Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ta da! Got a couple of days early. PERFECT. Missing the trunk panels, no biggie. All keys, mats, etc.
they did try to foist the summer tires on me, and I wouldn’t accept the car. 1 hour later they swapped the wheels with another car, and I have my all seasons.
minor thing for service (light inside center console bottom acts reversed like my neighbor’s). I couldn’t find any flaws. Nearly invisible worm. Gorgeous in the sunlight.
TMC had me fearing the thing would be held together with glue and string and all sorts of badness. This thing was perfect. Very happy ;)
View attachment 757731View attachment 757731View attachment 757732View attachment 757733View attachment 757734View attachment 757735View attachment 757736View attachment 757737
Car looks tremendous! Congrats. We have the same configuration, but you ordered 5 days before me... Hopefully I'll see mine next week!

Ugh. My trade in (2019 M3P) expired last night and I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. Really worried it's going to drop in value (cause that's just my luck), even though I haven't really been putting miles on it. Currently at 26.3k.

IamGaryGnu, you had this happen recently just before delivery, right? How did you get them to value it quickly so you could take delivery? It usually takes 3-4 days for me to get a valuation. I think you said yours actually went up a little? What were you trading in? Any reassurance you can offer is welcome! 🥺

Congrats!! She looks incredible. The blue is divine in that light. Makes me think twice about white. Enjoy her, my friend!!
thank you! wanted the blue from the moment i saw it, however i second guessed myself on each and every color. the white looks gorgeous, and has the extra benefit of no extra cost - a win win! :)
enjoy yours when it comes, and don't second guess yourself - leave that to me! :)

Ugh. My trade in (2019 M3P) expired last night and I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. Really worried it's going to drop in value (cause that's just my luck), even though I haven't really been putting miles on it. Currently at 26.3k.

IamGaryGnu, you had this happen recently just before delivery, right? How did you get them to value it quickly so you could take delivery? It usually takes 3-4 days for me to get a valuation. I think you said yours actually went up a little? What were you trading in? Any reassurance you can offer is welcome! 🥺
I think mine went up $200 because...i dunno. I don't drive many miles, so it wasn't much of a change in mileage.
I kept entering my insurance info whenever it said expiring soon (like 12/15/22 is soon?) - but other than that, I had my appointment already set (for tomorrow) so my trade in warned me it would expire on the 16th (it didn't, it expired late on the 17th, MLK day) and when I entered the exact miles as it asked, it said, "sit tight, we'll get back to you...eventually" and then around midnight (maybe 3 hours later) i had my updated number.
I wouldn't worry - shouldn't be more than a few dollars either way.
My trade in was a 2016 Benz S550 loaded to the gills, that had a reported rear end. I think 57,0XX miles. something like that. Good luck!

