Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I like the 3-D view better than birds eye cameras. I took my wife’s jeep that has a camera based birds iview through a very tight drive-through with all of the cameras in the mirrors it was still a little difficult to navigate. When I took our X through I definitely felt more confident with the narrow pathway using the 3-D view.
Have you seen Lucid Air Birds Eye view? Think that is the best I have seen. Wish Tesla had that.

I’ve heard bad reviews of RPM Tesla so was looking at TSportline, but they’re way more expensive. I’m guessing you had no issues with RPM?
No issues with them at all, in fact they’re my go to Carbon Fiber accessories dealer. I made the mistake on my M3P not to get protection for the mirror caps and they ended up getting damaged over time though but that’s my fault.

Unless you’re trying for FSD/FUSC transfer or need a car right away, wouldn’t hurt to wait to see what the post-March 1 builds look like.

So, a funny thing happened. These rumors started flying around and I began thinking “maybe it would be nice to upgrade our X … if I can take FSD & FUSC with me.”

So I’ve been watching patiently to see what’s happening here, and the answer is … nothing.

In the meanwhile, I gave the X a nice bath and took it for a long drive yesterday. Damn, I love that car. No reason to replace it whatsoever.

We’re just going to stick to plan A, drive it till the wheels come off, and then put them back on and keep going.

Sure, some of the new doodads would be nice …. But as vehicles go, as a road tripper or driving around town? She’s really hard to beat.

So I’ll happily save the $85k and just keep on keepin’ on.

Appreciate all these rumors since they made me introspectively look at what we really want … and for now, $85k > slightly better car.

Even if the changes were announced tomorrow morning, we’re going to stick it out with the current X. Would rather wait and see what the future holds …

(PS - I recognize this is a Model S thread but the changes apply to both ... apologies on the cross-pollination if that bothers anyone.)

Last edited:
So, a funny thing happened. These rumors started flying around and I began thinking “maybe it would be nice to upgrade our X … if I can take FSD & FUSC with me.”

So I’ve been watching patiently to see what’s happening here, and the answer is … nothing.

In the meanwhile, I gave the X a nice bath and took it for a long drive yesterday. Damn, I love that car. No reason to replace it whatsoever.

We’re just going to stick to plan A, drive it till the wheels come off, and then put them back on and keep going.

Sure, some of the new doodads would be nice …. But as vehicles go, as a road tripper or driving around town? She’s really hard to beat.

Appreciate all these rumors since they made me introspectively look at what we really want … and for now, $85k > slightly better car.

Even if the changes were announced tomorrow morning, we’re going to stick it out with the current X. Would rather wait and see what the future holds …

(PS - I recognize this is a Model S thread but the changes apply to both ... apologies on the cross-pollination if that bothers anyone.)
Would have done the same 👍

I wish I had your luck with MXs 😢. After 2, I’ve had to give up on them.

I wish I had your luck with MXs 😢. After 2, I’ve had to give up on them.

Very sorry to hear that. What were the issues you ran into?

Ours has been, if not flawless, dang close. I mean, we had the early half shaft vibrations everyone else did, and a squeaky upper control arm, but both of those are minor in the grand scheme and have been 100% fixed.

It's been pretty much flawless since, and we've got 75,000 very hard miles on her. She's road tripped coast to coast, pulled our travel trailer up and down the eastern seaboard, and just had more trip and driving and put in more work than I ever thought possible.

The harder she's worked, the better she's been. We don't baby it, or manage the battery in any meaningful way, or really do much of anything except the occasional car wash and top-off the windshield washer fluid. (And if you see the photos, she has an occasional side gig as a demo unit for firefighter training ... we disassemble the FWD panels to help show them where the gotchas are - hinges, springs, airbag cylinders etc....)

Hard to ask for much more. That's why if there were any possible replacement, it'd be another X. There's definitely things in the newer generation (i.e. heat pump/better HVAC primarily) that we'd like ... but all of these rumors made us really examine whether those niceties are worth reinvesting another $85k and the answer appears to be ... not now.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 5
Very sorry to hear that. What were the issues you ran into?

Ours has been, if not flawless, dang close. I mean, we had the early half shaft vibrations everyone else did, and a squeaky upper control arm, but both of those are minor in the grand scheme and have been 100% fixed.

It's been pretty much flawless since, and we've got 75,000 very hard miles on her. She's road tripped coast to coast, pulled our travel trailer up and down the eastern seaboard, and just had more trip and driving and put in more work than I ever thought possible.

The harder she's worked, the better she's been. We don't baby it, or manage the battery in any meaningful way, or really do much of anything except the occasional car wash and top-off the windshield washer fluid. (And if you see the photos, she has an occasional side gig as a demo unit for firefighter training ... we disassemble the FWD panels to help show them where the gotchas are - hinges, springs, airbag cylinders etc....)

Hard to ask for much more. That's why if there were any possible replacement, it'd be another X. There's definitely things in the newer generation (i.e. heat pump/better HVAC primarily) that we'd like ... but all of these rumors made us really examine whether those niceties are worth reinvesting another $85k and the answer appears to be ... not now.

View attachment 1026428
Ours is over 7 years old. Not a single issue other than the aforementioned panel misalignment and gaps my wife doesn’t care about.

Yes of course it wouldn't make any sense to replace a perfectly good car that you were planning to keep for a long time just for the FUSC/FSD transfer. I'm in somewhat of a similar situation and kind of on the fence whether to replace our '16 model S with a new one or not. It still runs perfect and has around 10% battery degradation after 215K miles. I did put in an order for a new MSLR but still debating if it is worth spending $90k on. In some ways it is, as the new S is considerably better than ours and has a much much higher range. Plus the powertrain warranty is about to expire. And the free supercharging in the new car will actually save us a good amount on our electric bill vs the current car. For now I have left the decision on these rumored upgrades. If the new car has them I'll get it. Otherwise wait for the next time they offer fusc transfer.

Reactions: leletyM3

For those of us that want ambient lighting but have taken delivery, have some technical/mechanical know-how, 200$ (less if you have the tools), access to a socket wrench with a 2in extension and a 10mm deep socket, a torx bit driver, and isn't afraid to pull really damn hard to get some of these clips out, you too can add a vastly superior ambient lighting system than what will eventually come to the S. (i still need to do the doors/footwell lighting)

A bunch of us have figured out all the intricacies and best ways to run wires/tap power over here. If you want to do it feel free to browse it here:

Tesla just called and said my car will arrive earlier than expected, and I can move up my delivery. I moved it up to the 13th, but I'm now realizing that gives me fewer days to hear about the camera and ambient lights.... Well, I'm bringing my laser level to delivery and will be ready to reject if anything is off.

Bring some lacquer thinner and a microfiber towel and examine every edge carefully for touchup paint.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird