Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I got my VIN last night for my Model S LR. I ordered it on Oct. 28 2021. EDDs flopped from March 4-April 1, then Feb 21 - March 6, then April 27 - May 10, then a day later to March 3 - March 9, then a day later got a VIN with a delivery date of March 4 - March 8. It’s hard to take the VIN seriously since I’ve seen that early last year VINs changed too. I’m thinking VIN changes were computer admin goofs but not sure. Should I start the insurance and financing process forward or wait and see?

FWIW I got my VIN last night for my Model S LR. I ordered it on Oct. 28 2021. EDDs flopped from March 4-April 1, then Feb 21 - March 6, then April 27 - May 10, then a day later to March 3 - March 9, then a day later got a VIN with a delivery date of March 4 - March 8. It’s hard to take the VIN seriously since I’ve seen that early last year VINs changed too. I’m thinking VIN changes were computer admin goofs but not sure. Should I start the insurance and financing process forward or wait and see?
Did you get a 472 or 473Xxxx vin? I’d wait until you are closer to your delivery date to prepare.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I wanted to give my impressions of the current lights for those sitting on the fence about waiting for the refreshed headlights. I was out on a dark rural road late last night for the first time since picking up my LR on Friday.

Candidly the current headlights are very good, a bit better than my wife's 2021 Mercedes GLE 53. Also, contrary to some other opinions, I found the auto high beams to be pretty good as well!

If you want a real reason to sit on the sidelines... I would wait for the horn to be removed as a touch button and put into the air bag. That is hands down the single worst design choice in this car. I will pay to get that retrofitted as soon as possible. I didn't realize how much I honk my horn until I could no longer do it on command. It is legitimately dangerous and should be a safety recall in my opinion.

Only two other gripes:
  • No blind spot monitoring (feels like a car stuck in 2012 there...) How hard is it to put an LED in the mirror? The pop-up camera view in the center screen is not an acceptable replacement, its hard to see and its not safe to look down at the screen in the middle of a lane change.
  • The right front passenger door doesn't close right unless you really slam it.
    • (I noted this at the only actual defect at delivery, otherwise car was in great shape.)

I think a VIN assignment is pretty solid. The only time I have seen VINs being withdrawn is at the end of the quarter if you're too far from the factory. Quite a few people had later December VINs withdrawn from East Coast orders last quarter. They also quickly got VIN reassignments come January. Congrats

• No blind spot monitoring (feels like a car stuck in 2012 there...) How hard is it to put an LED in the mirror? The pop-up camera view in the center screen is not an acceptable replacement, its hard to see and its not safe to look down at the screen in the middle of a lane change.
Not to diminish your experience but I think there's a learning curve for the Tesla blind spot monitoring. I'd also activate the warning tones and learn to drive using those and not so much the visual if in fact you think you can't quickly glance at the screen. l find the tones for all sorts of warnings very useful. Theoretically I think glancing at the screen is probably as good or as bad as glancing at your door mirror. But then again I cannot compare to mirror systems as I have never driven a car with equipped with mirror blind spot monitoring.

Last edited:
I wanted to give my impressions of the current lights for those sitting on the fence about waiting for the refreshed headlights. I was out on a dark rural road late last night for the first time since picking up my LR on Friday.

Candidly the current headlights are very good, a bit better than my wife's 2021 Mercedes GLE 53. Also, contrary to some other opinions, I found the auto high beams to be pretty good as well!

If you want a real reason to sit on the sidelines... I would wait for the horn to be removed as a touch button and put into the air bag. That is hands down the single worst design choice in this car. I will pay to get that retrofitted as soon as possible. I didn't realize how much I honk my horn until I could no longer do it on command. It is legitimately dangerous and should be a safety recall in my opinion.

Only two other gripes:
  • The right front passenger door doesn't close right unless you really slam it.
    • (I noted this at the only actual defect at delivery, otherwise car was in great shape.)
Good to hear about the lights with your experience. I must say with my Y, I dislike how autopilot constantly puts the lights into high-beams. So I look forward to getting matrix lights or hopefully even the existing adaptive lights can be tweaked based on the new approved NHTSA headlight rule yesterday.

Not to diminish your experience but I think there's a learning curve for the Tesla blind spot monitoring. I'd also activate the warning tones and learn to drive using those and not so much the visual if in fact as you you think you can't quickly glance at the screen. l find the tones for all sorts of warnings very useful. Theoretically I think glancing at the screen is probably as good or as bad as glancing at your door mirror. But then again I cannot compare to mirror systems as I have never driven a car with equipped with mirror blind spot monitoring.
I haven't driven mine long enough to form an opinion, but I watched a Ryan Shaw YouTube review where he pointed out that if you're changing lanes to the left, looking at the main touchscreen is in the opposite direction. He suggested a better implementation would have the camera feed in the instrument panel in front of you instead.