Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect there's an internal struggle at Tesla over the bumper camera. The biggest flaw missing it is that the windshield camera can't determine positioning of something that changed when the car was off...like the current car in front pulling out another taking it's place.

Guess I don’t understand your point. If a car leaves and another takes it’s place your only option is reverse unless you planned on driving over that car?

• Disagree
Reactions: dsm363
Unless they really have a lot of them, that doesn't really make sense. They could just move what they have left to the part supply chain for collision repair shops. (They only make ~75 Model S vehicles per day right?)
For transparency, here's a conversation I've been having with an employee at Fremont who works in part supply.

1710282401522.png

I've been following this with them and another employee (who works on the debug line) for about three months, from the initial part order through delays and finally arriving at Fremont. Different part shipments are allocated for production (which is then utilized on the lines), and Tesla typically avoids storing too many of any one part at their service centers and/or sending it to collision repair shops.

An identical scenario happened last year with the transition to HW4 for Model S/X.

Around February 23rd, 2023, we began to report that Tesla had started producing vehicles with HW4 and the new cameras onboard. This news was a bit premature and equally received similar backlash that it was fabricated news. There *was* the infamous bad information from a delivery advisor who informed someone on February 20th that their vehicle included HW4, but this was corrected the same day.

Then, on March 5th, we finally began seeing deliveries with HW4 take place just weeks after the initial reporting.

For transparency, here's a conversation I've been having with an employee at Fremont who works in part supply.

View attachment 1027211

I've been following this with them and another employee (who works on the debug line) for about three months, from the initial part order through delays and finally arriving at Fremont. Different part shipments are allocated for production (which is then utilized on the lines), and Tesla typically avoids storing too many of any one part at their service centers and/or sending it to collision repair shops.

An identical scenario happened last year with the transition to HW4 for Model S/X.

Around February 23rd, 2023, we began to report that Tesla had started producing vehicles with HW4 and the new cameras onboard. This news was a bit premature and equally received similar backlash that it was fabricated news. There *was* the infamous bad information from a delivery advisor who informed someone on February 20th that their vehicle included HW4, but this was corrected the same day.

Then, on March 5th, we finally began seeing deliveries with HW4 take place just weeks after the initial reporting.
Any idea if all the updates will land at the same time or if we’re going to see some weird mixed builds? Like front camera but no ambient lighting?

Also why haven’t the other updates started? Suspension etc.

Btw I subscribed on X because I really enjoy getting the latest info.

View attachment 1027211

My current order hold expires on March 16th,
do i join the 250$ club if SA doesn't confirm those changes?

Reactions: de Vere
My current order hold expires on March 16th,
do i join the 250$ club if SA doesn't confirm those changes?
I just made a fresh order to improve my chances of getting the updates while maintaining the FSD and supercharging transfer. 250$ is pretty minor if that is a valuable feature for you.

Also I expect the retrofit to be unreasonably expensive based on needing a whole new fascia that you pray is reasonably color matched to your car.

I just made a fresh order to improve my chances of getting the updates while maintaining the FSD and supercharging transfer. 250$ is pretty minor if that is a valuable feature for you.

Also I expect the retrofit to be unreasonably expensive based on needing a whole new fascia that you pray is reasonably color matched to your car.
Almost certainly will not be a retrofit.

Reactions: boonedocks
That’s unfortunate. I got a VIN today for a Fremont Model SP. With my luck the front bumper camera announcement will come soon after I bring the car home. 😞
I mean I absolutely can be wrong, but Tesla has offered no retrofits for anything other than the steering yoke/steering wheel, and that's only I assume because it's a super simple switch and an easy money-maker for a short install process, especially when a bunch of these yokes are peeling.

Reactions: kobefan234
I mean I absolutely can be wrong, but Tesla has offered no retrofits for anything other than the steering yoke/steering wheel, and that's only I assume because it's a super simple switch and an easy money-maker for a short install process, especially when a bunch of these yokes are peeling.
I understand. Should I bring the topic up tomorrow when I pick up the car at the Tesla Fremont factory? I have a feeling they will just give me a generic corporate response.

I have no stake in this, but if it were me, I'd avoid the end of quarter rush and defects, and place an order in a month or so.
100% agreed. But Tesla is clearly trying to clear stock with the FSD transfer offer, and other freebies.
I understand. Should I bring the topic up tomorrow when I pick up the car at the Tesla Fremont factory? I have a feeling they will just give me a generic corporate response.
No point, if you ask me. You rolls the dice, you pays your money etc. But I'd wait if there's no special FSD incentive or whatever.

View attachment 1027211

Great news for new owners!