Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Furthermore, you seem hilariously confident GMs system is going to immediately best Tesla's... Right now it's just vaporware like every thing else that's supposedly going to kill Tesla...

Super Cruise was in operational road testing in 2012.

Self-Driving Car in Cadillac’s Future

You should be slamming on them for taking so long, not how they are going to "immediately best Tesla".

I've been thinking for a while that the Bolt shold've been a Caddillac sedan / crossover instead. Seeing this makes me sad, they could've had a solid Model S / 3 competitor (minus DC charging infrastructure) instead of the UberLeaf.

I guess that's "Coming in 2020" just like everyone else

Last edited:
Super Cruise was in operational road testing in 2012.

Self-Driving Car in Cadillac’s Future

You should be slamming on them for taking so long, not how they are going to "immediately best Tesla".

Why because they have seemingly fully tested and refined their product before selling it, unlike AP2?

I might buy one if it actually works. By the time it's out AP2 might actually be working though.

This isn't tesla that releases pre-alpha in-development software. There won't be early issues and concerns.
second of all, AP2 has big problems that it has to overcome. You would hope freeway driving would be flawless by fall but don't hold your breathe cause all signs point to the actual EAP features being even more hands on than hands free. I mean AP2 still can't recognize trucks and vans, breaking for overhead signs and bridges and taking curves too fast.

if super cruise can work as advertised, it would destroy AP.
If things work as advertised, Tesla can already drive point to point, let you out, and park. Even GM's ad is three years behind Tesla's.

Reactions: Carspotter Daily
The CT6 comes with a driver-facing camera attached to the top of the steering column using infrared light to track head position and determine whether the driver is paying attention. If the driver attention wanders, Super Cruise uses an escalating series of alerts to ensure the driver keeps his or her eyes on the road... A “steering wheel light bar,” “visual indicators in the instrument cluster,” audible alerts like chiming or beeping, and “tactile alerts in Cadillac’s Safety Alert Seat...” if the driver remains unresponsive — or is incapacitated by a heart attack — then Super Cruise can actually bring the car to a controlled stop, while OnStar (GM’s driver assist system) contacts the authorities to send help, if need be.​

Sounds superior to Tesla's system already. Neither AP1 nor AP2 pulls the car over safely in the case of incapacitation even though Musk declared this to be a feature over 2 years ago - never came to be. The alerts are also much more robust, the seat vibration alerts being necessary for deaf drivers - a suggestion I made to Musk over a year ago, but nothing. I'm betting the GM technology was throughly tested and will "just work" while Tesla figures out which end is up.

This is much needed competition and I can't wait for Consumer Reports or other testing authority to give Tesla the reality check it needs with regards to its lame AP2 that has been panned by the majority of Model S owners.

And yet.... GM needs university students to help them develop self-driving technology... I suppose their design team is too stodgy?

“GM is counting on these young ones to nail all the really hard stuff....savvy young researchers and engineers could dream up solutions that stodgy corporate brain trusts might miss."

Hmm, "savvy young researchers and engineers", sounds a bit like Tesla.

GM Launches University Self-Driving Chevy Bolt EV Competition

And yet.... GM needs university students to help them develop self-driving technology... I suppose their design team is too stodgy?

“GM is counting on these young ones to nail all the really hard stuff....savvy young researchers and engineers could dream up solutions that stodgy corporate brain trusts might miss."

Hmm, "savvy young researchers and engineers", sounds a bit like Tesla.

GM Launches University Self-Driving Chevy Bolt EV Competition

no, more like gm's cruise automation.

Cruise Automation

anyway, super cruise could be a testbed of them launching a L3 highway aswell next year and really put tesla's feet to the fire.

audi is also CLAIMING (big capital letters) that the 2018 audi A8 will be L3 under 35mph.

Last edited:
Better yet, the manufacture does care and there are never any software improvements, so there is no hope for my car getting better in the future.
That may not be such a bad thing, as it means they need to ship something that actually works, rather than a promise of grand features without any committed dates. If something doesn't work, you can bring it back to get it fixed while under warranty, or lemon the car. Those who got FSD today are unlikely to be under warranty by the time (and if) it gets here. I actually offered to pay for FSD if Tesla would extend their warranty at least 6 months after FSD is fully functional, big surprise, a big "no can do" on that one, so didn't buy it. Tesla is using OTA as an excuse for so shipping unfinished products. We picked up a brand new MS, mirror won't fold out. Answer "software update coming to fix it". Huh? Seriously? Delivering cars with missing software for such basic things?!? Software update never fixed it, a new mirror was required, twice so far, but that's a different topic. The only saving grace is that Tesla service is stellar and covers up for manufacturing blunders by fixing them.

Last edited:
This isn't tesla that releases pre-alpha in-development software. There won't be early issues and concerns.

Yes, certainly GM has never had to announce recalls...

Every single vehicle company shipping AP type hardware is considered beta software according to Tesla's definition of the term. The independent tests of these systems has differentiated the systems by which screwed up less...and there is a reason for that.

Doesn't matter to me if it drives itself to the beer store and brings me back a case. It uses gas.

Plus it's a GM so that's another negative ;)

I love my X 90D because it's fast, has autopilot(dives for exit ramps though), it's electric plus it draws attention, oh yeah the windshield is really nice. That said, anyone in their right mind knows that Tesla is way behind virtually any mainstream auto manufacturer in build quality, warranty follow through, lack of loaner cars, overall value, door operation....well did I say my car is fast. How can you bash GM? Cadillac builds some incredible interiors, has really nice panel alignment, the doors work properly....all the time without fail, that's not much to ask! So how is being a GM a negative? It never fails to amaze me how even a 80's GM, Ford or Chrysler had better fitting body panels and doors. I could see if a M3 had poor fit and finish for their price but on $125k S or X Tesla should be embarrassed. In full disclosure I do have two more Teslas reserved Model 3's, on day one

Last edited: