Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been so dead in here this first week of April.

I went to check on the X LR owners and they are all a wreck as well, delay after delay, longer waits, constantly pushed EDD's essentially a duplicate of here. It made me feel sad and gave me some comfort that we are not alone here. Misery loves company.

I just wish Tesla did more to be transparent and not treat their customers like absolute garbage. Everyone is at their wit's end with the process or lack thereof.
I feel like this quarter things will get worse. I hope I am wrong though.

On a positive note, each day that passes gets me a day closer to hopefully get this magical car....
Yeah, my MXP order went from October to March 30-April 15 to April 2-19 then back to October. I don't care.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Story time.
Received Vin a week ago. EDD 4/9 - 4/13. Today the VIN remains but EDD is TBD. Intrigued, I did the one thing NO ONE should ever do. I called my service advisor. I spoke with the Tesla virtual Florida customer service. They advised the car was in fact receiving a software update, to proceed with credit and anticipate pick up this week. Something felt off, so I called back again spoke with the another member of the Tesla virtual Florida customer service team. This time I was told the vehicle is in Alabama, and remains in transit. Just for giggles two hours later I called and spoke with the Tesla virtual Florida customer service team again, This time I was advised the vehicle remains in California. Estimated transit times are 17 days from coast to coast. Calling again before 6 see if it’s back in Bama.

Story time.
Received Vin a week ago. EDD 4/9 - 4/13. Today the VIN remains but EDD is TBD. Intrigued, I did the one thing NO ONE should ever do. I called my service advisor. I spoke with the Tesla virtual Florida customer service. They advised the car was in fact receiving a software update, to proceed with credit and anticipate pick up this week. Something felt off, so I called back again spoke with the another member of the Tesla virtual Florida customer service team. This time I was told the vehicle is in Alabama, and remains in transit. Just for giggles two hours later I called and spoke with the Tesla virtual Florida customer service team again, This time I was advised the vehicle remains in California. Estimated transit times are 17 days from coast to coast. Calling again before 6 see if it’s back in Bama.
Stop calling, it's getting further away! Or call a lot more and push it around the globe the long way to FL.

Which law? It varies by state.
Yup. Only quoting my Loyalty Advisor and for CA.

I understand factory corrected issues. That happens in manufacturing day in and day out.

It’s the blatant and amateur hour attempts to correct something that was damaged in transit or at the Service Center that irk me.

Yup. Only quoting my Loyalty Advisor and for CA.

I understand factory corrected issues. That happens in manufacturing day in and day out.

It’s the blatant and amateur hour attempts to correct something that was damaged in transit or at the Service Center that irk me.
Being duped is the worst part. Them watching you look it over and smirking, “I wonder if he’ll notice be before he signs”.

I took delivery of my new MS on January 31, 2022. I did a pretty thorough (or so I thought) pre-delivery inspection and I was happy that the only issues I found were a misaligned rear hatch and some minor trim alignment issues. I was warned by the delivery agent that any paint issues such as scratches and chips must be found and reported within 24 hours of delivery. So I spent a little more time on that.

Last weekend I waxed the car for the first time. While I was rubbing out the front hood, I noticed that on the left front section there was a ridge that ran from the left edge to the raised area of the hood. The ridge is very perceptible when you run your hand over it, but it is almost impossible to see unless you focus on the area and then look at it from several different angles. It is more noticeable when in very bright sunlight. Now that I know it's there, I see it much more often. I have attached a photo, but I was unable to take a shot where the ridge is visible, but I circled the area to show where it can be found.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the assembly robot manhandled the hood during assembly.

I requested a service appointment and today someone from the service center called me. The first thing he asked was, did I report it within 24 hours of delivery. I explained that I was told the 24-hour 'rule' applied to paint damage and this was an incidence of panel damage. I mentioned that the damage is very hard to see but very easy to feel. He told me that because I was reporting after the 24 hour period, it would require special permission to approve any repair.

Has anyone heard of similar damage to the hood? Because of the automation used during assembly, I assume that other vehicles manufactured around the same time might have been similarly affected. Also looking for any ideas about how to explain this issue to the service center personnel so that they will take appropriate ownership. The vibe I got from the conversation with the service center guy leaves me concerned that they will try to deny it despite the lack of any other reasonable explanation beyond a manufacturing defect. My appointment for them to inspection appointment is today. Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 115
I took delivery of my new MS on January 31, 2022. I did a pretty thorough (or so I thought) pre-delivery inspection and I was happy that the only issues I found were a misaligned rear hatch and some minor trim alignment issues. I was warned by the delivery agent that any paint issues such as scratches and chips must be found and reported within 24 hours of delivery. So I spent a little more time on that.

Last weekend I waxed the car for the first time. While I was rubbing out the front hood, I noticed that on the left front section there was a ridge that ran from the left edge to the raised area of the hood. The ridge is very perceptible when you run your hand over it, but it is almost impossible to see unless you focus on the area and then look at it from several different angles. It is more noticeable when in very bright sunlight. Now that I know it's there, I see it much more often. I have attached a photo, but I was unable to take a shot where the ridge is visible, but I circled the area to show where it can be found.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that the assembly robot manhandled the hood during assembly.

I requested a service appointment and today someone from the service center called me. The first thing he asked was, did I report it within 24 hours of delivery. I explained that I was told the 24-hour 'rule' applied to paint damage and this was an incidence of panel damage. I mentioned that the damage is very hard to see but very easy to feel. He told me that because I was reporting after the 24 hour period, it would require special permission to approve any repair.

Has anyone heard of similar damage to the hood? Because of the automation used during assembly, I assume that other vehicles manufactured around the same time might have been similarly affected. Also looking for any ideas about how to explain this issue to the service center personnel so that they will take appropriate ownership. The vibe I got from the conversation with the service center guy leaves me concerned that they will try to deny it despite the lack of any other reasonable explanation beyond a manufacturing defect. My appointment for them to inspection appointment is today. Any input appreciated.
They won't try to deny an obvious manufacturing defect. If on the other hand it's consistent with an item left under the hood and then closing it.... you can see the dilemma. Hard to see anything on the picture but could be candidate for paintless dent repair guys.

Just pushed another month out. May 11 - June 15… Located in MA - July 2021 order. 1153xx
That sucks. Seems like a pretty common configuration and would be available . At least you have the pre price increase reservation.
I honestly have been looking on eBay and am tempted to grab Red Plaid, but I really want the new lights. If the difference was $15k I would do it in a heartbeat, but $30k has me hesitating.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid