Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More and more, I think the new *sugar* comes out in very late March/April.

I bet for any of us with a hold, Tesla calls us up next month and tells us either take the car or forget it. In which case, I'll tell them forget it.

Sorry - you've already agreed to allow the car to be on hold to a certain time frame, which is reasonable an has been the case in the company's history. Just because you willy nilly decide to change a policy off the cusp doesnt mean that should apply to existing agreements. if you think it does, I can buy another car, no problem.

I only think this is a possibility because of what they did with my Model 3 order. Called me in Q4 and told me that they decided either take it in Q4 or kiss their ass. I laughed and never responded. Of course, the Model 3 was the same price as it was when I ordered so it was a pretty empty threat. Obviously not the case with the Model S, but the outcome would be the same.
Does someone need to drive a Plaid again?

I bet for any of us with a hold, Tesla calls us up next month and tells us either take the car or forget it. In which case, I'll tell them forget it.

Sorry - you've already agreed to allow the car to be on hold to a certain time frame, which is reasonable an has been the case in the company's history. Just because you willy nilly decide to change a policy off the cusp doesnt mean that should apply to existing agreements. if you think it does, I can buy another car, no problem.

I only think this is a possibility because of what they did with my Model 3 order. Called me in Q4 and told me that they decided either take it in Q4 or kiss their ass. I laughed and never responded. Of course, the Model 3 was the same price as it was when I ordered so it was a pretty empty threat. Obviously not the case with the Model S, but the outcome would be the same.
Well, they did/will keep your $250 deposit when they kiss your @$$, right? 🤣

I have a feeling they will do this to my order in March since it will be EOQ. Do you have any confirmation that Tesla actually cancelled any of those 3/Y orders that ignored them? It seems like an empty threat since they value delivery numbers.

I have a feeling they will do this to my order in March since it will be EOQ. Do you have any confirmation that Tesla actually cancelled any of those 3/Y orders that ignored them? It seems like an empty threat since they value delivery numbers.

They cancelled mine straight up. I'm glad they did. I would have been so pissed had they delivered me a car with the old processor while others were getting a new one - for the same price.

They cancelled mine straight up. I'm glad they did. I would have been so pissed had they delivered me a car with the old processor while others were getting a new one - for the same price.
I totally agree. They should raise the price for every single change they make, so it's more fair to original orders. The Dual Motor Model S will be $200,000+ next month.😉

DCU for my pending LR delivery later this week, approved for entire amount (including fees, taxes..the full amount due) for 65 months at 1.24%. First payment 60 days from tomorrow.

For those who may recall, I inadvertently first applied last fall when I created my DCU account. At that time, I was only approved for about 80% of the purchase price of the car, due to lack of history of large consumer loan. (I have paid cash for all prior cars for last..15 years or more, and only have a mortgage for any other debt). Credit score wasnt the issue/was/is well over 800.

This time when I applied, only thing different was that as part of loan docs, I uploaded financial statements from my investment accounts that demonstrated a fair amount of investment holdings, dividends earned, etc. (my income from my paystub was not the issue with first application). I also uploaded my 2021 W2 which reflected income (RSU's) not reflected on individual paystubs that I previously uploaded.

Applied for this loan online last Friday, placed a call today to DCU, got a callback two hours later, and the loan person on the phone was extremely helpful. Says it was his third Tesla loan of the day (at only noon EST) and that they will fedex the check to Tesla HQ, then later today will email me image of the check as well as Fedex tracking. Says Tesla will release the car to me with just those last two items in case the check had not arrived prior to my delivery time/date. (He did offer an option of the check being mailed directly to me)

Per rules I cant offer a DCU referral code on the public forum. But feel free to PM me directly with any...questions...

I totally agree. They should raise the price for every single change they make, so it's more fair to original orders. The Dual Motor Model S will be $200,000+ next month.😉

Nah, it's so much more fair to sell two different cars to different people at the same time for the same price and if one wants to wait for the updates you just tell them to **** themselves, have them reorder and steal another $250 from em.

