Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85D lower and lower range for 3 - years - WARRANTY ENDING SOON - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 85D pack started few months ago to have some new behavior on power limit, but also have noticed high consumption. Around 0 degrees celsius I am around or even higher than 280Wh/km or 450Wh/mi, definitely high. For me Tesla SC just checked the logs remotely and said all good. This are the cases hard to get them do the extra mile…

Reactions: P85D-low-range
Still no resolution, and battery warranty runs out in a few months.
I'm getting 100-120 miles per charge. Charging at a supercharger also takes about 1h 45 min from 20% to 95%
Look, you need to step up your game if you want a replacement battery under warranty.

Get the apps listed/recommended by others and PRESENT THE DATA to Tesla, preferably just a week or so before your warranty runs out. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT as it creates a record that your repeatedly reported a battery problem, WITH DATA TO SUBSTANTIATE, WHILE UNDER WARRANTY.

That will get you some extra coverage should the battery fail after the warranty expires because the problem existed while you were under the battery warranty--it's not your fault that Tesla didn't address then/now.

Or, just get ready to blow $22k+ for a post-warranty battery replacement.

It's up to you how this plays out . . . .

Please keep us posted.

Look, you need to step up your game if you want a replacement battery under warranty.

Get the apps listed/recommended by others and PRESENT THE DATA to Tesla, preferably just a week or so before your warranty runs out. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT as it creates a record that your repeatedly reported a battery problem, WITH DATA TO SUBSTANTIATE, WHILE UNDER WARRANTY.

That will get you some extra coverage should the battery fail after the warranty expires because the problem existed while you were under the battery warranty--it's not your fault that Tesla didn't address then/now.

Or, just get ready to blow $22k+ for a post-warranty battery replacement.

It's up to you how this plays out . . . .

Please keep us posted.
If OP had any symptoms of a failing battery, this might possibly work.

But they don’t.

Reactions: Rocky_H
OP keeps stating the same thing over and over again. There’s something definitely wrong with consumption OR max kW added when charging. 100miles on a full charge is indeed atrocious, but does not equate to 415WHr/mi. It’d be much higher. We need to see more data. Show the charge stats pic from the app. Show the energy graph. Show the “Miles since last charge” trip data.
Then perhaps we can help you further.

Last April SC told me my pack and motor were bad. I ignored them. In October I changed motor oil. Sent sample to lab. No water, zero. But had silicon. So was in SC last week. Manager mentioned the ticket. I told him it was bs. I'd been 3000 miles and six months with no problems. He was shocked. In my opinion, after reading so many post here, getting real, truthful advice and help from SC seems to be impossible. My SC is swamped, takes month to get appointment at minimum. I hope it gets better .

Reactions: aerodyne
my car says 235 mi at 100% and i can drive 120 miles with 70% (start at 90% arrive at 20%) my wh/mi for this trip is usually IVO 340 because i'm doing about 80 mph and its not flat and there is more up than down hills. I always consider this to be acceptable as its taken the same 70% for the last 4 years to make the exact same trip, sometimes its higher because there is a massive headwind (****ing desert winds are intense), but i would call my experience within spec.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Last April SC told me my pack and motor were bad. I ignored them. In October I changed motor oil. Sent sample to lab. No water, zero. But had silicon. So was in SC last week. Manager mentioned the ticket. I told him it was bs. I'd been 3000 miles and six months with no problems. He was shocked. In my opinion, after reading so many post here, getting real, truthful advice and help from SC seems to be impossible. My SC is swamped, takes month to get appointment at minimum. I hope it gets better .
Did you check your speed sensor? I haven’t heard of anyone with water in their gearbox. The coolant usually damages the stator and inverter. This can take a long time. I’ve driven at least 10 months with a small coolant leak (it did not travel to the stator yet). It will eventually deteriorate the insulation of the stator and corrode the inverter (which makes it harder or impossible to rebuild).

my car says 235 mi at 100% and i can drive 120 miles with 70% (start at 90% arrive at 20%) my wh/mi for this trip is usually IVO 340 because i'm doing about 80 mph and its not flat and there is more up than down hills. I always consider this to be acceptable as its taken the same 70% for the last 4 years to make the exact same trip, sometimes its higher because there is a massive headwind (****ing desert winds are intense), but i would call my experience within spec.
Data point on consumption for my 85D.

There is a spot on 1-80 in Nebraska that is flat as Florida.

100 miles both ways, different days, mid 70's, no climate.

333 wh/ mi at 80 mph.

Motor oil? Is this a joke?

Motor oil? Is this a joke?
are you a joke? oil is required for the car to operate and should be changed around 75k to 100k miles similar to a diff in a ICE vehicle. there is no such thing as lifetime oil as tesla would like to claim, that stuff breaks down over time and needs replacing.

are you a joke? oil is required for the car to operate and should be changed around 75k to 100k miles similar to a diff in a ICE vehicle. there is no such thing as lifetime oil as tesla would like to claim, that stuff breaks down over time and needs replacing.

Ancedotal info.

Lauren the '02 Lexus went 220k before I replaced the tranny fluid since there was no replacement interval specified. A little dark, but no signs of making metal. Still runs with no problems.

