Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My loaded 2018 SQ5 did not have ventilated seats either, because I chose the Napa leather option. I think they fixed that just recently but I did consider Audi luxury and could not get those seats in any upper level version
This is a great example of why the luxury car category is vast and not defined by a particular option or options. For the last few years BMW has been the "luxury car sales champion". Prior it was Mercedes for a few years and Lexus and so on.

All of these companies make lower-line vehicles that do not include every luxury option. MB, for instance, sells Sprinter vans too. But MB is not considered a commercial vehicle company (within the US anyway).

By the industry standard, Tesla is a "luxury brand". And there is a very good chance they have sold the most "luxury vehicles" in 2021. If not, surely in 2022 they will.

All this info and $5 might get you a latte at some coffee shop somewhere...but it's interesting to some anyway.

Last edited:
my 2017 S never had any night time light issues that I recall. I know I dont recall ever having an issue or complaining. Did the headlights change from 2017 to later years that made them worse? Or were my headlights bad but I just didnt have some of you guys here to tell me they were bad?

The 2016-2022 Model S headlights are all poor. You must not have ever noticed it or just been ok with their performance.
They're not unusable by any means, they're just poor relative to other vehicles, even much cheaper ones.

Hey guys...am I crazy or does this car have matrix headlights now? This is the stock image when you load tesla.com and scroll down 1 car to the model S. View attachment 754929
1642015686749.png

tires aren't rubbing on frame...they're popping on the asphalt when moving slowly with wheel turned.
Ack, i had no idea that was a thing, though i did see the post yesterday of someone who showed they marked where the tire fill valve was, and the thing was like 20 or 30 degrees away from the tire marking - yikes!

many thanks, still not sure which direction to go in. i did copy the 10 passwords to dropbox. i do use a password manager, out of necessity - site A won't accept unusual characters; site B REQUIRES unusual characters.
i also have my cc's in there securely - it's faster for me to copy the cc number and paste than it is for me to pull out a card and type it in.

i'm trying to envision a near apocalyptic event - phone won't connect (dead, lost) and no wallet.
it DID happen to friends of mine at a water park - they had to get an uber somehow to get home, got their spare keys, were able to ping their phone, went in a huff to that person's house --- and they supposedly had an identical bag and didn't realize they took our friends'. it doesn't quite add up to me, but at the end of the day, that is my nightmare.
i DO generally take both sets of keys of my or my wife's ICE if we're going far, and i woudln't want to have to somehow get home, get the spare set of keys, and pick up the car.
I have also had a valet lose (okay, he went home) with my key, and at 2 a.m. i needed a lift home and then back to my car with the spare key, and the valet brought the key the next morning with his apologies.
so, it's rare, but can happen.
the key card is a boon. i'm just wondering what extra layer of protection i can have, if say my wife's beach bag is lost/stolen and it has my phone, keys, etc. in it.

You know an asteroid could hit the Earth at anytime. Are you prepared?

This is a great example of why the luxury car category is vast and not defined by a particular option or options. For the last few years BMW has been the "luxury car sales champion". Prior it was Mercedes for a few years and Lexus and so on.

All of these companies make lower-line vehicles that do not include every luxury option. MB, for instance, sells Sprinter vans too. But MB is not considered a commercial vehicle company (within the US anyway).

By the industry standard, Tesla is a "luxury brand". And there is a very good chance they have sold the most "luxury vehicles" in 2021. If not, surely in 2022 they will.

All this info and $5 might get you a latte at some coffee shop somewhere...but it's interesting to some anyway.

I think a glaring miss for the S, or at least the Plaid, is self-closing doors. Why on the X and not the S? IDK if Ferrari's have them...probably not, so maybe that's the comp for self-closing doors...

You know an asteroid could hit the Earth at anytime. Are you prepared?
F no.
I'm still in the fetal position from learning my chances of dying from a porcupine will always be greater than 0 percent! How am I supposed to sleep knowing that????????
p.s. supposedly 9 more sleeps until our delivery...I hope it's a....Tesla!

I think a glaring miss for the S, or at least the Plaid, is self-closing doors. Why on the X and not the S? IDK if Ferrari's have them...probably not, so maybe that's the comp for self-closing doors.
I think I'm going to gain so much more than I'm losing going to the S, but I will miss:
1) soft close doors
2) head up display
3) night view display
4) err, turn signals?
5) Massage seats, that can also heat and cool at the same time.
6) rear side window shades, and rear window shades
7) ionizer/atomizer
I will NOT miss saying hi to the gas station guys!
I plan to "get"
1) insane performance
2) more tech than I can shake a stick at
3) features and goodies I only have read about
4) convenience (charging at home)
5) comfort of a preconditioned car going to work or home
I do love remote starting my ICE (when it works), and I am nervous that my wife will start hers in the garage. So, myriad carbon monoxide detectors, of course!

