Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I uploaded my current insurance card after I received a VIN. I was asked to do so prior to my delivery appointment.

While I was waiting for my delivery appointment, I asked the receptionist to open my car so that I could inspect the interior prior to finalizing my delivery.

^^^This....push back and insist on inspecting the inside of the car or you will refuse delivery.

One more point on Tesla's evolving approach to re-train the customer....

I went down to the off-site lot to check out my wife's S last weekend. I found 60+ cars along with my wife's and was approached by a Tesla employee kinda wanting to know what I was doing pawing all over one particular car. I explained it was my wife's and I was checking out panel gaps in a nice quiet envioronment prior to the delivery scrum. He told me he was the PDI guy and said her car was consistent with what he was seeing (crappy gaps but not enough to reject the car - basically "Tesla" quality). I noticed both rear trunk covers were missing and he said that was how they were coming but that he had stock back at the service center - the car would be delivered with both.

Fast forward to delivery yesterday. The how to pay debacle had us picking the car up at the service center instead of them dropping it off at the house. We can not get into the car until you pay and accept delivery (nice trick there Tesla. At least you keep people from refusing delivery for a crappy interior). We can not see down in the trunk as the top trunk cover is in place. We pay. We accept. We open the trunk and, viola, no lower trunk cover.

The sales advisor doing the delivery is like-
Oh, there is a problem with the trunk cover; its your problem. Open a service ticket.

That's special. We are taking delivery of a new car on the manufacturer's lot working with an employee of the company. A part is missing. Instead of walking back in the shop to see if he can find one and, in the absence of one to give us, opening a service ticket to make sure we get it, he tells my wife to open a service ticket. Ya, you guys hit accept so it is your problem now.

Welcome to the new Tesla. It is just like the old Tesla but now on purpose.
I blame the work ethic of the pool available in Florida, lol. I've never received that attitude from anyone I've worked with in California. I'm certain it's not a Tesla trained attitude.

definitely looking forward to this feature

Hey... I was at an unofficial car meetup with a bunch of Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, and higher-end Porsches this past weekend, everyone wanted to talk to me about my Plaid, but this one girl who works for Ferrari was most interested in playing games in it. She was in there for a good 15mins lol... I guess when you have driven so many exotic cars, something outside of the ordinary is more fun?

I blame the work ethic of the pool available in Florida, lol. I've never received that attitude from anyone I've worked with in California. I'm certain it's not a Tesla trained attitude.

Well, there are a lot of different experiences, stores, and SvC throughout CA. In addition, it appears the experience changes with the time of day, day of week, and evolves with time as well, occasionally driven by unknown hidden forces, and occasionally, Elons tweets...

One management technique as old as the hills, is to force the front line troops into doing things they would not normally do, by denying them resources, training, and support.

An experience with a brand new store an new customer end of Sept, they tried to foist the "We can't open the car until you pay" BS on my friend. I immediately intervened and they story changed pretty quick.

Then had 2 hrs to look over the car and get trained in the basic functions and phones paired.

Then the car had a catastrophic failure and shut down 12v power a mile from the store. Three hands on the wheel to steer it back.

They tried to fix the car, my friend was having none of that. He didn't know the rules, just said, "I'm not leaving till you give me my cashier's check back"

The SA, new on the job, backed down and gave him his check. He now has a new car, and all is well so far.

I hate to pass judgement based on ancedotes, but is is all we have to go on it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: Bull
Hey... I was at an unofficial car meetup with a bunch of Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, and higher-end Porsches this past weekend, everyone wanted to talk to me about my Plaid, but this one girl who works for Ferrari was most interested in playing games in it. She was in there for a good 15mins lol... I guess when you have driven so many exotic cars, something outside of the ordinary is more fun?

And none of those Exotics can play La Cucuracha out the external speaker...

So let me get this straight? You enter a destination, enter FSD mode and let the car drive there? While the "car is driving you there", you start Beach Buggy Racing Two and play that game while the car drives you to your destination?
It might work if you are a second person in the back seat, with a driver up front.

