Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nags are more frequent in V 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about v10, but mine has gone nuts now after upgrading from 2019.32 to 2019.32.2.1. It's has gone berserk on me twice now. Once with a friend in the car (for the first time) and just a few seconds after enabling AP it started screeching the AP alarm and shut down AP and I think it flashed a red steering wheel across the screen while my hand was on the wheel. With my car (HW3) resting your hand on the wheel in any way does not satisfy it, you have to keep making steering inputs small enough to not trip the auto-steering off. It happened again on my way home while completely stopped at a light while stopped behind other cars. I've never seen it prompt me when the car was sitting at a light and not moving and didn't see it this time, but it suddenly started screeching the AP alarm at me and this time also turned on my hazards lights and put the car into park too! Not fun!
There's something wrong with your car. Contact Tesla.

Was bound to happen. Folks that do not know any better or wilfully ignore recommended usage make things worse for everyone else. I hold the wheel at all times, and still get some nags now (used to never happen to me). This will be fun.
Am amazed it took so long to get to this point. Elon must be really good at keeping lawyers at bay.

Hold the wheel. With. Your. Hands. People.

Nags are now coming every 10 seconds instead of 30.

You do not have Version 10. No one does. At best you have a pre-release version that contains a few of the version 10 features.
Not saying that your struggle isn't real. Just don't claim you have something that you do not have. Instead, if you are beta testing this early release version and you feel this is an issue, report it to Tesla so that maybe someone will do something about it.

Who the heck is complaining that we need more nags?? I have to fight to get the thing to not nag me when driving and often when I try to shake it to stop the nag it just throws it's hands up and disables autopilot. 2019.32.2.1 has been pretty good on my M3 w AP3 compared to previous releases, but I think we could use a less nags than this build.

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW and Pkmmte
EAP members SHOULD adhere to the NDA. Telling someone that you are in the EAP doesn't violate the NDA. Only disclosing information about the software or pictures of it to the general public is a direct violation.

That's not true at all. I have seen the NDA that early accessors have.

Does anyone have a pic of the language of the NDA?

When I first got AP, I tried to drive hands free with tugs now and then. Impossible and no fun. Now I just hold wheel lightly at 10 and 2, with some help from the spokes. Totally relaxing, yet I’m there to take over if needed. If I need to use a hand or two for a few secs, I do. IMO this is the ONLY way to drive autonomous levels 1,2,3. Those of you who are trying to drive hands free are making it harder on yourselves.

PS, doing it the way I do is FAR better on highway than no AP. Once you find the groove, it’s kind of like reaching a cyborg level with your car. Stop fighting it!

The recommended positions for safe driving are now 9 and 3 or 8 and 4.

I might be the only one with this opinion, but....

I don't mind the nags on any version.

Why? For one thing....it keeps the nay-sayers in check. All of these stupid lying articles about people sleeping for 5 min and the car just driving them around is a farce. We all know that without using any tricks that a NOA Tesla won't drive by itself for 5 min while the driver sleeps.

Lastly, its good to know that if I have a stroke or something that the car would have pulled over and gotten me help. In this case - not responding to a nag might save my life.

Anyway.. I do empathize with the dislike for the nag...however I have learned to drive with resting my hand on the steering wheel enough to avoid the nags.

Why? For one thing....it keeps the nay-sayers in check. All of these stupid lying articles about people sleeping for 5 min and the car just driving them around is a farce. We all know that without using any tricks that a NOA Tesla won't drive by itself for 5 min while the driver sleeps.

Honestly not sure why that would be true for someone who say leaves their hand around the wheel and resting on their leg in the 5/7 o'clock position while falling asleep.

Seems like it'd be pretty easy for that to provide enough resistance for the nags.

Who the heck is complaining that we need more nags?? I have to fight to get the thing to not nag me when driving and often when I try to shake it to stop the nag it just throws it's hands up and disables autopilot. 2019.32.2.1 has been pretty good on my M3 w AP3 compared to previous releases, but I think we could use a less nags than this build.
Congratulations on your new car! Once you learn how to hold the wheel correctly while in autopilot, the nags will go away. Practice makes perfect!

Congratulations on your new car! Once you learn how to hold the wheel correctly while in autopilot, the nags will go away. Practice makes perfect!
Thanks!!! I'm a 42 year old software engineer UCLA math major with an engineering graduates degree at USC and have had the car for 3 months now on a 80 mile daily commute, and check the forums daily. Think Ive got a fair set of motor skills and a brain function to know that we have more than enough nags even in the best wheel holding position.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and anti
Thanks!!! I'm a 42 year old software engineer UCLA math major with an engineering graduates degree at USC and have had the car for 3 months now on a 80 mile daily commute, and check the forums daily. Think Ive got a fair set of motor skills and a brain function to know that we have more than enough nags even in the best wheel holding position.
Damn kids. Think they know everything. (where's the old guy "get off my lawn!" emoji?) Trust me, once you figure it out, you won't have ANY nags, like me. It IS something you can learn.

Last edited:
I have no idea how often mine nags in any version number because I always have one hand on the wheel in AP mode and the weight of my arm is sufficient. I can even rest my elbow on the armrest if needed. Maybe it's something I take for granted as a longer-limbed person.

Reactions: BerTX

Took me a month or so, but I never get nags any more. Turns out that they don't teach Tesla nag reduction at UCLA. And I'm 49.
Seriously though, there is a sweet spot. I find that it is easier to keep nags away with a slight pull to the left on the steering wheel than it is pulling slightly to the right. When I try to pull to the right I usually leave NOA. I just rest my arm on the door and hang it from about the 9 o clock position. You only want to apply about 1 to 1.5 lbs of force to the wheel or you will pull your car out of AP.

Hope that helps.