Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a new MYP for a loaner while my new S was being serviced.

I was really impressed with it. Fast, easy in/out, good space, and handled like a go-kart. However, the two big things keeping me from considering a Y: no driver's display an no air suspension. Other than that a great vehicle. Will consider this for my wife if she is okay without those two items.
There are aftermarket screens to solve the lack of drivers display and with the yoke that's going to be a great view.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What do you mean? It hasn't been addressed as we are speaking. They pushed out an OTA and the few that have it have reported it made no difference. Others (including fan boys) are speculating it's probably a hardware issue and hopefully Tesla can do something to impacted components without a massive recall.

I also have no idea what your comment about choosing another brand is about. That sounds like "you made negative remarks on clearly negative things, therefore you hate the company"... no, I just get annoyed with critical components like a HEAT PUMP that is needed to properly heat cabins in the middle of the winter fail not just for one season, but it takes an entire year for Tesla to do jack *sugar* about it, in the middle of winter. It makes me question whether or not it's the right move if you can't trust the reliability of these cars (not to mention basically every single person on here has had their Model S in the shop for a few weeks at least).

I question why this *sugar* wasn't addressed last year when many people reported issues.

To your point, yes there are competitors and yes I have a reservation for most of them. Ironically enough, a Tesla is the easiest to get right now lol.

For the record, I have and have had reservations for:

Kia EV6 (estimated Marchish)
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (estimated March - April)
BMW i4 (estimated May-June)
Rivian R1T (estimated H1 2023)
Audi Q4 Etron (estimated April - May)

Probably, quite literally the first one to get here will be the car I go with. Sadly I've driven none of these damn cars and only the Model S for 5 minutes. So sort of hard to pick one. Not to mention dealers selling above MSRP only. Pros and cons to all of them.

My *hope* was Tesla would iron the kinks out of the Model S, which there are plenty, as reported by members here and from those Ive seen in person recently. Then you have the Model Y coming from Texas. Maybe that factory has better quality products coming out of it? Then I'd be interested. You can see the conundrum. I like Tesla, but they need to do a lot better. From communication to customer service to quality. They get wayyy too much credit imo. Every single time there's a valid concern or issue brought up, the fan boys rush to defend and protect them. That doesnt help anyone at all, including Tesla who will need to step the game up here pretty damn soon.
Kia strikes me as a perfect match for you

Lol, still better than Tesla in reliability. I'd prefer Mazda or Toyota but they are horses asses. Our two best cars ever (in reliability) have been a Toyota and a Mazda. You can drive the *sugar* out of those things are they don't blink. Hundreds of thousands of miles. We put a combined 300k on them and fixed absolutely jackshit over the course of 10 years. But got totaled in a wreck and now we love EV drivetrains.

Honestly, if I weren't so bent on an EV, Kia Telluride or Hyundai Palisade would probably be the next vehicle we go with for my wife. The price is just unbeatable for what you get. The interior of a Palisade is next-level compared to a MY (and frankly, rivals a MS). It's easy to dismiss them as Korean junk because of the stigma of 10-20 years ago, but they're legit autos with near Toyota-level reliability and the best value quotient in the industry. If/when they make a Ioniq 7, Tesla had better look out.

I agree with a good chunk of this: I hate driving ICE and I want them gone ASAP. I want charging infrastructure built ASAP. I want consumer choice for quality EVs. I don't agree that buying anything other than a Tesla EV means nothing. I think most companies, except our friends in Japan realize they better get their ass on it and I firmly believe they will stick with that.

It does make me laugh that the only real OEMs with any type of electric/battery tech were our friends from Japan and they absolutely refuse to do EVs lol. They are just like GM/Ford....giving up their dominant position because they are too stubborn.
Well… was time to electrify and make mowing the lawn fun again! So, this arrives on Thursday!

Check out this dude doing donuts, like a Plaid with track mode. This thing has a “sport” mode as well! Can’t wait!

I've had several different delivery windows over the last several weeks, but this is the shortest/nearest one yet (6 days), so maybe I'm getting a car soon? I hope this one 'sticks' because I like the appraisal for my 2017 S 100D trade-in and that appraisal expires soon.

Now I need to search the forum for the most comprehensive, contemporary delivery checklist. I'm sure this delivery date is too soon for any of the new 'goodies' that have been rumored, but I already rejected one VIN earlier so I don't want to have my order canceled.

One of the pre-delivery tasks is to provide proof of insurance with the VIN. Since I don't have a delivery date yet, surely they don't expect me to insure the car before it arrives... it only takes a couple of minutes to change cars with my insurance company so I planned to do that on delivery day. I'm a little concerned by their language; "Complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery"

Delivery.JPG

I've had several different delivery windows over the last several weeks, but this is the shortest/nearest one yet (6 days), so maybe I'm getting a car soon? I hope this one 'sticks' because I like the appraisal for my 2017 S 100D trade-in and that appraisal expires soon.

Now I need to search the forum for the most comprehensive, contemporary delivery checklist. I'm sure this delivery date is too soon for any of the new 'goodies' that have been rumored, but I already rejected one VIN earlier so I don't want to have my order canceled.

One of the pre-delivery tasks is to provide proof of insurance with the VIN. Since I don't have a delivery date yet, surely they don't expect me to insure the car before it arrives... it only takes a couple of minutes to change cars with my insurance company so I planned to do that on delivery day. I'm a little concerned by their language; "Complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery"

View attachment 756499
You can set up insurance ahead of time. Just give them a start date. Tesla wants insurance.

You can set up insurance ahead of time. Just give them a start date. Tesla wants insurance.
Yes, but I don't have a delivery day on which I can depend and the insurance will want a start date. There is always a possibility that the delivery will be delayed again. I hope that this isn't one of the tasks that will really delay the delivery, but I don't know what their automated system looks at when deciding that you have complied with the pre-delivery tasks.

Yes, but I don't have a delivery day on which I can depend and the insurance will want a start date. There is always a possibility that the delivery will be delayed again. I hope that this isn't one of the tasks that will really delay the delivery, but I don't know what their automated system looks at when deciding that you have complied with the pre-delivery tasks.
In my experience you can supply the proof of insurance as late as the day before delivery. I’m sure you could bring it with you if needed, but the delivery guys like to get everything squared away before delivery day.

In my experience you can supply the proof of insurance as late as the day before delivery. I’m sure you could bring it with you if needed, but the delivery guys like to get everything squared away before delivery day.
We had to provid insurance for the first day of delivery potential window. They stated it was so they can order temp tags and have ready ahead of time.

We have delivery scheduled at 3PM on 1/27. We had to provide insurance active as of 1/20 minimum.

I would just upload a copy of your current car policy. That will check off the box for the upload request. If you are in a state that requires the exact VIN prior to delivery (not so here in the NW) then adjust at delivery time. Just my 2 cents

View attachment 756499

Wait until you have a scheduled delivery date, which should be at least 5-7 days before the actual day. Once you have that update your insurance to start at least 1 day prior to the pick up date and make sure Tesla has the information at least 3 days before your pick up.

I uploaded my then-current insurance card (non-Plaid-covered) prior to getting VIN/delivery date. Then, when I had a VIN + firm delivery date, I updated insurance and uploaded that letter covering the Plaid, and brought it with me.

It helps to mark that task complete and make the profile appear complete.

For the record, I have and have had reservations for:

Kia EV6 (estimated Marchish)
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (estimated March - April)
BMW i4 (estimated May-June)
Rivian R1T (estimated H1 2023)
Audi Q4 Etron (estimated April - May)

Probably, quite literally the first one to get here will be the car I go with.

which has the best tilting screen?