So now that I'm near a keyboard, I wanted to vomit my experiences yesterday and today about the car. Feel free to skip, or put on a work out video.
1) Yesterday DCU came through very quickly - I smartly decided to have the check sent to Tesla per the MVPA address. There was a real chance the physical check wouldn't have made it to me on time as the overnight has been taking up to 3 business days, and I was slated to pick up tomorrow.
2) I let my service center know what was going on - and once I had the scan of the check and tracking number (i forwarded both emails, along with the docusign from DCU) the service center told me, "good to go"
3) they didn't push for me to get the car earlier, but when i expressed interest, they said they could move me an hour earlier Friday. Friday? 2 days? not if you're part of this forum....so once they told me I was good, and I had some cancellations for my afternoon, and they said their latest pickup was 4pm that day and it was abotu 1:15pm, I asked can i pick it up now? and i gave my cell and asked to call me if no good.
4) I got my jacket on pretty quickly and zipped out the door. they called on my way to warn me might take 30 minutes to get the car ready, and I was fine with that as I drove faster.
5) BTW, I dreaded anything happening to the Benz on the way there - that would have f'd up the trade in. Nope, no problems :)
6) I get to the dealership like a giddy school girl, and see a beautiful red S, and more importantly, a gorgeous blue. The sun was actually out, and it was magnificent. and the shiny tires looked great. But i could easily see Pzero. that was a problem.
7) I had trouble parking the Benz, that place was jammed to the gills! new cars, inventory, etc. but was able to email that if that is my car and it has summer tires we have a real problem (doesn't affect this aspect, but we have 2 snows coming up, today and saturday, and it's flurrying now)
8) I get out, and therefore don't remove my benz plates. I did delete stuff from the navigation, garage door openers, etc. and had the thing cleaned out except for my "transfer bag" - EZ Pass, insurance card, etc.
9) long story short, I wouldn't sign anything. and I wasn't playing chicken (though I kept thinking tires might only be $1,500) - at the end of the day, they ended up taking the wheels off of a new car that wasn't delivered yet, and put them on mine. I asked them (not in an accusing way) how could Tesla send these to the northeast? they were also flabbergasted and said the car was probably originally intended for warm climates. They also mentioned they saw my prior emails, etc. about all seasons (I made that clear out of the gate)
10) side note - that red also had summer tires.
11) Once I had to wait for the tire swap, I signed the papers, went to the Benz, took off the plates, surrendered my registration and keys, and chilled about 30 minutes. I accepted the app "delivery" and it unlocked all sorts of goodness I'm still playing with.
11) lesson - a) stick to your guns and b) if you don't do your homework, they won't warn you it's the wrong tires, etc. - which is frankly not cool.
Finale - I have a service appointment at my office parking lot for monday for the console issue that i bet many have and don't notice - my neighbor is getting a new console and I likely will as well - there's a bottom shelf, and when you close the cover, the light goes on and when you fully open the cover the light goes out. reverse what it should be doing. if they never fixed it i wouldn't really car, but hey, new car and all that....
I'll write my impressions on another thread (that's what I do) but all in all, for those waiting - I have not seen anyone say it wasn't worth it (unless their car was an absolute clunker)
This will take a ton of time to get used to. I drove home like a white knuckle. I can't do most things on the car yet (at least not efficiently while driving, etc.) but I can see in 2 weeks I'll be a touch screen ninja.
Again, for those waiting patiently or impatiently,
1) it's a car. and it's only a car.
2) for me the biggest annoyance or fear was that i was forgotten in the tesla system
3) there's a LOT of negative stuff here. not saying negative people, but yeah, if my new car had damage, or wasnt' put together well, i'd be p'od, but I think most people make more noise when there's a problem then when things are good.
4) the long you wait, the more stuff will likely be improved or fixed. I think the quality control was poor in June, again mine was FLAWLESS. I did look. I still can't notice glass distortion (if it's there I can't see it). Paint defects? If there too small for me to see. And I'm NOT giving them a hall pass. My buddy's LR in August had crappy rubber trim sticking out of the window. I looked for that. nope, flawless. door handles, gaps, etc.

good luck to those waiting, hang in there. Try not to think about conspiracy theories. and yes, i'd like new headlights. but these are fine. As good as my benz? problably not. Better than my wife's lexus? you bet.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions I can whether on the forum or through a PM, and I plan to lurk here a bit longer as an attempt to give back; this and the other delivery forums were great "therapy" but at times I think they may have done more harm than good. Yes, I've seen newer orders get their cars first. Is it a conspiracy? I don't think so, I think it's logistics and luck of the draw - if you can't pick up and a later order can, and you are in a different area than that later order and the carr is "right there" yeah, I think they'll send to the one who can accept quickly. that sort of thing.

Model S Plaid updated delivery again. Was slated for April 7th - May 5th. Now it says March 18th - March 31st.
Surprised it’s so far back, usually they seem to prioritize the plaids
Yea I was originally told 2-6 weeks. I ordered about 2 weeks ago. I was shocked when they said April but happy it's moved up some. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not doing the 21" wheels because 1) I care more about performance and 2) I'd just put aftermarkets on for bigger wheels. Otherwise I have all the 'more expensive' upgrades so I'd assume they'd prioritize it.

Have my appointment for a NF465 Blue Model S to be picked up on Tuesday. Strangely my MSM Model S that ordered much later was just assigned an NF468 VIN. I was thinking it would come late enough to have the new lights on it. Not sure what to do with the order if it has all of the same stuff on it. Probably just let it go. Unless I just sell the blue one. (I originally ordered it after wishing I had ordered the white seats. now I've ordered Blue on black and MSM on white and wished I had Blue on white. oh well)

Maybe I will try to put the MSM on hold for as long as they will let me.