My McLaren does so I bet some Ferraris do too.
My 570S also had a wonderful feature of when I closed the door it would index the windows about 1/2 down and then stay there. So then I had the wonderful opportunity to see the inside of my beautiful car a little more and put the windows back up and hope it would not drop them 1/2 again on the next door close. Which about 20% of the time it would do. 😆

But damn did that car drive nice...

You mean the soft close doors though right? Where you can latch the door and the door does the rest?
Not auto presenting doors that automatically open for you like on the Model X?
I'd be happy with the soft close...auto open is cute for the gull wings, but unsettling with the front doors in a parking lot.

My 570S also had a wonderful feature of when I closed the door it would index the windows about 1/2 down and then stay there. So then I had the wonderful opportunity to see the inside of my beautiful car a little more and put the windows back up and hope it would not drop them 1/2 again on the next door close. Which about 20% of the time it would do. 😆

That would drive me crazy! Electronics are really picky in these cars but I agree, they do drive nicely. I've got a 720s and the Plaid will be the daily; it just won't look as cool as the 720 (but will be faster).

That would drive me crazy! Electronics are really picky in these cars but I agree, they do drive nicely. I've got a 720s and the Plaid will be the daily; it just won't look as cool as the 720 (but will be faster).
Yeah it drove me nuts for sure. I traded it on a AMG GTR and that car felt boring to me compared to the McLaren. Although it didn’t do anything weird like the window dance the 570 did so maybe that’s why it felt boring. 😂

McLarens have a very special feel that I have not experienced in any other car, and I’ve driven my fair share, although not everything by any means.

I'd be happy with the soft close...auto open is cute for the gull wings, but unsettling with the front doors in a parking lot.
My best friend has an alignment shop here in LA. When racks a car he usually hangs out the door to make sure he’s locating the wheels where he wants them.

You should have saw the look on his face when recently an X was trying to pinch him shut while he was racking it. It was priceless 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Recent member/lurker of the forum here.
I was able to purchase a Model S Plaid back in August. As surreal as it was, I didn't feel the extra $40k was worth it in regards to the acceleration specifically for daily driving (As i live in NY and hardly ever got the chance to properly enjoy it). I also got a fat speeding ticket within the first week haha so a Plaid is simply not a great decision for someone in their 20's. Therefore, it was time to say goodbye and save some $$$.

Ended up selling the car to a dealership in the DC area for a little more than I bought it for - phew.
Luckily, I was able to get a Model S (previously Long Range) reservation as well. RN155 so I believe I have quite a ways to go before receiving it even though my reservation shows an EDD of Jan 25 - Feb 22. MSM with White Interior. 19" Tempest wheels. No FSD.
I have a second RN1155 reservation with the same config but Red exterior since I couldn't decide between the two colors. The Red however shows an EDD of April (more believable than the MSM's January-Feb EDD).

Expecting many delays ahead based on everyone else's experience here but excited to share my experience going forward as well :)

Hopefully I do actually get a MS before Q3!

I also wanted to share my experience test driving the EQS 580. Since I owned a Plaid for 2 months, I wanted to give the EQS 580 a shot. I don't want to take up too much space with this post, but I wanted to share my quick opinion between the two.

For starters, the Model S was MUCH more fun and refined feeling compared to the EQS 580 for me. The UI for the EQS felt severely dated compared to the Refreshed Model S. Comfort was fairly equal in my opinion. Massage seats aren't something that sway me towards any car as I feel they're more of a gimmick. In addition a big let down of the EQS 580 for me, was the sound system. I enjoy my Model 3, Model X and my ex-Plaid's sound system a lot. The refreshed S (Plaid) clearly had the best system of the lineup. The EQS 580 unfortunately was miles behind even the Model 3 in my opinion. I was surprised by this as I spent a good hour playing with the EQS 580's EQ, etc and tried different sources. The test vehicle had the only sound system option they offer (Burmester surround). I was really considering this car as it was readily available at a nearby dealership and didn't have any bias towards either Tesla or Mercedes but this was a big dealbreaker. The other concern - Hyperscreen looks cool, is quite laggy. Visibility from the driver seat in the EQS 580 was a major let down. I'm 5'11 and despite of all the adjustments to the driving position, the dash is simply too bulky therefore the visibility out the front is narrow. Much narrower compared to the S and very noticeable.
Hence, I decided to walk away from the EQS 580 and chose to wait for my Model S LR.

Thought i'd share for anyone looking at both of these vehicles since it can be hard to get ahold of a Refreshed MS to test for yourself.