Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buttons on a steering wheel would possibly make trying to signal in the middle of a turn or a roundabout more unwieldy, too. Like I’ve said before, I need to really test this out to see if I can live with it. For now, leaning no, but open to being proven wrong via a test drive.

I sure hope it's like 0.5 turns lock-to-lock with the yoke. I can't imagine trying to hand over hand that thing for a tight turn...

Buttons on a steering wheel would possibly make trying to signal in the middle of a turn or a roundabout more unwieldy, too. Like I’ve said before, I need to really test this out to see if I can live with it. For now, leaning no, but open to being proven wrong via a test drive.

Appear to be capacitive buttons, no less. This almost seems too out there to be real, but production and delivery appear to be upon us. Weird.

I sure hope it's like 0.5 turns lock-to-lock with the yoke. I can't imagine trying to hand over hand that thing for a tight turn...
That would make sense, I guess, but would need retraining steering muscle memory, I would think. Hmmmmm, not really sure how well thought out this is.

edit - if it isn’t 0.5 turn to lock, that could be trouble for me. Thinking about it, when I drive after a lot of turns, I loosen my grip and let the steering wheel slide between my fingers. That muscle memory could be disastrous with this style steering wheel.

Last edited:
Capacitive? So accidentally brushing across a button could activate signals/wipes? That could be annoying as hell.

I guess they could be physically clickable if that cover is flexible enough, but some of them look awfully close together.

upload_2021-1-27_17-17-4.png

edit - maybe a better picture:

upload_2021-1-27_17-28-44.png

Last edited:

Michael Knight managed to make this work—maybe I’ll have to go back and watch a couple of episodes to see how he did it! And, yes, I know, I just dated myself...

Here is a quick summary of the interior changes... Tesla unveils new Model S with new interior, crazy steering wheel, and more (electrek.co)

Audio and Media
  • Premium 22-speaker audio with active noise cancelling
  • Multi-device music and media over Bluetooth®
  • 17” center display, 12.3” driver’s display, and 8” second row display
  • Gaming computer with 10 teraflops of processing power
  • Wireless controller compatibility
Comfort
  • Heated seats for every passenger, heated steering and heated windshield
  • Ventilated front seating
  • Tri-zone Airwave cabin conditioning
  • HEPA air filtration system
  • Custom driver profiles with automatic easy-entry and exit
  • Ambient lighting
  • Tinted glass roof
  • Ultraviolet and infrared protection on all glass
Convenience
  • Front center console with sliding cup holders and storage
  • Second row stowable center armrest with integrated storage and wireless charging
  • Automatic opening and closing rear liftgate
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • 28 ft³ of cargo space and secure front trunk
  • Wireless and USB-C fast charging for every passenger
  • Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • Phone Key
Premium Connectivity, 1 year complimentary
  • Live traffic visualization
  • Satellite-View Maps
  • Video Streaming with access to Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Twitch, and more
  • Caraoke
  • Music Streaming
  • Internet Browser
    *New features that become available after delivery may be subject to additional charges.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
You think? I had the opposite reaction. The removal of the chrome grates tones the whole thing down to my eye.

While I like the interior (especially the rear screen and keeping the two screens up front) the exterior update is not a visual improvement. The overall shape now looks more bulbous because of the nose. Maybe it looks better in person or in a different color, but the contours of the front bumper are a step backwards in visual appeal — too 3-ish.

While I like the interior (especially the rear screen and keeping the two screens up front) the exterior update is not a visual improvement. The overall shape now looks more bulbous because of the nose. Maybe it looks better in person or in a different color, but the contours of the front bumper are a step backwards in visual appeal — too 3-ish.

To each their own I guess... I think the new front looks great. A solid evolution of the design.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.38.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.40.01 PM.png

I discussed this with the Tesla rep when I made my reservation in early December. He told me that reserving then would protect me from 'any price increase if there is a refresh'. In fact that was a selling point. I mentioned it here in the forums at the time. Looks like he saved me $11k.

I ordered in early January (one X and one S). Rep called me before 5p and said price is locked in at the ordered price for both vehicles.

To each their own I guess... I think the new front looks great. A solid evolution of the design.

View attachment 631345 View attachment 631346

From the front and in shadows, yes, I would agree. But from the side or quarter angle...not so much. I think the Model 3 looks good for its proportions, but from certain angles the new S looks like they took the 3 and pulled it longer. The new nose doesn’t do the X an favors either. But hey, it’s on the inside that counts. Still don’t like that nose job.

I can’t fault the designer too much though. The previous S looks so good on the outside that it’s hard to improve upon and maintain that beauty. Like trying to make a supermodel better looking.

Anyone else notice the door pockets?

I did not.

But I did notice that my LR got 0.5 seconds faster 0-60 and a glass roof like the Lucid Air.

If the Premium Connectivity Package gets Animal Planet (K9 Cops) my German Shepherd will love the rear screen. She gets so excited when a call comes in and its time to chase down a perp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.