Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having trouble even understand what this feature is supposed to do. Max speed mode is whatever you set cruise control to. Happens to be min speed mode too. With TACC, it will slow down for traffic, yes? So again, max speed mode is whatever you set cruise control to, and min is based on traffic. I don't really understand what more a "max speed mode" would do.

Based on the OP's description:
(1) It's an Unadaptive Cruise Control system where Set and Resume set the cruise speed, but don't maintain that speed.
(2) It has additional accelerator resistance to discourage you from going above the cruising speed

Based on the OP's description:
(1) It's an Unadaptive Cruise Control system where Set and Resume set the cruise speed, but don't maintain that speed.
(2) It has additional accelerator resistance to discourage you from going above the cruising speed
OP should have just asked about speed limiter. It is a different function. Not to be confused or compared with cruise control of any type. When it is on, you still drive with accelerator and brake. It just stops you from exceeding the set speed. Heres an example of use. I frequently drive a patrolled 4 mile stretch with a 25 mph speed limit. Try driving 25. You can't. So you set the limited to 25 and it protects you from yourself.

OP should have just asked about speed limiter. It is a different function. Not to be confused or compared with cruise control of any type. When it is on, you still drive with accelerator and brake. It just stops you from exceeding the set speed. Heres an example of use. I frequently drive a patrolled 4 mile stretch with a 25 mph speed limit. Try driving 25. You can't. So you set the limited to 25 and it protects you from yourself.

Except that he was referring to a combination of cruise control and speed limiter where there is an easy way to enable cruise control at the preset speed limiter value. Only in cars that have a speed limiter would that make sense, but it really is a cruise control feature. Otherwise you do need to accelerate manually and watch the speed until you get to the speed limit and then engage the cruise control.

That’s why I use the TACC in school zones. The enforcement fines are very high. TACC even follows the stop and go every morning.

• Informative
Reactions: davedavedave
Except that he was referring to a combination of cruise control and speed limiter where there is an easy way to enable cruise control at the preset speed limiter value. Only in cars that have a speed limiter would that make sense, but it really is a cruise control feature. Otherwise you do need to accelerate manually and watch the speed until you get to the speed limit and then engage the cruise control.
Ok I reread the original post and I can't tell WTH the OP was talking abouto_O. Having had a car with speed limiter function I can only say what mine did.

Interesting collection of speed control features for various cars that most of us haven't had the opportunity to discover for ourselves. For example that TACC can take you thru a series of 25 mph zones without a reset is good information.

Econo Cruise - My rant about the lack of this feature was admittedly only based on my '01 Malibu and my '12 Subaru Forester (non-turbo) both operating between 6000 and 10k feet above sea level, yes, an absurd proposition, but an Econo Cruise option would be quite useful under these conditions. This might be something Tesla could offer as a screen menu option to take the edge off 'throttle response' from any control source.
--

Reactions: DR61
Not in our Teslas. If we quickly push the stalk up or down, it sets current speed. If we quickly pull the stalk towards the driver, it sets it to the speed limit plus the offset. I've never needed to hold the stalk to set the offset cruise speed. If I am entering a highway that is 65 mph, I can be at 50 mph, quickly pull the stalk and it will set the speed to 70 mph (65 mph + 5 offset). If I enter my neighborhood with a speed of 25 mph, I don't want the offset so I push it up or down quickly and it sets it to the current speed. This is with AP2 hardware on both Teslas. We previously had an AP1 Model S and it worked the same way IIRC.

If you haven't been in cruise recently, it works as you describe. If you have been it remembers what it was set to before and keeps that when re-engaged by a quick pull unless it sees a new speed limit sign while disengaged, or you're going faster than that set speed (goes to your current speed if you're above the offset.)

What the pull and hold for a second does is snap to the speed limit plus offset - whether you're in cruise or not, no matter what the speed setting was, after holding for a second you'll be in TACC or AP and set to limit plus offset.

Some context for non Europeans: Europeans are fond of the speed limiter because Europe is full of automated radars that will fine you if you go over the speed limit by 5 percent.

This is why Europeans always get confused when they find out that the feature is not available.

Way to go for Europeans is TACC with max limit, something I believe the model 3 supports but I could be mistaken. Furthermore TACC is not just a convenience feature but a major security feature. It will apply the brakes far faster than any human will.

• Informative
Interesting collection of speed control features for various cars that most of us haven't had the opportunity to discover for ourselves. For example that TACC can take you thru a series of 25 mph zones without a reset is good information.

