal "winner-loser" process, such as arbitration. It was also pointed out that the arbitration process can follow the less formal "Case" process if I was not happy with the outcome of that. Of course, I let them know I had the time and resources to pursue that path, if needed, but preferred a "win-win path."

6. So, as I stated above, I still feel like options #2 and #3 could happen, and if they did, I would likely not be able to share details.... Probably only something like, "Tesla and I came to a mutually satisfactory resolution to the matter..."

Note: For "Extra Credit," I had the SM add our safety concern that no parts exist for 2-3 months for the airbag recall on my VIN. You know the one.... "Airbags may not deploy correctly...." ...but, "it's okay for you to keep driving your car..." Crazy, right? How did that memo ever get past the lawyers and released via email on Tesla letterhead?! Anyone else get that "beaut"?

So, what do you think will happen, re Options #2 and #3?

Edit: SM unmatched the MF vin from my replacement order (Option #3), at my request; and given no approval has been granted yet. Both SM and Sales are working together, so I feel pretty good that if approved down the road, the NF reassignment VIN will be fairly expeditious.

Thanks for documenting and keeping everyone updated!
I've need to provide an update to my current ordeal as well.

I didn't know about the airbag issue. Looks like mine a has it as well. And here I was trying to stay away from any SC at all costs....

Recall Date November 9, 2021
Description:
The driver airbag cushion fabric may tear during deployment.
Safety Risk:
A tear in the airbag cushion fabric may decrease airbag performance during deployment, which may increase the risk of injury during a collision.
Remedy:
As a precautionary measure, Tesla will replace the driver airbag on all affected vehicles with a replacement unit that introduces reinforcement in the cushion fabric where the tear was observed in the recalled component.

I didn't know about the airbag issue. Looks like mine a has it as well. And here I was trying to stay away from any SC at all costs....

Description:
Safety Risk:
A tear in the airbag cushion fabric may decrease airbag performance during deployment, which may increase the risk of injury during a collision.
Remedy:
As a precautionary measure, Tesla will replace the driver airbag on all affected vehicles with a replacement unit that introduces reinforcement in the cushion fabric where the tear was observed in the recalled component.
No parts for 2-3 months! but, "it's okay to keep driving the car..." Are you F'n kidding me?!

Description:
Safety Risk:
Remedy:
That wording is different to mine… Where is that from?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Minor update - I still can't reach my SA who I think is a great guy. I called several numbers and spoke to a human. The gist - there are a lot of blue and red cars being made, not so much black and white for a while.
they're trying to get the S's out the door, and purportedly the quality has improved - mats, keys, etc. may come after the fact.
My particular car is supposedly wrapping up production - I don't know if it means it started in the que, or painted, or only a fantasy - but from the sound of it, it is actively being produced, as in being worked on today.
then, the fun begins.
I should get a VIN in a week or two. And it is also a question of transport. from what i heard/remembered/understood, rail is actually quicker, and it can take as little as a week and a half to get to me, or it can take longer.
I have a blackout window from the 23rd to the 31st - and he thinks the car can get here sooner or after - so possibly the first week of january which works better for me at this point.
he also said they can only hold cars 3 days - or else i lose it, but since they are making a bunch of blues if i get unmatched i shouldn't worry - it would be quick.
lastly, he said only the plaids are coming with summer tires at this point - i didn't ask 19" versus 21" - truthfully, i'd love to get the summer tires that would be awful for me - and then a check or new set of all season tires which i've seen some folks get.
however, not having an extra set of summer tires may also be a win - less to store (i'm already storing a set for another car), etc.
so, my call left me hopeful. i'm in the start of my EDD which clearly isn't happening today - but it seems i'll get the beast near the end of this month or beginning of next, as i pretty much expected.
it was reassuring to hear a lot of blues are being produced.
lastly, he mentioned Elon wants the S's out so he can ramp up the X's. not sure how true or not that is (makes sense) - i don't know if the X can run in parallel, or machines need to be reconfigured, etc. - i doubt they can easily build an S, and then an X; i imagine they batch everything - 50 blues, 50 reds, whatever and then finally switch out.
i hope there were some nuggets in here of interest or benefit to anyone.

For the old timers, like me, out there.... Remember the Ford Pinto gas tank deal?!
car-explodes.gif

@WilliamG @GroovaEV

Last edited: