Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be very surprised if we don't see a dip in the exponential growth of EV ownership. Though this situation will be temporary I doubt it's going to be "short temporary". Aside from energy prices themselves the government need to seriously up the pressure on the smart meter situation (i.e. ensuring options for people who have been told their property "isn't suitable"... it really is ridiculous).

Reactions: MattM76
So, maybe an odd question but I'd appreciate any help.

I'm not looking for a full blown battery storage system (power wall etc) to make use of Go as we'll likely move in the next year and that's a next house kind of thing BUT I'd still like to save where I can as I work from home and have two energy hungry kids with their devices.

Is there a scaled down version of a powerbank type thing that I can charge during cheap time and then run my laptop/screens, charge kids tablets etc off during the day? I'm thinking a big power bank type thing set on a smart plug so that it only charges during cheap time but then runs my small office setup during the day (MBP and two screens). Not even sure what I'd need in terms of storage but I'm guessing I'm in the realms of home UPS's... but are they ok to use in that way? I'm also feeling that the cost to buy may outweigh any savings but thought I'd ask the question in was anyone has any thoughts!

Apologies for it being zero to do with cars!

I'm not looking for a full blown battery storage system (power wall etc) to make use of Go as we'll likely move in the next year and that's a next house kind of thing BUT I'd still like to save where I can as I work from home and have two energy hungry kids with their devices.

Is there a scaled down version of a powerbank type thing that I can charge during cheap time and then run my laptop/screens, charge kids tablets etc off during the day? I'm thinking a big power bank type thing set on a smart plug so that it only charges during cheap time but then runs my small office setup during the day (MBP and two screens). Not even sure what I'd need in terms of storage but I'm guessing I'm in the realms of home UPS's... but are they ok to use in that way? I'm also feeling that the cost to buy may outweigh any savings but thought I'd ask the question in was anyone has any thoughts!

There are battery banks like this

but while the outlay isn't a large as a proper house battery neither is the saving. At 1.2KWH you are going to save maybe 50p a day, so payback period of 6.7 years against a 5 year warranty.

Reactions: Fezza

Yes! I have an EcoFlow Delta Max with a solar panel. Trickle charge during the day to get as much out of it as possible and charge overnight for 15p versus £1.10.

Good hedge against blackouts for critical devices too.

Attachments

• 31EBE4F9-05E4-4E3E-96CA-A9DBF1AA457F.jpeg
    31EBE4F9-05E4-4E3E-96CA-A9DBF1AA457F.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 51
There are battery banks like this

but while the outlay isn't a large as a proper house battery neither is the saving. At 1.2KWH you are going to save maybe 50p a day, so payback period of 6.7 years against a 5 year warranty.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking must exist. You're quite right though about the payback period though. Hmmm...!

I switched Thursady, got moved today, applied for Go and got a smart meter booking for the 27th Sept. Just got to hope the rate is fixed until it’s installed 🤞
I also switched Thurs, moved today, applied for Go. I have the smart meters already, so just waiting on my previous supplier to provide readings in the next couple of days before they'll process the move to Go, I think.

Reactions: MattM76 and robmcm
I also switched Thurs, moved today, applied for Go. I have the smart meters already, so just waiting on my previous supplier to provide readings in the next couple of days before they'll process the move to Go, I think.
Guy on the phone said I may get priority once I apply to Go, will call back on Tuesday to see where I stand. Worst case im on the same variable I was on before.

I've double checked with Octopus and they've confirmed they will honour the current Go tariff when you're fully moved over. Pretty relieved as I don't have to worry if the Go tariff does increase in the next few days. I'm stuck on waiting for my previous supplier to provide final bill to Octopus before I'm fully moved over to Go.

And so it begins: Electric cars will be more expensive to run than petrol

Comparing the worst possible charging options with the best fuel efficient cars.

I'm not going behind the paywall to read this, but I'm willing to bet that one assumption they are making is that petrol and diesel prices will remain the same.

Unfortunately for them oil extraction, transport and refining all use electricity so I will be very surprised if there isn't at least some increase as a result of the same pressure on consumer prices. At a guess we might see 10-20p/Litre on pump prices.

I was on a very good Go rate that was going to expire after the next price cap is due to be announced, so took the plunge yesterday and switched to intelligent before the up the prices. It’ll cost us a bit more for the next few months, but with batteries and solar it shouldn’t be too bad. We have an ASHP for heating and hot water, so wanted to lock in the lower rates before winter.

Reactions: Utumno and MattM76
Might be worse than I thought.

I've just seen a post on Twitter from a pub owner showing his latest quote for electricity prices; the unit price has gone up from 15p/kWn in May to 97p/kWh from September; a little over 6x the price.

Obviously I have have no idea how much refineries pay per unit or how big a percentage of the manufacturing cost of fuels are electricity, but even If it's as low as 5p/litre then it could be 30p/litre before the end of the year if they have similar increases.

It's not going to be pretty for anyone, but it does look like EV charging might still come out ahead (just).

I've just seen a post on Twitter from a pub owner showing his latest quote for electricity prices; the unit price has gone up from 15p/kWn in May to 97p/kWh from September; a little over 6x the price.
Lost amongst all of this is people forget the price cap is only for consumers. For businesses who didn’t manage to lock in some sort of good deal a year+ ago they are getting utterly hammered by the wholesale prices plus any extra profit their suppliers will desperately need to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.