Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery yesterday and couldn't be more happy with how everything turned out! The car has no major panel gaps or paint issues.

One thing I instantly noticed was how heavy the car felt when driving, my previous car was a Model 3 Performance and this thing felt completely different at first, but after driving all day I am more used to it now. I also love everything about the new interior, my center console sliding door thing does have some scratches on it though. I'm considering making a service appointment because they are quite visible in daylight and there is a lot of them. Does anyone know if this is something they can easily replace? I'm referring to the carbon fiber sliding door on the top of the middle center console up front.

I also did one launch so far which was mind blowing, a sensation I cannot describe. I originally ordered a LR model but after feeling the power of the plaid I am confident I made the right choice, it's just so fun. Another thing is that whenever I floor it from 0 the car does seem to shake a bit up front, I assume this is the tires loosing traction because it didnt have the same shaking/rumbling feeling when launching it.

Looks like my twin congrats!

Took delivery yesterday and couldn't be more happy with how everything turned out! The car has no major panel gaps or paint issues.

One thing I instantly noticed was how heavy the car felt when driving, my previous car was a Model 3 Performance and this thing felt completely different at first, but after driving all day I am more used to it now. I also love everything about the new interior, my center console sliding door thing does have some scratches on it though. I'm considering making a service appointment because they are quite visible in daylight and there is a lot of them. Does anyone know if this is something they can easily replace? I'm referring to the carbon fiber sliding door on the top of the middle center console up front.

I also did one launch so far which was mind blowing, a sensation I cannot describe. I originally ordered a LR model but after feeling the power of the plaid I am confident I made the right choice, it's just so fun. Another thing is that whenever I floor it from 0 the car does seem to shake a bit up front, I assume this is the tires loosing traction because it didnt have the same shaking/rumbling feeling when launching it.
She’s a beauty. Congratulations. Do report anything that bothers you as your Plaid should have been in new condition. Scratches aren’t a feature!

I've thought about the whole "X company" after Musk, but even now, I think he's set up the companies really well. Especially Tesla. Like even on the Q3 Earnings Call, yeah it was a little dry and I missed Elon's spontaneity, but he's got a great team over there. I mean Zach, Drew, Lars, etc... are really good people, who know what they are doing and believe in the same mission he does. And that's the thing. I was watching a former Tesla employee of 4 years describe his job, and he said that Elon's culture truly does reflect everywhere. There aren't these walls of "oh it's not your business", and politics don't last over there either. He said if you're one of those people who lords knowledge over others and keeps it in, you won't last long at all. All employees are truly expected to bring their best, and not hold back on any ideas they may have, even if it's outside their job description. There's no such thing as "above your pay grade" at Tesla it seems. In fact, if someone tries to hold that person back from going to upper management or even emailing Elon, they are fired, as Tesla may have just lost a really good idea.
So what I mean by this is that he knows he won't be there forever, so Tesla hires the best people possible. Additionally, these employees are expected to work really hard. Like really hard. 80+ hours in some cases. So what that does is weeds out the true employees who really believe in the mission from the 9-5 trudgers who are just there to take a paycheck. Anyone who's values don't align with Tesla's will get burned out really fast. This makes for a really efficient workforce of only the best. (And in this case I mean in the factories and corporate, not so much CS yet).

So yeah I think they will be just fine. Things do happen quicker while Elon is there, but even when he moves down from CEO (maybe to CTO or something), I know a very gifted and a highly driven individual who believes in the mission will take the reigns, be that Zach Kirkhorn or someone else.
In my experience and based on this threat the culture you describe unfortunately doesn’t extend to the quality and delivery parts of the business. The car engineering and design is fantastic and I wish it extended the last mile for customers.