Econo Cruise - My rant about the lack of this feature was admittedly only based on my '01 Malibu and my '12 Subaru Forester (non-turbo) both operating between 6000 and 10k feet above sea level, yes, an absurd proposition, but an Econo Cruise option would be quite useful under these conditions. This might be something Tesla could offer as a screen menu option to take the edge off 'throttle response' from any control source.
--

Except your annoyance doesn't really translate well to a Tesla. It doesn't down shift, it doesn't roar the engines. It quietly and smoothly maintains the current speed without any effort whatsoever. It doesn't really matter that you're going up a hill.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
OP appears to be looking for something more along the speed limit chime option. But tied to pedal operation.

Not something I have ever experienced in US cars. So it’s hard for us to picture.

I use TACC (ACC by other vendors) all the time. But I can perhaps see a benefit of what OP is asking for in hilly terrain. Given it’s in European cars, many must appreciate it :)

Op - there is an option to make the car chime at a preset speed. Either absolute or an offset from the speed limit.

Having the car beep at me is really not what I want. Beeping is super annoying.

TACC... so complicated TACC in the rain | Tesla

Perhaps this will help explain why I like it. On my route into town there's a long stretch with a limit of 60km/h. I set the limiter to 70, which means I don't get fines. There are lots of traffic lights and sometimes slow drivers. For the entire stretch of road I never look at the speed I am going, I just drive according to the lights and the other drivers. I don't ever have to take my eyes off the road to see how fast the car is going and I don't have to cancel any cruise control, reenable it, adjust it up and down with my thumb etc etc. I just drive with the pedals and don't worry about a thing. When I enter the 50 zone I set the limiter to 58 etc. When the light turns green I floor the pedal and it zooms up to the limit with the acceleration I like. I'm still in control, and I don't have to defer to the acceleration that some cruise control deems adequate.

When I use cruise control instead, I'm always tempted to drive too close to slower cars ahead of me if it avoids the hassle of disengaging and reengaging the cruise control.

Perhaps one day autopilot and machine reading of road signs will be so awesome and cheap that I'll use that instead. In the mean time the limiter feature is totally trivial for any car that already has cruise control.

Perhaps the problem for Tesla is that the accelerator doesn't have a lower part of its travel with a more powerful spring, so there's no easy way to override the limit. That's not a software issue, but it's a $1 spring that's not there?

> Except your annoyance doesn't really translate well to a Tesla. It doesn't down shift, it doesn't roar the engines. It quietly and smoothly maintains the current speed without any effort whatsoever. It doesn't really matter that you're going up a hill.

Actually it does if you go beyond the comparative simplicity of the Tesla Driving Experience that you describe. Sure it is a refreshing departure from the default ICE but it is still 'just too much' when you approach steeper than normal inclines. It is a bit of a nuisance to have to (yet once again) turn off CC due to its being based solely on road speed; if it offered an adjustable option to blend in Power Level as a basis of operation all users would be pleased since they now could complete their commute seamlessly. They could in fact have a car that more precisely mimicked their own style of driving. The scale could be graduated from 90% to 50% (to give an idea of what it might do for the driver).

Time after time we hear "turn off CC since it wastes energy". This Econo Cruise option should be simple enough to implement and would save energy.
--

> Except your annoyance doesn't really translate well to a Tesla. It doesn't down shift, it doesn't roar the engines. It quietly and smoothly maintains the current speed without any effort whatsoever. It doesn't really matter that you're going up a hill.

Actually it does if you go beyond the comparative simplicity of the Tesla Driving Experience that you describe. Sure it is a refreshing departure from the default ICE but it is still 'just too much' when you approach steeper than normal inclines. It is a bit of a nuisance to have to (yet once again) turn off CC due to its being based solely on road speed; if it offered an adjustable option to blend in Power Level as a basis of operation all users would be pleased since they now could complete their commute seamlessly. They could in fact have a car that more precisely mimicked their own style of driving. The scale could be graduated from 90% to 50% (to give an idea of what it might do for the driver).

Time after time we hear "turn off CC since it wastes energy". This Econo Cruise option should be simple enough to implement and would save energy.
--

Not much energy. Hypermilers might turn off cruise control, but it doesn't make nearly the difference in efficiency that it does in an ICE.

Some context for non Europeans: Europeans are fond of the speed limiter because Europe is full of automated radars that will fine you if you go over the speed limit by 5 percent.

This is why Europeans always get confused when they find out that the feature is not available.

Way to go for Europeans is TACC with max limit, something I believe the model 3 supports but I could be mistaken. Furthermore TACC is not just a convenience feature but a major security feature. It will apply the brakes far faster than any human will.
2024 and it's still not. It even speeds up going into a roundabout as the car in front of leaves it. Also at turns: tacc is on set to 50kph, car in front of me turns right and i want to follow so i put on turn signal but as soon as the car in front of me clears the road (turned) my tesla is speeding up to reach 50... it's even dangerous.

So driving a 2024 tesla is mich more tiring tha driving my 2020 toyota.

Almost every car in Europe has this simple limiter feature which is very very useful on daily city/village commute.