You made me click on a bad article. And they get credit and paid for the click on this misleading info.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah, what Tesla says is about what I have seen. Drops most right in the beginning, and that's not very much. Like less than ten miles and then it flattens out. I have a 2013 P85+ with almost 29,000 miles. I've probably used as much battery with vampire drain as I have driving it.

EPA rated range was 265 then. When I got it, I think it charged to 269. 100% charge for me is 256 now. I don't consider that degradation to be significant at all. I tend to believe Tesla's battery technology has improved since 2013. As usual, the car magazine's results are always worse. And I don't care what other brand's degradation is as I don't have one.

My point being, (Tesla) battery degradation just isn't as big of deal as you made it sound like--to me anyway. You made several comments in one post with something like "until battery degradation kicks in." Que the scary movie music.

Thanks for showing us the actual numbers in the subsequent post.
If you could use the entire pack, all the time, it would less of an issue. So anything you lose right from the start is an issue for me. It isn't like you get the stated range to begin with. So you are talking maybe 75-80% of stated range to begin with. That is if you charge to 100%. So then if you want minimize degradation to your pack, you might keep it 10-70%. So that is only 60% of the reduced real world range. Then factor in degradation and you are at a much lower usable daily range. Now throw some cold weather in the mix and your 400 mile range car might be about half that.

A friend of mine had to use a super charger for almost all the charging on his model 3. The range is already down 10% in the first year of ownership (20k miles). That is a pretty big hit.

Degradation will definitely be worse if you are charging to 100% and running it below 10%, and using the super charger a lot will add to it. The good numbers quoted for degradation assume very good care of the battery. You know best how you'll use it. If you can charge at home and maybe drive less than 200 miles a charge for a Model S, your pack should wear pretty well.

If Tesla offered a longer range version of the LR, I would have went with it. DIdn't need the Plaid+. That would give me more charging options when traveling and a decent range when cold out.

If you could use the entire pack, all the time, it would less of an issue. So anything you lose right from the start is an issue for me. It isn't like you get the stated range to begin with. So you are talking maybe 75-80% of stated range to begin with. That is if you charge to 100%. So then if you want minimize degradation to your pack, you might keep it 10-70%. So that is only 60% of the reduced real world range. Then factor in degradation and you are at a much lower usable daily range. Now throw some cold weather in the mix and your 400 mile range car might be about half that.

A friend of mine had to use a super charger for almost all the charging on his model 3. The range is already down 10% in the first year of ownership (20k miles). That is a pretty big hit.

Degradation will definitely be worse if you are charging to 100% and running it below 10%, and using the super charger a lot will add to it. The good numbers quoted for degradation assume very good care of the battery. You know best how you'll use it. If you can charge at home and maybe drive less than 200 miles a charge for a Model S, your pack should wear pretty well.

If Tesla offered a longer range version of the LR, I would have went with it. DIdn't need the Plaid+. That would give me more charging options when traveling and a decent range when cold out.
Elon has tweeted previously that 100% WONT degrade/harm the pack...(only prevents regen for that first 10%)

However, he has tweeted numerous things that turned out to be not true. So who knows..

Elon has tweeted previously that 100% WONT degrade/harm the pack...(only prevents regen for that first 10%)

However, he has tweeted numerous things that turned out to be not true. So who knows..

He also said (Years back before 2150's were a thing) for the longest possible pack life, keep mainly between 30-70% SoC, store between 50-62%.

Recent statement by Elon said no problem going to zero. There is quite a big buffer on the bottom, not much at the top. Never been below 20% myself, but I will change that if my range drops.

I have been following the above advice last two years, and moving up in my range compared to others per Teslafi.

For those taking delivery (See what I did there) that have not owned a MS before, I think no harm in keeping the pack in the 50% range, and use timed charging to get what you need for the next days use. A warm pack is slightly more efficient.

AND, I have recently increased my efficiency and range by 20%, by following large truck traffic in the right lane at a TACC setting of 5. Decreased the Tesla hate actions by other drivers as well.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid