Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great news - congrats! What was your EDD window immediately before they scheduled delivery? The front end of my 10 day EDD window is tomorrow so hoping to hear something soon about scheduling delivery for Nashville.
My very first scheduled window was February 9-18. It moved back twice. It was about half way through the last schedule
Looking forward to you getting your car tomorrow. Be sure to post lots of pics. Also, just for clarification, your vin does have RF in it, right?
Yes it's rf 2024 vin.

I got an RF VIN assigned yesterday.
MSP/Stealth/Black/Wheel/21in
Timeline:
12/9: ordered
First EDD: Feb 4th - March16th
Jan 5th: re-sign contract for range change
Feb 5th: new EDD: Feb 10th - March 6th (then reduced again to March 2nd not sure when)
Feb 10th: VIN assigned, New EDD: Feb 22nd - Feb 29th (had to accept Tesla Vision too)
Delivery date set today: Feb 26th (was the earliest day offered).

Reactions: Chip Geek
Just wanted to say something about this. Andrej Karpathy (Ex Tesla AI/FSD Director) mentioned 2 yrs ago in one of the interview with Lex saying that Tesla Vision can do distance measurement and there is no point having additional equipment like radar to measure close object distance; Radar was there when the tech wasnt ready at that time, its always their intent to remove radar.

Parking sensor(radar) are just older tech that works, but its redundant(Karpathy's word) when the car is travelling above moderate speed, but Vision can do all the things that radar can do at low speed, hence the decision.

With Hardware 4 and higher resolution cameras and more powerful onboard computer for processing the feed, on the current Model S, Vision will be able to do their job well. And also, without radars around the car, looks even cleaner and minimalistic imo. So, you are not getting an inferior car dw.
Vision counts down the inches until the object like the old system did? It wasn't exact or perfect before either but without a front bumper camera, it's not the same yet. If when they eliminated the sensors vision worked just as well or better, I'd agree with him. But not if it takes 2-3 years to catch up.

Just wanted to say something about this. Andrej Karpathy (Ex Tesla AI/FSD Director) mentioned 2 yrs ago in one of the interview with Lex saying that Tesla Vision can do distance measurement and there is no point having additional equipment like radar to measure close object distance; Radar was there when the tech wasnt ready at that time, its always their intent to remove radar.

Parking sensor(radar) are just older tech that works, but its redundant(Karpathy's word) when the car is travelling above moderate speed, but Vision can do all the things that radar can do at low speed, hence the decision.

With Hardware 4 and higher resolution cameras and more powerful onboard computer for processing the feed, on the current Model S, Vision will be able to do their job well. And also, without radars around the car, looks even cleaner and minimalistic imo. So, you are not getting an inferior car dw.
Radar and ultrasonic sensors have nothing to do with each other.

I overall disagree with the thesis that vision can do everything radar can, but there is at least some logic there. Ultrasonics are meant for low speed situations where you need very high precision - i.e parking. Vision just isn't accurate enough to replace ultrasonics, especially with the low resolution cameras Tesla uses.

Reactions: dsm363
Radar and ultrasonic sensors have nothing to do with each other.

I overall disagree with the thesis that vision can do everything radar can, but there is at least some logic there. Ultrasonics are meant for low speed situations where you need very high precision - i.e parking. Vision just isn't accurate enough to replace ultrasonics, especially with the low resolution cameras Tesla uses.
They could have at least kept the USS in the front of the car. Backing up you at least have the camera there so it's less of an issue. Either way, they shouldn't have eliminated them until a better system was in place.

Reactions: ICUDoc and aerodyne
Wow, up to 622 on MS inventory in US. 460 MSLR's. 162 Plaids.

1708093467069.png