Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steer by wire is too much re-engineering for the model S/X. And no real benefit. Re-engineering to put 2170s or 4680s in there would be better, but also won't happen since it likely would require new crash testing.
The benefit to steer by wire for S/X is that it turns the yoke into a useable option.

Did you have a deposit on a Cyber Truck which would now give you a $1,000 discount on a Model S?

I asked this in different forum but no one answered. My 2020 model 3 showed the limited regen braking in the status bar when it was cold outside. I can’t figure out how to see this in the new S. Any thoughts? I know that green bar is there behind the wheel.
Do you have the "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited" option turned on? If so, that bar won't show anything when regen is limited since it simulates the regen with the brakes so that driving is consistent.

I'm not convinced it would require a *tremendous* amount of reengineering, seems like it'd be easier to go to steer by wire than the other way around. Certainly would be easier than engineering the car to accept 4680s (2170 might be doable). But I don't think it's something they'll do any time soon. Perhaps in a year or two with a "Raven" style refresh

I don't think there'd be a real advantage to 2170 or 4680 over the 18650s either way.
Why have they stuck with 18650 all this time? I thought they had a long term contract they had to use up or something.

Why have they stuck with 18650 all this time? I thought they had a long term contract they had to use up or something.
The current 18650 cells are different chemistry from what they used to use, so I don’t think it’s a contractual obligation that kept them.

Generally speaking, the smaller the cell, the more efficiently you can cool them since the surface area to volume ratio will be higher. The downside to Tesla is that you need to use more of them and it’s more expensive to assemble.

Reactions: dsm363
So...yet another update. I went in to look it over. They replaced the bumper and the rocker panel they damaged the last attempt at repair. The fender is not flush...we had another argument and they are going to look to see what they can do. Fine. I go home and receive a message that night that the tech damaged the rocker panel they just replaced while adjusting it. You can't make this stuff up lol.

Not sure if this info is helpful but I had someone call the local dealership for me in mid October regarding how to get a 24 Plaid S and they said to place the order in the first or second week of December. They advised her to call back and that they would let them know if I would receive a 24 vin based on the order date.
I hope 28 Nov gets it but I also hope I get a delivery by last week of Dec