I could see this - especially on the plethora of 2021s showing up on inventory around the country.
One signficiant concern I have about the Plaid is how the price will hold up in 3 years - figure they may have the 4680 cells then, and there are already a bunch of resales, etc.
It is a marvel of tech and an incredibly fast car - but that also screams to me of depreciation.
In 3 years, I question if my LR will hold up in value - there can be the 4680 cells, hopefully no supply shortages, other car manufacturers, etc. - and the prices had been hiking on the Y, S, etc. purportedly because of supply issues - take those issues away, and I can see some serious price drops.
Then, you'll have a 3 year old Plaid (or LR) competing against potentially newer less expensive variants. That can't be good for pricing.
Just my .02
PS I got an email from a different SC offering me to pick up a Plaid instead of an LR, at Plaid pricing of course. And they said no LR in inventory. That says something to me.
As always, I still WANT the Plaid. I just don't want to PAY for the Plaid.

I seriously doubt it. I think this simply means that Plaids are being pushed into inventory ahead the production lines being tuned to turn out X-plaids then SLRs and XLRs.
Good point I hadn't considered. If there was ANY sort of customer service or PR, they'd possibly say, "Hurry up, get your LR, Plaid, etc. before we change the line over and stop producing them for 2 months" or whatever.
Nope. Nyet. Crickets. Who knows what they're doing?
Who even know if they can build the S and X side by side? (I doubt they can, though they did build more tent/factory space in Fremont based on the fly overs this summer)
I wonder how easy it is to program the robots to assemble for an S, and for an X
the Plaid and LR should be VERY similar - change the front and rear motors (which I think would also have the different gearing) and then just different seats, firmware, and voila.
For the X, well, maybe, MAYBE same drivetrains, and then different doors, frame, etc. and then the robots would have to be programmed for different distances. but, if you can "press a button" (or better, scan a bar code on the frame) and have everything autocalibrate, it may not be that hard to go from S to X and back.
assuming, assembly can be done in the same or similar steps, and the supplies are pretty much the same, just maybe differently shaped.
computers and everything inside the dash would i imagine be the same.

Good point I hadn't considered. If there was ANY sort of customer service or PR, they'd possibly say, "Hurry up, get your LR, Plaid, etc. before we change the line over and stop producing them for 2 months" or whatever.
Nope. Nyet. Crickets. Who knows what they're doing?
Who even know if they can build the S and X side by side? (I doubt they can, though they did build more tent/factory space in Fremont based on the fly overs this summer)
I wonder how easy it is to program the robots to assemble for an S, and for an X
the Plaid and LR should be VERY similar - change the front and rear motors (which I think would also have the different gearing) and then just different seats, firmware, and voila.
For the X, well, maybe, MAYBE same drivetrains, and then different doors, frame, etc. and then the robots would have to be programmed for different distances. but, if you can "press a button" (or better, scan a bar code on the frame) and have everything autocalibrate, it may not be that hard to go from S to X and back.
assuming, assembly can be done in the same or similar steps, and the supplies are pretty much the same, just maybe differently shaped.
computers and everything inside the dash would i imagine be the same.
re. your previous post, I doubt the 4680s come to the MS or MX before the next major "refresh" in last 2020s. The backlog of CT is enormous, and then the Roadster, and Semi. Not enough 4680 supply for those critical releases.

Checking inventory here in Socal, maybe 10 plaids available.

Several are listed as '22 builds

Seems like these cars are not moving very fast. They should bring back the wood trim if they want to convert LR orders.
If that’s what’s holding people back you can have my wood trim. I’ve been trying to get carbon parts for months.

I seriously doubt it. I think this simply means that Plaids are being pushed into inventory ahead the production lines being tuned to turn out X-plaids then SLRs and XLRs.
There are over 20 Plaids in inventory in my area. About half are 2021s and the rest are 2022s. Who would pick the 2021 at the same price as the 2022 - colors and options being equal, which in many cases they are? No one, right?

There are over 20 Plaids in inventory in my area. About half are 2021s and the rest are 2022s. Who would pick the 2021 at the same price as the 2022 - colors and options being equal, which in many cases they are? No one, right?

Nah I want every bit of RANGE I can get. The MSLR at 3 seconds 0-60 is more than needed and it has a bit more range so would go with it still. Also 1 less motor (with new tech) to have problems with, etc.