Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for all the replies, I will be picking up from Fremont tomorrow, fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly! Really not sure what to expect, seems like there will be nothing to expect since some of the folks here have noted that there will literally be no one there to walk me around the car.
Stay positive. The car and everything will be better than anticipated. You will be a happy camper. It’s been all good here, one year and counting. 🚀🏎

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I will be picking up from Fremont tomorrow, fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly! Really not sure what to expect, seems like there will be nothing to expect since some of the folks here have noted that there will literally be no one there to walk me around the car.
I am located in the Bay Area & ordered in April 2022. When did you order?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yes, but most places won't let you open the car before payment.
I think most will open the door for you if you ask nicely, but sometimes finding a person who isn't doing 5 things at once and can take a few minutes for you isn't the easiest at a Tesla store. Surely they won't let you test drive it until you accept delivery though, which is unfortunate. Honestly, what you can see though the windows is 99% of what you'll see when you sit in it anyway, and I haven't had anything that would've been different if I had indeed inspected the interior before accepting delivery. I just do a walk around the car, look for misfitting panels, paint defects, or otherwise glaring omissions and call it done.

Actually haven't had any issues on delivery with the 5 Teslas I've bought... generally any problems you're gonna have show up a couple months after you buy it, haha.

Had my first Mobile service experience today. It went very well. received the regular floor mats even though my advisor promised me they'd send the all weather ones due to my wait and problems with incorrect interior panels at delivery. I need to follow up on that but happy to at least have floor mats now. Also got the rear privacy shelf and they fixed our interior panel so we are now 100% creme interior. Had him rig some double-sided tape on the rattling screen pivot plastic which seemed to reduce the noise quite a bit, also helped me get the home link programmed. Overall great service experience so far and having it done at home is pretty nice.

One thing the guy did tell me is he recommended that we charge to 90% instead of 80%. He said new guidance from engineering was suggesting this going forward for best battery life retention. Seems like I get 1000 different opinions here.

Still trying to sort out some individual settings on making sure my car knows I am at home and not auto presenting handles and locking/unlocking the car constantly when I am walking in and out of the garage etc. Will continue to play around with that. Looking at my charging stats it always shows as "Other" instead of "home" charging too. not sure what that is about but all minor stuff that I may sort out someday.

Had my first Mobile service experience today. It went very well. received the regular floor mats even though my advisor promised me they'd send the all weather ones due to my wait and problems with incorrect interior panels at delivery. I need to follow up on that but happy to at least have floor mats now. Also got the rear privacy shelf and they fixed our interior panel so we are now 100% creme interior. Had him rig some double-sided tape on the rattling screen pivot plastic which seemed to reduce the noise quite a bit, also helped me get the home link programmed. Overall great service experience so far and having it done at home is pretty nice.

One thing the guy did tell me is he recommended that we charge to 90% instead of 80%. He said new guidance from engineering was suggesting this going forward for best battery life retention. Seems like I get 1000 different opinions here.

Still trying to sort out some individual settings on making sure my car knows I am at home and not auto presenting handles and locking/unlocking the car constantly when I am walking in and out of the garage etc. Will continue to play around with that. Looking at my charging stats it always shows as "Other" instead of "home" charging too. not sure what that is about but all minor stuff that I may sort out someday.
Can you elaborate? Charge to 90% and then recharge to 90% every night, or hold off on charging until it reaches a certain threshold (unless range is needed, of course)?

Can you elaborate? Charge to 90% and then recharge to 90% every night, or hold off on charging until it reaches a certain threshold (unless range is needed, of course)?
Yeah, he didn't really go into much detail but basically said you need to "flex" the battery and pushing to 90% and draining the battery to below 40% or as low as you are comfortable at least once per week or two. He still suggested keeping it plugged in and charging each night. It is not going to be very often that I will drive from 90% to 40%. I am certainly not going to do it for no reason just because some service guy suggested it. I have an 8YR battery warranty the degradation is the least of my worries to be honest.

I am not taking what he had to say as gospel but they are lithium batteries and should not have memory in theory so it really shouldn't matter. Everyone is going to have their own opinions. Who knows if it came down from high up engineers or just some other tech in the department? I am undecided if I will go to 90%. May do it occasionally but likely will leave at 80% as I have been doing.

Yeah, he didn't really go into much detail but basically said you need to "flex" the battery and pushing to 90% and draining the battery to below 40% or as low as you are comfortable at least once per week or two. He still suggested keeping it plugged in and charging each night. It is not going to be very often that I will drive from 90% to 40%. I am certainly not going to do it for no reason just because some service guy suggested it. I have an 8YR battery warranty the degradation is the least of my worries to be honest.

I am not taking what he had to say as gospel but they are lithium batteries and should not have memory in theory so it really shouldn't matter. Everyone is going to have their own opinions. Who knows if it came down from high up engineers or just some other tech in the department? I am undecided if I will go to 90%. May do it occasionally but likely will leave at 80% as I have been doing.
Interesting. I've been at 70%, and I drive so infrequently that I probably will end up plugging the car in just once per week. I wonder if I should plug it in more often and leave it plugged in. Thoughts?

Interesting. I've been at 70%, and I drive so infrequently that I probably will end up plugging the car in just once per week. I wonder if I should plug it in more often and leave it plugged in. Thoughts?
I dont have any real opinions. Just what I have been told by neighbors that have had teslas for a while, ABCs. Always be charging.

I did drop my charge rate to 50% while I was gone last week. I was a little surprised to see I didn’t lose more than ~1% max per day. Never even reached near 50%. Barely lost anything while idle. I did leave it plugged in the entire time though.

My suggestion? Ignore anything that comes out of a Tesla adviser’s mouth. While there are doubtless many of them that know what they are talking about, my suspicion is this battery-charging advice is not official.