Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the 4680s and castings are supposed to DECREASE production costs. I can see them blunting price hikes some, but not accelerating them.
Some here would prob pay $10k extra for 4680s if they did 25 percent of what the hype machine wishes. But....The general public doesn’t know or care where the cars are built or what batteries are in them.
You essentially made my point though... they know damn well that people want the 4680 and new casting, regardless of their tangible benefit. Looking at it on a macro level, when the "new" Honda Civic comes out, it's never cheaper than the outgoing model was, because new.

I have to wonder how much of this lower range AWD version was planned. Tesla took a ton of bad press during the earnings call for announceing no new models but they could have easially announced a lower cost varient at that time. Was this a reaction to that or something really planned.
Like Firocity said, this may be that the first version of 4680 are not up to what they were supposed to. There was delays compare to what was annouced at battery day and maybe they had to downplay it to get good yield. I don't know if what I say is making any sense, but maybe they are making less efficient batteries but working, just not as good as they though they would be. Again, I hope I'm wrong on this :(

Also, not sure if it has been said before, but the new submission to EPA on 2/22 uses the same car (same car ID on page 15) as the submission done on 2/1. So there is no new car coming from EPA anytime soon. Probably only minor adjustment done on the same car. So it looks like there won't be any LR or performance MY coming out of Austin anytime soon.

You essentially made my point though... they know damn well that people want the 4680 and new casting, regardless of their tangible benefit. Looking at it on a macro level, when the "new" Honda Civic comes out, it's never cheaper than the outgoing model was, because new.
I was a Honda guy. There were two different occasions when I needed a new car, looked at the new models and said, no, this is bland crap, and bought something else. People will pay more for something substantively better. 280 mile range, 25 lbs less? Nope.

Many of us have already seen that..... the discussion is the increasingly likely scenario is that is the only Austin model that was submitted for certification. Battery math is what the folks here smarter than me (everyone basically) have been puzzling through. If it is 4680 would def indicate Tesla is planning to take baby steps with those batteries for many many months and that they may not be better, at least initially, for end users.

No worries about the SR+ low achiever. Tesla can send that thing to the previously planned 2/3 population on the east side. :)

But seriously, just because no one has seen EPA documents mentioning a new Austin MYLR doesn't mean Austin isn't building it.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
TLDR: If you've been holding/delaying your LR or P order in hopes of an Austin build, you just waited for nothing (I'm speaking to myself here as well).
That could not be put more clearly or elegantly.
The problem at this point is starting to be just getting ANY version. Couple more price hikes and another extension of EDD -- which has already essentially been pushed out six months from OD for me..... and I will start worrying that Tesla will be forced by rising costs to pull a BS Rivian move on us and figure out some loophole in the order agreements and tell us it’s going to cost another $10k or get booted.

Last edited:
Reactions: blinkme323
The problem at this point is starting be just getting ANY version. Couple more price hikes and another extension of EDD -- which has already essentially been pushed out six months from OD for me..... and I will start worrying that Tesla will be forced buy rising costs to pull a BS Rivian move on us and figure out some loophole in the order agreements and tell us it’s going to cost another $10k or get booted.
I worry about this as well. Hoping to take delivery on MYLR anytime (4680 or not) that I have locked in at almost 9k below the current starting price. Unfortunately EDD in June/july

Reactions: cusetownusa
Keep waiting, it still may happen. Keep those holds, at least until I take delivery. Don’t want anything to push me back any further
Yes, absolutely. Any of you who can, especially those with blue/black and gemini wheels!!!! Hold, delay, go down to local sales center and threaten everyone in sight with violence.... key “NEVER!” into the paint of all those Fremont cars.... and if none of that works, just walk away from your order. The front casting ALONE is worth a stand to the death.

The problem at this point is starting to be just getting ANY version. Couple more price hikes and another extension of EDD -- which has already essentially been pushed out six months from OD for me..... and I will start worrying that Tesla will be forced by rising costs to pull a BS Rivian move on us and figure out some loophole in the order agreements and tell us it’s going to cost another $10k or get booted.

Let the Price hikes keep coming....

I don't normally resell my cars (ever) but the only thing these hikes are going to do is make me want to trade this in for something new in 3-4 years (providing the economy starts to recover ). Took a year to increase 14k , I expect it will take 3 more for them to drop below ( soner if solid state shows its head)

I agree it's only $250 at 70,000 I expect what Elon promised from Austin or I walk or wait as I love the product and the potential of the 4680.
You are getting what he said (different than a promise in my book), a 4680 model y. Didn’t say long range or performance or anything relating to range. You can assume what you want but don’t expect Tesla to deliver on assumptions.

Sorry, my mistake 🤦🏻‍♂️ What do you think is going on ? Does Tesla (Texas Factory) have to submit a MY with the 4680 battery set up to the EPA for approval ? Or do you think this MY AWD was it ? 🤔
And why the secrecy behind it? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Secrecy? It’s called business. The cars arent ready to sell yet. When they are, we will know. If they announced in December that they were releasing a 280 mile MY in March, there would have been outrage. And more outrage if they didn’t meet the timeline. Look at Berlin. They will keep this as close to the vest as possible. When things are finalized, they will let us know. Probably through someone posting an email they received offering it to them instead of a current LR order.