Nah, it's so much more fair to sell two different cars to different people at the same time for the same price and if one wants to wait for the updates you just tell them to **** themselves, have them reorder and steal another $250 from em.
Actually, it is. Way more. The reason? When the customer places the order, they agree to a price and timing for the car that is currently advertised.
SO, if they "miss out" on the changes, they are getting EXACTLY what they agreed to buy, and if they get the new changes, then they are benefiting from that.
For example, no one on this forum has paid for the new lights on Model S. They haven't been advertised yet. We are not supposed to know about those changes. Just because we know they're coming doesn't mean that any money has gone to that yet. So if you take delivery of a Model S with the old lights the day before the new ones come out, you can't complain, as you got exactly what was agreed upon.

Actually, it is. Way more. The reason? When the customer places the order, they agree to a price and timing for the car that is currently advertised.
SO, if they "miss out" on the changes, they are getting EXACTLY what they agreed to buy, and if they get the new changes, then they are benefiting from that.
For example, no one on this forum has paid for the new lights on Model S. They haven't been advertised yet. Just because we know they're coming doesn't mean that any money has gone to that yet. So if you take delivery of a Model S with the old lights the day before the new ones come out, you can't complain, as you got exactly what was agreed upon.

Fair points, BUT: Tesla changing policy to make their Q4 numbers look better because they know people would delay is BS. When I ordered my Model 3, I spoke to my SA about it being a backup plan if the Model S not working out or what have you. He said you get 6 months from the first VIN so that should give us plenty of time. The delivery estimate wasnt accurate at all and I had a VIN in like a week. After I declined they put a hold until March 2022. Then, somehow, it went from 6 months worth of holds to less than 30 days. Great customer service.

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Fair points, BUT: Tesla changing policy to make their Q4 numbers look better because they know people would delay is BS. When I ordered my Model 3, I spoke to my SA about it being a backup plan if the Model S not working out or what have you. He said you get 6 months from the first VIN so that should give us plenty of time. Somehow, it went from 6 months worth of holds to less than 30 days. Great customer service.
So the dude bragging on Reddit that he held an order for 2 years and got a Model 3 for like $13,000 cheaper should be allowed to do so? How is that not theft? Mofo held the order for 2 years, and got a much better car, with better AP, build quality, drivetrain refinements, and more. How is that fair to Tesla? If the prices are as unstable as they are, and if they can go up at any moment, why shouldn’t Tesla try to minimize the people trying to borderline steal? This applies to anyone also trying to hold. Although it's usually fine, and I understand circumstances, it's also a light form of theft if you think about it. My family member who got the LR Model 3 for $1,000 less than current price is lightly stealing, and it arguably would've been even worse if he had got the new processor. 😃

So the dude bragging on Reddit that he held an order for 2 years and got a Model 3 for like $13,000 cheaper should be allowed to do so? How is that not theft? Mofo held the order for 2 years, and got a much better car, with better AP, build quality, drivetrain refinements, and more. How is that fair to Tesla? If the prices are as unstable as they are, and if they can go up at any moment, why shouldn’t Tesla try to minimize the people trying to borderline steal?

Huh? What? You're going way too broad. Tesla's policy according to their SAs is that you get 6 months to delay an order from the first VIN. AFAIK it has been like that forever. I was told this BEFORE I ordered *sugar* and only ordered *sugar* assuming that their own stated policy would, well, be the policy.

Help me explain what's fair about Tesla saying that to me, taking my $250 and then within 30 days completely backing off and telling me that they changed their minds? It's terrible customer service and another bullet point this company is a chicken with it's head axed off.

So the dude bragging on Reddit that he held an order for 2 years and got a Model 3 for like $13,000 cheaper should be allowed to do so? How is that not theft? Mofo held the order for 2 years, and got a much better car, with better AP, build quality, drivetrain refinements, and more. How is that fair to Tesla? If the prices are as unstable as they are, and if they can go up at any moment, why shouldn’t Tesla try to minimize the people trying to borderline steal? This applies to anyone also trying to hold. Although it's usually fine, and I understand circumstances, it's also a light form of theft if you think about it. My family member who got the LR Model 3 for $1,000 less than current price is lightly stealing, and arguably been even worse if he had got the new processor. 😃
I would ague that it's not anything nearing theft since it sounds as if it was Tesla's policy at that moment in time. The moment in time aspect works in both directions...if Tesla states something in writing, they need to honor it. If we as consumers order something, we should get what we ordered, and are owed nothing more.