In @Airborne's defense, As they say in aviation, "oil is cheap" compared to a new engine or gearbox

Reactions: wornout
To follow up, my car is at Tesla service for range issues - they have had it for over 2 weeks already. Service shows they have 'ordered parts' but I'm not sure what or why, and they aren't open again until Monday.

But per suggestions here, I tried software to gather more detailed info.

Here are my results - does this seem expected to you guys? Range 122 mi?

Source - input my car API keys into: Tesla battery capacity
  • Range : 122.65677642822 miles
  • Current state of charge : 55 %
  • Energy added last charge: 48.929935455322 kwh
  • Range added last charge: 158 miles
  • Calculated efficiency: 309 wh/m (Energy added/Range added)
  • Calculated Battery Capacity: 68.91 kwh (range x efficiency / state of charge
  • Calculated Max Range: 223 miles (range / state of charge)
  • Car identifies as: models - p85d - Base19 with Default efficiency profile

Results explained

We have calculated your rated efficiency as 309 wh/m based on the "rated miles added / energy added" during your last charge. The longer the last charge, the more accurate this is likely to be. If you have low values then the charge was likely to have been so brief the results will be inaccuate due to rounding etc.

Based on this figure, the usable battery capacity 68.91 kwh after 69,xxx miles and calculated from the "available rated range * rated efficiency / state of charge"

Average for similar cars 73.98 kwh (taken from matching the model, trim, wheel size and efficiency profile reported by multiple cars)

Do you guys recommend any other software for data collection other than the above?
It's bizarre that the above SoC says 55% from that API when the car is showing 95% now, so I'm not sure how reliable that page's info is! (Tesla battery capacity)

Tesla service has had the car plugged in for over a day - even though it sat for 10+ days with them doing nothing and adding no miles.
It still says it's charging after 36 hours. They must have set the trip limit to 100%,
because it goes up to 97%, then slowly back down to 92%, then back up to 97%, and so on. Right now it's at 95% from the app view, and oscillating up and down (I took screenshots from the app showing this, and have seen it in the car itself).

When I charge to 100% at home (I usually don't ever, but Tesla service told me to), it will stay at 97% and never get higher, then go to 96% as soon as I pull it off.

Is it normal for it to stay charging for over a day, and never hit 100%, while oscillating between 93-97% up and down repeatedly?

Also another problem (maybe related?):
- The drive unit makes loud / new noises during acceleration at low speed.

I've also logged the miles, kWh used, and kWh added in each charge for the last month, into a spreadsheet.

Interesting finding -
The kWh added never matches that used.

Eg, if I start at 90%, drive to 20%, and recharge back to 90%, the car will say:
47.1 kWh used
but to get back to 90%, when I charge it, the car will SAY it added 61 kWh.
But same on the next trip, I can never use 61 kWh on the trip, it says I use less, then takes more to get charged back to the exact same % battery level.

Is that concerning, and what might that indicate? Thank you guys for all of your support in this matter.

I've also logged the miles, kWh used, and kWh added in each charge for the last month, into a spreadsheet.

Interesting finding -
The kWh added never matches that used.

Eg, if I start at 90%, drive to 20%, and recharge back to 90%, the car will say:
47.1 kWh used
but to get back to 90%, when I charge it, the car will SAY it added 61 kWh.
But same on the next trip, I can never use 61 kWh on the trip, it says I use less, then takes more to get charged back to the exact same % battery level.

Is that concerning, and what might that indicate? Thank you guys for all of your support in this matter.
Is this happening in a single ling drive from 90% to 20% or between multiple drives? Mine has a similar behavior if I have multiple drives, but able to drain the added amount if I take it on a single long drive. My guess is that at every stop some pumps are still running and decrease the available capacity.

Do you guys recommend any other software for data collection other than the above?
It's bizarre that the above SoC says 55% from that API when the car is showing 95% now, so I'm not sure how reliable that page's info is! (Tesla battery capacity)

Tesla service has had the car plugged in for over a day - even though it sat for 10+ days with them doing nothing and adding no miles.
It still says it's charging after 36 hours. They must have set the trip limit to 100%,
because it goes up to 97%, then slowly back down to 92%, then back up to 97%, and so on. Right now it's at 95% from the app view, and oscillating up and down (I took screenshots from the app showing this, and have seen it in the car itself).

When I charge to 100% at home (I usually don't ever, but Tesla service told me to), it will stay at 97% and never get higher, then go to 96% as soon as I pull it off.

Is it normal for it to stay charging for over a day, and never hit 100%, while oscillating between 93-97% up and down repeatedly?

Also another problem (maybe related?):
- The drive unit makes loud / new noises during acceleration at low speed.

It's not something that most folks do, but at that high SoC, likely the BMS is trying to balance the pack. As the healthy strings are bled down, this uses energy. The charge cycle typically come on as you drop a few percent below charge setting.

Teslafi is a good source for pack health data. SMT will show you the parameters of all the strings and modules.

Is this happening in a single ling drive from 90% to 20% or between multiple drives? Mine has a similar behavior if I have multiple drives, but able to drain the added amount if I take it on a single long drive. My guess is that at every stop some pumps are still running and decrease the available capacity.
With an 85 pack, all 4 pumps run at 100% over 78% SoC, and the car won't sleep.