Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is truly painful. I think they lied to you about this car just missing a spoiler, and not a reject.

I think they skipped the spoiler install because of the clear coat issue, and kicked it down the road to the SvC.

More on this later.

By law they have to disclose damage and have you sign acknowledging it. Did not happen here. So am very perplexed about this.

Anyway. It will get fixed. Be as good as Teslas go. I’ll be happy soon enough. Just a vat of vinegar at the moment.

By law they have to disclose damage and have you sign acknowledging it. Did not happen here. So am very perplexed about this.

Anyway. It will get fixed. Be as good as Teslas go. I’ll be happy soon enough. Just a ball of vinegar at the moment.

I think a skilled paint expert could determine if a second coat of CC was applied. That would imply damage, and Tesla should be held accountable.

Anyway. It will get fixed. Be as good as Teslas go. I’ll be happy soon enough. Just a vat of vinegar at the moment.
That’s not actually true. Many cars are subject to minor-to-moderate repairs before delivery and they do not need to disclose it.

I think a skilled paint expert could determine if a second coat of CC was applied. That would imply damage, and Tesla should be held accountable.

In most states that only applies if the repair costs more than something like 5 or 10% of the vehicle.

“Hang ‘em high”! Sorry again. No one should have to go through this after spending so much money.

So sorry to hear about your car @Ohmster! I hope all is well soon.😃

Thanks, all. A bit of a lousy chapter in this story.

Will talk to body shop on Monday.

I have requested that I get a formal explanation from Tesla as to what happened. Who knows if that will yield anything at this point.

5-10% on this car is a lot of coin!

Actually, my understanding of this is that the damage has to meet some threshold amount before it must be disclosed to the buyer . . . and with Tesla doing the repairs one might surmise that their cost will often be below that threshold now that Tesla has a "corporate mindset" and has no issue with screwing people over (ask me how I know).

That said, some brands now disclose EVERYTHING done to repair a new car after some legal action that punished them severely for not doing so.

Each state's damage threshold is different IIRC, but hopefully one of our legal eagles will chime in with more details?

There is some interesting reading on this as a result of the original $4m judgement against BMW some decades ago (reduced to "only" $2m on appeal):

How did you know that the 295/35/21 wouldn't cause any damage? I'm new at ordering tires so usually I'd just stick with OEM but can't find any All Seasons that are the same size as OEM.
I guess I didn't with absolute certainty. Mostly just research on willtheyfit, local shop, and a few phone calls with the folks at tirerack (where I ordered from). Local tire shop was helpful with questions, measuring and checking clearance. Tirerack's mobile installer agreed to let me take a single ride around the block to see if they were rubbing before he left (and would take back tires if so minus the cost of the call/installation (~$200)) so I figured it was worth a try.

Running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s for the Arachnids since Dec. I like them a lot. Not as sticky as the summers (of course) but not much drop off in handling and grip. Much, much better cold and snow/slush performance, as expected.

Two things to note are that fronts are OEM size, but the rears are 295/35/21 instead of 30 profile, and no foam inside the tire. I have noticed no rub or any suspension/braking issues. Speedo variation seems minimal/non-existent. Noise might be slightly higher with no foam, but I hardly notice now. I may keep them on year round.
Exact same tires/tire size here. And Im running aftermarket 21's that have lower offset front and rear to get a slightly wider stance. Zero rubbing/zero issues at all. Plan to run these tires year round.

Tried to post a pic but its .heic file type, which for some reason, isnt allowed on this forum.

Thanks, all. A bit of a lousy chapter in this story.

Will talk to body shop on Monday.

I have requested that I get a formal explanation from Tesla as to what happened. Who knows if that will yield anything at this point.

5-10% on this car is a lot of coin!
@Ohmster I believe you mentioned in your OP that your PPF installer was going to cover everything but the peeling trunk. I’m not sure that’s a good idea because the repaint will require blending into the quarter panels and rear bumper - if done right. If the panels and rear bumper are covered in PFF, Tesla may refuse to work on it or have to remove the PFF - leaving you having to pay your installer again for these areas. The installer knows this, I’m sure. Kind of pisses me off to see both that person and Tesla try to soak you for more money, given the situation.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That’s not actually true. Many cars are subject to minor-to-moderate repairs before delivery and they do not need to disclose it.
This is 100% true. There are fully functioning, high volume body shops set up at most ports to handle this exactly. Many cars get minor damage when being shipped and the dealers are not even aware of the repair. Obviously different with Tesla in the US, but conceptually it's the same.

This is 100% true. There are fully functioning, high volume body shops set up at most ports to handle this exactly. Many cars get minor damage when being shipped and the dealers are not even aware of the repair. Obviously different with Tesla in the US, but conceptually it's the same.
I learned of this when I did European Delivery with a BMW (you fly over to Germany, take possession of the car there legally and drive it around, then they ship it back as your car so it's not taxed/tariffed as an import). People obviously don't want to be told their brand new luxury car was damaged in transport, so they fix them and... just don't tell them hahahaha.

I learned of this when I did European Delivery with a BMW (you fly over to Germany, take possession of the car there legally and drive it around, then they ship it back as your car so it's not taxed/tariffed as an import). People obviously don't want to be told their brand new luxury car was damaged in transport, so they fix them and... just don't tell them hahahaha.
In this vein of the European delivery program, I have often wondered why Tesla could not implement a similar program for people from other States to go to Fremont and pick up for later registration in their own state. I have brought up this idea previously here and the responses were to do with insurance and ownership in transit but all speculation. If someone knows exactly why this cannot be done within the US but allowed from overseas enlighten us. But again if the European delivery program works for BMW and MB, why not a similar program for the only direct sales company in the US? I'd sure have had my car by now because I'd totally take the time off to drive back from Fremont.
For those who may not know in this program you pick up the car from the factory in Germany, Drive around in Europe and return the car to a designated place in whatever European country you choose for MB (or BMW) to ship the car to your local dealership in the States where you pick up from.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid