Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to enquire, only issue is I dont have the car yet and im not sure its a requirement or not. Even now looking at 5 months worst case (hopefully) for it to turn up, Ill have to plug some big drainers in over night to bluff it šŸ˜‚
I was on Go for several months before I got my car, they don't seem to check so just to be move and lock in the current rate, now !

Reactions: Ted56
Sorry to jump into this late but do we think itā€™s worth it for people already on Go to jump into a new deal and start the 12 month clock again.

I joined in March so pay something like 30p a kWh in the day and a standing charge of around the same. Obviously I am on that until March next year but I canā€™t get my head around whether itā€™s better to be fixed for 12 months from now or to enjoy the rates I have got for another 6 months?

Sorry to jump into this late but do we think itā€™s worth it for people already on Go to jump into a new deal and start the 12 month clock again.

I joined in March so pay something like 30p a kWh in the day and a standing charge of around the same. Obviously I am on that until March next year but I canā€™t get my head around whether itā€™s better to be fixed for 12 months from now or to enjoy the rates I have got for another 6 months?
Nobody knows! If the government doesnā€™t do something very significant then all the current predictions of increases suggest that you are likely to be hammered next March. But can the government really do nothing? I did the early switch but I was only playing with a month, unlike yourself who will be saving a lot over several winter months. I would probably lean towards sticking with what you have.

I've double checked with Octopus and they've confirmed they will honour the current Go tariff when you're fully moved over. Pretty relieved as I don't have to worry if the Go tariff does increase in the next few days. I'm stuck on waiting for my previous supplier to provide final bill to Octopus before I'm fully moved over to Go.
Newly joined the thread so apologies in advance if I have missed any earlier relevant message.

WRT the above, I had a chat on Friday as a potential new customer with Octopus and the only rate they confirmed which most likely would not change was the off peak 7.5p but they could not commit to firm confirmation on the day rate, pretty much it was clear to me at the end that the day rate would be what ever it is going to be at the time (c30 days after the switch transition from initial flexible to GO/IO).

Hmm. I guess we will see what they do in October.

Saw this pop up yesterday.
E71CAC05-9FC9-4CAB-B974-C8DC5F7485F9.jpeg

Reactions: Fezza and _Dave_
Iā€™ve not had the ā€˜welcome toā€™ message yet on the meter (the live reading display is not back on, and looking at the settings it still lists my previous supplier), but I think you were a day ahead of me so should be the next 24hrs.

I can see on my octopus account on the site that the changeover (to variable for now) is complete, and Iā€™ve had an email from Shell saying the transfer away from them is complete.

On a side note; Iā€™ve never connected this smart device to my home Wi-Fi (it just connects automatically to the meter under the stairs). I guess the benefit of using Wi-Fi means I can control/monitor via an iOS app?

Need adviceā€¦ā€¦

currently with British Gas for both electricity & gas, on a standard variable tariff. My model 3 SR has a EDD of November. Is there any benefit at all to me switching to Octopus now, or wait; if so how simple is it to do?

Need adviceā€¦ā€¦

currently with British Gas for both electricity & gas, on a standard variable tariff. My model 3 SR has a EDD of November. Is there any benefit at all to me switching to Octopus now, or wait; if so how simple is it to do?
If youā€™re on the variable now, youā€™re better off trying to get on Octopus go tariffs now to lock in the cheaper prices for when your car gets here, and before any price increase coming up. Current Go rates are cheaper than the coming price cap so moving right now makes complete sense.

As long as you have the correct smart meter installed, itā€™s a very straight forward process which Octopus handle from start to end.

If you make the switch, use a friends referral code, or forum members if your friends are not with them. You will get Ā£50 credit.

If it helps, I did a Go vs price cap comparison based on todays rates at the link below.

If youā€™re on the variable now, youā€™re better off trying to get on Octopus go tariffs now to lock in the cheaper prices for when your car gets here, and before any price increase coming up. Current Go rates are cheaper than the coming price cap so moving right now makes complete sense.

As long as you have the correct smart meter installed, itā€™s a very straight forward process which Octopus handle from start to end.

If you make the switch, use a friends referral code, or forum members if your friends are not with them. You will get Ā£50 credit.

If it helps, I did a Go vs price cap comparison based on todays rates at the link below.

Thank you, so at the minute my variable rate with BG is 44.75p per day standing charge and 27.627p per kWh. If I could get GO what would I be able to lock in? Also how do I tell if my smart meter is compatibleā€¦ā€¦. And as a final question then suppose I do the same with gas and transfer to Octopus?

Where is your referral code, if I decide to make the switch I will use your code as a thanks for your help.

