Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. My iPhone 15 Pro Max and my wife's iPhone 15 Pro - both with Apple OEM silicone cases - work just fine. Heck, I just got this Amazon thing because I'm so tired of how dirty/dusty the pad gets, and both phones still charge without issue.

That thing is AWESOME. Highly recommended.

If you have the sun streaming through the glass at the phones on the charging pad, it's still possible to get an overheating message, though.
Just received mine and tested it this morning. Seems to working well so far on my morning commute and my phone didn't seem to be too hot. I feel I have a thicker case as well and wireless charging still works great!

Looking for and FSD fan to give me some insight on the bumper camera. I use FSD every day and have enjoyed the journey since 2018. It's about time for me to upgrade my 3 to an S but there's no urgency. The FSD transfer got me and I pulled the trigger, but then the bumper camera noise started. Other than the FSD transfer there's no urgency to my order. Now that they've integrated that process into the app, I suspect it will surface again, but who knows.

So, I would really appreciate some insight from some of our more tech savvy members regarding the potential future relevance of this new camera if it actually comes. How relevant do you think it will be to the future execution of FSD? Even if it takes time to find it's way into code, what benefits do you think it will provide? Any thoughts however speculative are much appreciated! Thank you!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Looking for and FSD fan to give me some insight on the bumper camera. I use FSD every day and have enjoyed the journey since 2018. It's about time for me to upgrade my 3 to an S but there's no urgency. The FSD transfer got me and I pulled the trigger, but then the bumper camera noise started. Other than the FSD transfer there's no urgency to my order. Now that they've integrated that process into the app, I suspect it will surface again, but who knows.

So, I would really appreciate some insight from some of our more tech savvy members regarding the potential future relevance of this new camera if it actually comes. How relevant do you think it will be to the future execution of FSD? Even if it takes time to find it's way into code, what benefits do you think it will provide? Any thoughts however speculative are much appreciated! Thank you!
I don't think it will matter for FSD. It's only going to matter for things that are very low to the ground when parking that the regular cameras can't see. It's going to be really useful when you park the car to not hit bumper blocks because the front nose scrapes on everything. Without it I ended up having to back into every space to avoid scraping the front nose. It might also be a requirement for Auto Park and summon to work correctly.

Yup, very unlikely that it'll have any meaningful impact on FSD. It's going to be primarily for parking in close quarters. Sadly, not having a front bumper camera is a deal breaker for me, so I'm going to continue delaying/cancelling my MSP order until it's available (or just buy a different car if I get the itch). I live in suburbia and have to park in tight lots and spots all the time. Additionally, my home garage is a tiny 19x20 and I park 2 cars in there - the fit is extremely tight and I could use all the precision I can get.

I suspect there's an internal struggle at Tesla over the bumper camera. The biggest flaw missing it is that the windshield camera can't determine positioning of something that changed when the car was off...like the current car in front pulling out another taking it's place.

Maybe they figured out that if Sentry is on, they can keep the 3d map updated all the time without any more power consumption than Sentry already takes. If you turned Sentry off, it wouldn't be able to handle changes, but who's NOT going to keep Sentry on in a public parallel parking scenario?

Or maybe they figured out that a single center bumper camera isn't working as well as they like and they're going to wait for HW5 where they can plug in to cameras in front and low for stereoscopic positioning.....or perhaps HD radar, unlike regular radar, will be able to augment visual data giving you equivalent accuracy to USS.

Reactions: ck1891
Maybe they figured out that if Sentry is on, they can keep the 3d map updated all the time without any more power consumption than Sentry already takes. If you turned Sentry off, it wouldn't be able to handle changes, but who's NOT going to keep Sentry on in a public parallel parking scenario?
Maybe that is why they said they have been working on reducing Sentry mode power usage and will be releasing an update in the next month or two that reduces Sentry mode power usage by ~40%... (That might be enough to get me to leave it on at home as I wasn't willing to pay ~$250/year to keep it enabled, I might be willing to pay $150, but I doubt it.)

Reactions: sorka and ck1891
I suspect there's an internal struggle at Tesla over the bumper camera. The biggest flaw missing it is that the windshield camera can't determine positioning of something that changed when the car was off...like the current car in front pulling out another taking it's place.

Or maybe they figured out that a single center bumper camera isn't working as well as they like and they're going to wait for HW5 where they can plug in to cameras in front and low for stereoscopic positioning.....or perhaps HD radar, unlike regular radar, will be able to augment visual data giving you equivalent accuracy to USS.
I suspect you’re right. We know one thing. Elon is probably against it based on his “first principles” approach. Improvements in Vision park assist bear an inverse relationship to the likelihood of a front bumper camera. The cybertruck is not like the others due to its size and shape.

Reactions: shellac
Took my hold off yesterday and was instantly assigned a VIN. Looks like the same VIN I was given before, built end of February but whatever, ambient lights and bumper cam are fake news anyway.

Picking it up tomorrow, wish me luck.

I’m confident that as soon as I take delivery they will roll out the hardware upgrades so for whoever is waiting, you’re welcome.

Took my hold off yesterday and was instantly assigned a VIN. Looks like the same VIN I was given before, built end of February but whatever, ambient lights and bumper cam are fake news anyway.

I’m confident that as soon as I take delivery they will roll out the hardware upgrades so for whoever is waiting, you’re welcome.
Thanks for taking one for the team. LOL. j/k I hope your delivery goes well and the car is a beauty!

Reactions: rugar760

Thank you for your sacrifice. I'm up in Canada so hopefully my order shows up as late as possible which still keeping the FSD and FUSC transfer.

Teslascope is sticking to an imminent switch :

Thank you for your sacrifice. I'm up in Canada so hopefully my order shows up as late as possible which still keeping the FSD and FUSC transfer.

Teslascope is sticking to an imminent switch :
Unless they really have a lot of them, that doesn't really make sense. They could just move what they have left to the part supply chain for collision repair shops. (They only make ~75 Model S vehicles per day right?)

Would really, really recommend you put it off. Unless you can't, and even then, put it off!

I was also confident and gave previous examples of this having happened with my two previous Tesla purchases. Then I realized it took two months, not one for those previous examples to materialize new hardware features. So I'm pretty sure we're on track for April :p

Reactions: ragweedd
All this talk about Sentry mode is confusing me. I've had a Model S with FSD since 2018. The only time I have ever used Sentry Mode was when parked in a bad neighborhood where I think someone might mess with or steal the car. Does Sentry do something while driving? I thought it can only be enabled when parked? Am I missing out on some feature here? Or are you saying you turn on Sentry when pulling into your garage for more accurate tight space warnings and then turn it off before you leave the car? I mean it would be stupid to leave it on in your shut garage and waste electricity.

All this talk about Sentry mode is confusing me. I've had a Model S with FSD since 2018. The only time I have ever used Sentry Mode was when parked in a bad neighborhood where I think someone might mess with or steal the car. Does Sentry do something while driving? I thought it can only be enabled when parked? Am I missing out on some feature here?
You are right, Sentry Mode is only used in park (dash cam is used while driving). However, most people (including myself) have Sentry mode always enabled unless they are in a garage location with little to no activity around them. Thus, they have drain from Sentry mode constantly running the cameras, computers and saving videos when sentry is triggered. The news is that there is an efficiency update to Sentry mode to reduce the battery drain while.

Reactions: CraigE1965