Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Togg

Mar 24, 2019
CA
Because of it's utter stupidity I've decided to rename my Y: Nervous Nelly.

The next step will be to sell it.

In cruse control (aka: whatever they call it) it drives like a stupid child with bad eyesight. I can't even count the number of times it's braked for no reason. It is only a matter of time till it harms me or my girl, as someone plows into me, or it shakes loose the cargo in my trailer and causes the person behind harm, or we skid off the icy road because of it's stupid programming. Each time I've reported the bug, but it doesn't fix anything.

My gal is already scared and very annoyed by my new car. What kind of car is that for a guy to have, one that scares his gal? That's stupid.

I hasten to say that: We also have a Model 3 and a Nissan Leaf. They don't do this. But the Model Y has me so annoyed that I'm almost ready to sell it!

I love that it's electric. Electric was the ONLY reason I bought it. I didn't want the self driving junk, but I have no option. I'm considering putting black tape over the cameras at this point.

But the Y comes with this stupid, dumb computer that thinks it's much smarter than it is, and that hits the brakes for no reason at all. There is no excuse for it!!!!!!!

I'm so very angry at the Y at this point.

For example, multiple times on a straight two lane road, in full daylight, with no cars either ahead of me or behind me for a mile, I'm driving along and suddenly the car F***ing hits the brakes. WTF?

I call it Sudden Unexplained Braking (SUB), as in: a sub-par car.

Also coming around a corner in the Walker River Canyon as we approach a truck (18 wheeler dry box) coming the other way and the Y suddenly and unexpectedly hits the f***ing brakes hard. There was no reason for this. If anything it's a sure way to loose control on a slick road and go into the river, and die, not because of the truck, which did nothing wrong, but because of the Y which thinks it's pants are smarty pants, when in fact it's really a very dumb and dangerous car.

Or when an oncoming car safely turns left, crossing my lane far in-front of me, the Y screams for help like a baby, and brakes hard like a, .... wait for it ... a nervous Nelly.

I'm all for artificial intelligence, believe me, I helped make the Silicon Valley AI Forum into a non-profit like 20+ some years ago.

But my Y doesn't have AI. What can be accurately said is that it has AS: Artificial Stupidity.

Here is what's going on I think:

For many decades AI guys have been promising results. They think they are so smart. Top of their class. And they have to tell their boss that it's possible. So they lean into their argument and promise their boss the world, but in reality knowing they don't know if they can deliver it or not.

Over and over, over many decades, AI has promised, but not delivered all that was promised. It's a very old game to those of us have been involved with AI over the decades. So these guys told Elon they could deliver AI driven cars, but the reality is: it was a promise they should have known that would not hold up.

Anyone who has been around AI for a few decades has seen just how hard AI is.

We are not there, and the truth is: we aren't even close to having a safe, AI driven car.

Would I even consider, at this point, buying the Tesla FSD software? No way, no how. Are you kidding? Why would I buy more "advanced" software, when the simple stuff won't even work correctly?

Just please give me the option to select simple, dumb, cruse control.

And then have your boys continue to play with the AI stuff on their own cars. Someday in 50 years or so perhaps they will get something as good as a teenager which can really distinguish what is needed to safely drive a car smoothly, that will impress me rather than scare. I might buy one.

I've been meaning to rant on this for quite awhile, but have been busy with work. But now that the snow is here, this is more of a life or death issue.

So to all of you who will down play my comments, please come here and drive the Walker River canyon towing a trailer in a Y in snow conditions, and tell me that it doesn't scare the crap out of you too.

Sorry you are not having a good experience. I have no issues with my 2022 Model Y when driving using autopilot or not. No sudden braking ever. I use autopilot daily during day & even now at night. Drove from Los Angeles to north of Sacramento & back mostly using autopilot, no real issues. It was around 940 miles. 🤷‍♂️ My family never knows if I’m driving or not.

Anyhow, adios, I’m sure you’ll get a buyer for your car without issue.

There are options to control many of these behaviors either in the autopilot or security sections? I have most assists off personally.
I have them all turned on since 12/2021. No problems. Even alerted me about a person who was walking in the middle of Mulholland Drive during pitch dark hours of the night. The street in Los Angeles is a curvy 2 lane road where people are known to drive fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart
Using Autopilot on a snowy canyon road while Towing. Seriously sounds like a bad idea in any vehicle. No Thanks.
I hear you that you might not drive the way I do. You're welcome to do that. But pleeease don't tell me how to drive. I'm 62. I've been driving since I was 14. I have an excellent driving record. No vehicle I've ever driven has had these problems. I'm 80 miles from shopping and drive a lot. I expect a vehicle to at least behave no worse than the other cars I've driven over the years.