That said, they've obviously addressed this in the current ordering agreements.

Huh? What? You're going way too broad. Tesla's policy according to their SAs is that you get 6 months to delay an order from the first VIN. AFAIK it has been like that forever. I was told this BEFORE I ordered *sugar* and only ordered *sugar* assuming that their own stated policy would, well, be the policy.

Help me explain what's fair about Tesla saying that to me, taking my $250 and then within 30 days completely backing off and telling me that they changed their minds? It's terrible customer service and another bullet point this company is a chicken with it's head axed off.
We can agree to disagree, but I'll say this: it's company policy, ok? It can change at any moment. And guess what? Tesla is one of if not the fastest-moving large company. They see crappy stuff going on, they change it. That sword can bite both ways.
They changed their policy when everyone started holding for the tax credit. Why shouldn't they? To balance demand, Tesla would have to raise the price with the tax credit like crazy. So people who locked in the old price and then got the credit too would've been benefitting exorbitantly from it!

Reactions: uthatcher
I would ague that it's not anything nearing theft since it sounds as if it was Tesla's policy at that moment in time. The moment in time aspect works in both directions...if Tesla states something in writing, they need to honor it. If we as consumers order something, we should get what we ordered, and are owed nothing more.

That said, they've obviously addressed this in the current ordering agreements.

Exactly - they make the policy. If they don't want people having a 6 month hold then they should make it clear: you get x days to hold from first VIN or whatever. The mistake is on their end, not the customers. I never asked "hey can you hold this for 6 months" I asked "what are my options if Im not ready at the VIN assignment"...those are two very different things. I didnt order and THEN decide to ask. I asked before ordering.

We can agree to disagree, but I'll say this: it's company policy, ok? It can change at any moment. And guess what? Tesla is one of if not the fastest-moving large company. They see crappy stuff going on, they change it. That sword can bite both ways.
They changed their policy when everyone started holding for the tax credit. Why shouldn't they? To balance demand, Tesla would have to raise the price with the tax credit like crazy. So people who locked in the old price and then got the credit too would've been benefitting exorbitantly from it!

lol, what? they changed the policy on existing orders. If you can't agree that's the wrong thing to do and that if it were any other company you'd be talking *sugar* on them... then, Im sorry lol. The only party that should be blamed is Tesla for not even knowing what their own policy was and then subjecting their reservation holders to a new one. At a minimum the deposit shouldve been refunded and it wasnt. that's garbage bro.

plus - wheres all the features they advertised to us all in Feb 2021 that they have since silently removed from the website? i guess not only can they change their policies at will on existing customers, they can change what they claim youll be getting, right? All of this is pure nonsense and ridiculous. it shows how poorly Tesla is ran these days.

Exactly - they make the policy. If they don't want people having a 6 month hold then they should make it clear: you get x days to hold from first VIN or whatever. The mistake is on their end, not the customers. I never asked "hey can you hold this for 6 months" I asked "what are my options if Im not ready at the VIN assignment"...those are two very different things. I didnt order and THEN decide to ask. I asked before ordering.

lol, what? they changed the policy on existing orders. If you can't agree that's the wrong thing to do and that if it were any other company you'd be talking *sugar* on them... then, Im sorry lol. The only party that should be blamed is Tesla for not even knowing what their own policy was and then subjecting their reservation holders to a new one. At a minimum the deposit shouldve been refunded and it wasnt. that's garbage bro.

plus - wheres all the features they advertised to us all in Feb 2021 that they have since silently removed from the website? i guess not only can they change their policies at will on existing customers, they can change what they claim youll be getting, right? All of this is pure nonsense and ridiculous. it shows how poorly Tesla is ran these days.
Let's agree to disagree.😃

Technically they haven't ever changed the policy on an existing order. It is clearly written out in the order agreement how long you have to take delivery. What they have changed is them no longer allowing you to delay past what the order agreement allows. (Which differs depending on when you placed the order.)