Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the minute Tesla decide as a design team to make a change, they at least start making provisions for it on the production line almost immediately. If the front camera has been confirmed, then I would think there's at least a harness for it to add it later - similarly to what they did with the HW2.5 to 3 FSD updates.
That's my hope. They found it in the firmware already I think for Model S so I hope the harness is there too. I'd pay for the retrofit.

Will have to see how it mounts in real life if it's ever released. My guess would be that it'd be one of the easily replaceable pieces of plastic that change rather than changing the bumper entirely. Probably #3 or #6 here

View attachment 994616
Do you know if adding whatever wiring the camera would need would be difficult? If all they need to do is swap out some parts and run a cable with less than an hour of labor, hopefully they'll offer it as a $700 upgrade or something.

Do you know if adding whatever wiring the camera would need would be difficult? If all they need to do is swap out some parts and run a cable with less than an hour of labor, hopefully they'll offer it as a $700 upgrade or something.
I can't imagine the wiring being difficult - these cars are pretty modular, though I haven't personally taken the car apart to plan it out. What might be more difficult is whatever would need to be added for the camera washer (which is apparently a thing on the cybertruck).

The pre-release highland renders do make it look like it's probably attached to that lower grill trim rather than the bumper itself

1701267087521.png

Reactions: dsm363
Sorry but I find the “all they need to do“ and ‘run a cable in less then an hour” rather a funny assumption. Think about All the parts that need to come off from front bumper to inside car Inside computer to plug it in. Sounds like “a bit” more than all you got to do to me. lol.

Sorry but I find the “all they need to do“ and ‘run a cable in less then an hour” rather a funny assumption. Think about All the parts that need to come off from front bumper to inside car Inside computer to plug it in. Sounds like “a bit” more than all you got to do to me. lol.
The car computer is mostly accessible from the frunk. It's not quite as much labor as you're imaginging, and it's actually pretty common for harnesses to be run like that for retrofits in the legacy world.

I don't think think Tesla will sell it as an official retrofit, but I don't think it'll be difficult for us mere mortals to do if someone can figure out the software (there are people out there with access to make gateway changes, so shouldn't be a huge barrier)

Reactions: dsm363
You most definitely miss out no matter if you buy now, next week, next month or next year. You're already aware, Tesla gathers no moss and changes things all the time.
Eh, the people who got in before the ultrasonics were removed made out pretty well. The expectation used to be constant improvement. Now you have to hope they don't remove more *sugar* by the time your car comes in.

Eh, the people who got in before the ultrasonics were removed made out pretty well. The expectation used to be constant improvement. Now you have to hope they don't remove more *sugar* by the time your car comes in.
Yeah, that too. My 2022 MSLR has USS. But they are useless. Constantly changing squiggly lines and distance guesstimates. My Car has an anxiety attack each time I back into my garage. I'm used to it and gently whisper "its gonna be ok".

We ordered yesterday morning also. Our SA has been monitoring the build dates and order volume pretty closely. She texted me with “The time to order is now” Our focus is more on the FUSC transfer than a 24 vin. We’ll see how it plays out but just looking forward having another Model S in the garage.

On Monday Tesla took all her Model S and Model X demo vehicles. They are being claimed by someone…
Interesting SA feedback.

I thought this kinda ended yesterday for Model S when the delivery window changed to Dec - Jan from Nov - Dec shown this past Monday unless you get a reallicated unwanted order.

Model Y still shows Dec, but you mentioned S.

Interesting SA feedback.

I thought this kinda ended yesterday for Model S when the delivery window changed to Dec - Jan from Nov - Dec shown this past Monday unless you get a reallicated unwanted order.

Model Y still shows Dec, but you mentioned S.
I was told by SA in San Diego, that even if S EDD showed Dec - Jan, they would still honor it, as it shows Dec as a possibility.

You most definitely will miss out no matter if you buy now, next week, next month or next year. You're already aware, Tesla gathers no moss and changes things all the time.
I understand that. Have been following Tesla 15 years. I meant they created this small window for Supercharging transfer and also something I’d probably wait for coming around same time. There is always something new coming out. I get that.

Reactions: zoomer0056
We ordered yesterday morning also. Our SA has been monitoring the build dates and order volume pretty closely. She texted me with “The time to order is now” Our focus is more on the FUSC transfer than a 24 vin. We’ll see how it plays out but just looking forward having another Model S in the garage.

On Monday Tesla took all her Model S and Model X demo vehicles. They are being claimed by someone…
Probably in storage. That CT will take up a lot of room in the Store😁

The car computer is mostly accessible from the frunk. It's not quite as much labor as you're imaginging, and it's actually pretty common for harnesses to be run like that for retrofits in the legacy world.

I don't think think Tesla will sell it as an official retrofit, but I don't think it'll be difficult for us mere mortals to do if someone can figure out the software (there are people out there with access to make gateway changes, so shouldn't be a huge barrier)
Thanks. Maybe hour guess is way off. My main question was possible without taking apart entire car or not. So if it’s something they can offer as an official retrofit for not a ton, that’s great. If not, it is what it is.