Also I use cruse control a lot in our other vehicles with no problems. I tow lots of lumber, concrete, steel and countless other things, with cruse control in those vehicles, with no problems, and have for years.

I hate having to drive with my foot on the accelerator pedal all of the time just to be able to catch the Y when it screws up, or to just turn off the control which makes a $65k car sort of broken in a serious way.

Basically, the Y fails the Turing Test, and badly. If it passed the Turing Test, I would have no problems with it making a few mistakes, but it's like riding a misbehaving horse with a mind of it's own, and from time to time it just takes over with no appropriate justifiction.

At least with a horse you have a chance to teach it better.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Sorry you are not having a good experience. I have no issues with my 2022 Model Y when driving using autopilot or not. No sudden braking ever. I use autopilot daily during day & even now at night. Drove from Los Angeles to north of Sacramento & back mostly using autopilot, no real issues. It was around 940 miles. 🤷‍♂️ My family never knows if I’m driving or not.

Anyhow, adios, I’m sure you’ll get a buyer for your car without issue.
For what it's worth, my Y does seem to behave better in city driving, and on more traveled roads.

I hear you that you might not drive the way I do. You're welcome to do that. But pleeease don't tell me how to drive. I'm 62. I've been driving since I was 14. I have an excellent driving record. No vehicle I've ever driven has had these problems. I'm 80 miles from shopping and drive a lot. I expect a vehicle to at least behave no worse than the other cars I've driven over the years.

Also I use cruse control a lot in our other vehicles with no problems. I tow lots of lumber, concrete, steel and countless other things, with cruse control in those vehicles, with no problems, and have for years.

I hate having to drive with my foot on the accelerator pedal all of the time just to be able to catch the Y when it screws up, or to just turn off the control which makes a $65k car sort of broken in a serious way.

Basically, the Y fails the Turing Test, and badly. If it passed the Turing Test, I would have no problems with it making a few mistakes, but it's like riding a misbehaving horse with a mind of it's own, and from time to time it just takes over with no appropriate justifiction.

The fact that you're 62 and been driving since 14 doesn't make using cruise control on snowy windy roads while towing any wiser of a decision.

I was stating my opinion. I could actually care less how you drive. You posted here looking for feedback my feedback is that towing on snowy roads in a canyon is not something I recommend. If this is something you do all the time and tow extensively sounds like you made a bad decision and should have bought a truck suited to tow large loads.

Reactions: QUBO
I agree those don't sound like sound conditions for using it. That said, I've recently had the same issues on wide open straight freeways in the middle of the day, clear skies. Some haven't experienced it while others like myself have had many issues so it's hard to appreciate until it happens to you. I'm hoping for an update soon! This is probably just temporary but these things can drag on until resolved.

Reactions: Corndart
My previous car (BMW) had amazing cruise control. Uphill, downhill, in wind, around curves, in any gear, at very high speeds or very low speeds, it was always perfect...

...until someone slowed in front of me and I had to disengage it -- which was always.

So, while there certainly are pros/cons to this new-fangled "traffic aware" cruise control, I'd much rather have to nudge the Gauss pedal every once in a while when Nelly gets nervous than to go back to the old system of tapping the brakes myself and then embarking upon a whole new journey of getting the cruise control reconfigured for whatever this next mile's traffic situation is.

Either way, if cruise control is the dominant deciding factor for your car choice @Togg, I can't imagine how any other car could offer a better experience than Tesla, considering the huge benefit of Tesla's superior lane-keeping system.

Reactions: JohnB007
My previous car (BMW) had amazing cruise control. Uphill, downhill, in wind, around curves, in any gear, at very high speeds or very low speeds, it was always perfect...

...until someone slowed in front of me and I had to disengage it -- which was always.

So, while there certainly are pros/cons to this new-fangled "traffic aware" cruise control, I'd much rather have to nudge the Gauss pedal every once in a while when Nelly gets nervous than to go back to the old system of tapping the brakes myself and then embarking upon a whole new journey of getting the cruise control reconfigured for whatever this next mile's traffic situation is.

Either way, if cruise control is the dominant deciding factor for your car choice @Togg, I can't imagine how any other car could offer a better experience than Tesla, considering the huge benefit of Tesla's superior lane-keeping system.
I respect your opinion but I would much rather have it without the unexpected sudden braking for no reason.