Need adviceā€¦ā€¦

Switch now would be my advice. The price cap is now protection for the supplier, not the consumer, and conventional fixed rate deals are lunatic expensive.

Go is fixed for 12 months and even at current tariff rates is cheaper and safer than anything else I can see.

Just make sure that when you switch you get it in writing that they will honour todayā€™s tariff not the one in effect when the switch has completed - I expect Go to change its tariffs very soon.

Thank you, so at the minute my variable rate with BG is 44.75p per day standing charge and 27.627p per kWh. If I could get GO what would I be able to lock in? Also how do I tell if my smart meter is compatibleā€¦ā€¦. And as a final question then suppose I do the same with gas and transfer to Octopus?

Where is your referral code, if I decide to make the switch I will use your code as a thanks for your help.
Your standard variable tariff will jump to 52p in month's time.

Is your meter SMETS2 or a SMETS1 "Secure" brand? If so you are ready to go. With Octopus Go you can still get 7.5p cheap rate and 40p peak but that may change any minute. Daily is high (49.38) but that's not the major contributor to the total bill. If you're going to do it ... do it very soon, as this could change at any minute. I've no idea about gas prices.

I just tried to sign up Intelligent Octopus via their website, but I need to choose an interim tariff at 72.87p /kWh as I am a new customer?!
Or I can call them and ask for Flexible as interim?

Can I be sure that when they finally switch me over to Intelligent Octopus, I will be locked into 40/7.5p, instead of the new price they come up with at that time?

I come from a place with a single supplier, this is all new to me at a really bad timing! Thanks to everyone!
Call them if Flexible Octopus isnā€™t in the list as an interim tariff, and make sure they honour the Go tariff at point of switch in writing. Flexible will rise soon of course but risk is limited during switching time.

14B17C45-FAC4-461D-B96F-0675E823B091.png

I had a Smets2 meter already, signed up to Octopus flex on Thursday, went live on Saturday so signed up to Go Saturday morning, just had an email to confirm T&Cs on Sunday and went straight onto Go at 40//7.5 cant say fairer than that!
Excellent. If you have a Tesla you should consider switching to Intelligent Octopus as the rates are the same as Go, but your house gets an extra 2 hours of cheap rate electricity (2330-0530 on IO instead of 0030-0430 on Go).

With IO your overnight charge is always at 7.5p/kWh when controlled by Octopus, so if you use your Tesla for long-ish distances it's perfectly possible to cap your overnight charge costs at 7.5p/kWh even if the charge length doesn't fit in the time window. This is why my Dad has been doing since IO was released, and it's been liberating for him. It also means that come winter-time we can cram another 6.6kWh into his home batteries at 7.5p/kWh compared to Go; he has 20kWh of local battery storage which means he can go from empty to full on the batteries 2330-0530 at 3.3kW.

I'd be on IO personally now if I hadn't managed to bag a much cheaper Go deal than is currently available. Current tariff :
Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 14.34.05.png

Tariffs I could switch to, somewhat unappealingly :

Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 14.30.32.png

Just a suggestion :)

Last edited:
Excellent. If you have a Tesla you should consider switching to Intelligent Octopus as the rates are the same as Go, but your house gets an extra 2 hours of cheap rate electricity (2330-0530 on IO instead of 0030-0430 on Go).

With IO your overnight charge is always at 7.5p/kWh when controlled by Octopus, so if you use your Tesla for long-ish distances it's perfectly possible to cap your overnight charge costs at 7.5p/kWh even if the charge length doesn't fit in the time window. This is why my Dad has been doing since IO was released, and it's been liberating for him. It also means that come winter-time we can cram another 6.6kWh into his home batteries at 7.5p/kWh compared to Go.

I'd be on IO personally now if I hadn't managed to bag a much cheaper Go deal than is currently available.

Just a suggestion :)
As soon as I get the car Iā€™ll check out the day rate for IO.

Reactions: Utumno and Benotomy
This might be known already, but this popped up at me on Octopus's website just now :

Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 14.20.06.png

For those still umming and ahhing about switching, I think you're going to want to get off the fence sooner than later. Particularly given the successes of some switchers reported here.

Reactions: MattM76
Once you are on Octopus you can switch without penalty. My switch to new version Go happened the same afternoon as I clicked the button. If you sign up to one of the smart tariffs Go, IO etc you need to stick with it for 30 days before you can do a further switch.

What inverter did you order and what battery pack you are looking for?

Waiting for a couple of these to come in stock somewhere:

A friend has this exact setup and heā€™s happy with it using Go.

Iā€™ll eventually get solar panels once I can afford them!

Status
Not open for further replies.