Have my appointment for a NF465 Blue Model S to be picked up on Tuesday. Strangely my MSM Model S that ordered much later was just assigned an NF468 VIN. I was thinking it would come late enough to have the new lights on it. Not sure what to do with the order if it has all of the same stuff on it. Probably just let it go. Unless I just sell the blue one. (I originally ordered it after wishing I had ordered the white seats. now I've ordered Blue on black and MSM on white and wished I had Blue on white. oh well)

Maybe I will try to put the MSM on hold for as long as they will let me.
They tend to (but not always) do batches of colors, where everyone who ordered a certain config (for example MSM with white interior), will receive VINs around the same time. That can cause them to match orders over a span of time that might include some newer orders over some older ones with different configs. I know when I was waiting for delivery of my Plaid, they had inventory MSM cars available while I was still waiting for a VIN on my red (MCR).

Anyone have a read on whether or not "cash" vs "financing" plays a big role in VIN assignment? Is it actually advantageous to put "cash" then switch to/back to "financing" after VIN?
I don't think it necessarily changes delivery timeline, but it's better to put "cash" and have an SA change it to financing after a VIN has been assigned so you only need to have one credit pull done, as many times the credit offer will expire while you wait for the car.

Anyone have a read on whether or not "cash" vs "financing" plays a big role in VIN assignment? Is it actually advantageous to put "cash" then switch to/back to "financing" after VIN?
I highly recommend everyone select cash until they get a VIN, then apply for credit if you wish to. It's a trivial thing for your SA to switch your payment method to financing. You also avoid applying for credit too early and getting a credit score ding if you don't get your VIN before the approval expires.

I don't think it necessarily changes delivery timeline, but it's better to put "cash" and have an SA change it to financing after a VIN has been assigned so you only need to have one credit pull done, as many times the credit offer will expire while you wait for the car.

I highly recommend everyone select cash until they get a VIN, then apply for credit if you wish to. It's a trivial thing for your SA to switch your payment method to financing. You also avoid applying for credit too early and getting a credit score ding if you don't get your VIN before the approval expires.
So they have my account marked for financing through a separate bank (as in not Tesla Financing) so my credit isn't being pulled constantly. But from what I can tell, having it as cash has led to VINs in the past.

Edit: For instance, it sounds like @Bonelaw ordered his MSM MS long after me, would be curious what he had in his account.

... I think most people make more noise when there's a problem then when things are good ...
Congratulations on the beautiful ride! Enjoy it!

I think this line of your post really sums it up - not just on this thread/TMC, but in general. Always good to keep in mind. Also, I'm glad you didn't get taken for a ride (pun intended) by the scammer and all worked out!

So now that I'm near a keyboard, I wanted to vomit my experiences yesterday and today about the car. Feel free to skip, or put on a work out video.
1) Yesterday DCU came through very quickly - I smartly decided to have the check sent to Tesla per the MVPA address. There was a real chance the physical check wouldn't have made it to me on time as the overnight has been taking up to 3 business days, and I was slated to pick up tomorrow.
2) I let my service center know what was going on - and once I had the scan of the check and tracking number (i forwarded both emails, along with the docusign from DCU) the service center told me, "good to go"
3) they didn't push for me to get the car earlier, but when i expressed interest, they said they could move me an hour earlier Friday. Friday? 2 days? not if you're part of this forum....so once they told me I was good, and I had some cancellations for my afternoon, and they said their latest pickup was 4pm that day and it was abotu 1:15pm, I asked can i pick it up now? and i gave my cell and asked to call me if no good.
4) I got my jacket on pretty quickly and zipped out the door. they called on my way to warn me might take 30 minutes to get the car ready, and I was fine with that as I drove faster.
5) BTW, I dreaded anything happening to the Benz on the way there - that would have f'd up the trade in. Nope, no problems :)
6) I get to the dealership like a giddy school girl, and see a beautiful red S, and more importantly, a gorgeous blue. The sun was actually out, and it was magnificent. and the shiny tires looked great. But i could easily see Pzero. that was a problem.
7) I had trouble parking the Benz, that place was jammed to the gills! new cars, inventory, etc. but was able to email that if that is my car and it has summer tires we have a real problem (doesn't affect this aspect, but we have 2 snows coming up, today and saturday, and it's flurrying now)
8) I get out, and therefore don't remove my benz plates. I did delete stuff from the navigation, garage door openers, etc. and had the thing cleaned out except for my "transfer bag" - EZ Pass, insurance card, etc.
9) long story short, I wouldn't sign anything. and I wasn't playing chicken (though I kept thinking tires might only be $1,500) - at the end of the day, they ended up taking the wheels off of a new car that wasn't delivered yet, and put them on mine. I asked them (not in an accusing way) how could Tesla send these to the northeast? they were also flabbergasted and said the car was probably originally intended for warm climates. They also mentioned they saw my prior emails, etc. about all seasons (I made that clear out of the gate)
10) side note - that red also had summer tires.
11) Once I had to wait for the tire swap, I signed the papers, went to the Benz, took off the plates, surrendered my registration and keys, and chilled about 30 minutes. I accepted the app "delivery" and it unlocked all sorts of goodness I'm still playing with.
11) lesson - a) stick to your guns and b) if you don't do your homework, they won't warn you it's the wrong tires, etc. - which is frankly not cool.
Finale - I have a service appointment at my office parking lot for monday for the console issue that i bet many have and don't notice - my neighbor is getting a new console and I likely will as well - there's a bottom shelf, and when you close the cover, the light goes on and when you fully open the cover the light goes out. reverse what it should be doing. if they never fixed it i wouldn't really car, but hey, new car and all that....
I'll write my impressions on another thread (that's what I do) but all in all, for those waiting - I have not seen anyone say it wasn't worth it (unless their car was an absolute clunker)
This will take a ton of time to get used to. I drove home like a white knuckle. I can't do most things on the car yet (at least not efficiently while driving, etc.) but I can see in 2 weeks I'll be a touch screen ninja.
Again, for those waiting patiently or impatiently,
1) it's a car. and it's only a car.
2) for me the biggest annoyance or fear was that i was forgotten in the tesla system
3) there's a LOT of negative stuff here. not saying negative people, but yeah, if my new car had damage, or wasnt' put together well, i'd be p'od, but I think most people make more noise when there's a problem then when things are good.
4) the long you wait, the more stuff will likely be improved or fixed. I think the quality control was poor in June, again mine was FLAWLESS. I did look. I still can't notice glass distortion (if it's there I can't see it). Paint defects? If there too small for me to see. And I'm NOT giving them a hall pass. My buddy's LR in August had crappy rubber trim sticking out of the window. I looked for that. nope, flawless. door handles, gaps, etc.

good luck to those waiting, hang in there. Try not to think about conspiracy theories. and yes, i'd like new headlights. but these are fine. As good as my benz? problably not. Better than my wife's lexus? you bet.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions I can whether on the forum or through a PM, and I plan to lurk here a bit longer as an attempt to give back; this and the other delivery forums were great "therapy" but at times I think they may have done more harm than good. Yes, I've seen newer orders get their cars first. Is it a conspiracy? I don't think so, I think it's logistics and luck of the draw - if you can't pick up and a later order can, and you are in a different area than that later order and the carr is "right there" yeah, I think they'll send to the one who can accept quickly. that sort of thing.
I am happy it has finally arrived. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So they have my account marked for financing through a separate bank (as in not Tesla Financing) so my credit isn't being pulled constantly. But from what I can tell, having it as cash has led to VINs in the past.

Edit: For instance, it sounds like @Bonelaw ordered his MSM MS long after me, would be curious what he had in his account.
I ordered the MSM on white with 19" wheels on 8/19/2021 after two price bumps, but $5k less than current MSRP. Don't remember the original EDD, but could find it if interested. I have cash payment listed for both cars.

There's a whole cadre of us here trying to decipher everyone of the Monkey's moves and this just messes up what I thought we had settled. CA should not be getting a VIN for 1154 this early in the quarter. That said congrats...
I think they stopped doing the EOQ circus after Elon's message late last year. He said they spent a lot of time and money trying to rush EOQ deliveries but it didn't make any difference in total deliveries so now they've dropped that charade.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid