Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO this is good news... I never understood what this was supposed to accomplish. It appeared to be a knee-jerk reaction to locals sitting on SCs. The timing was oddly close to the idle fees. If they want to deter locals from using SCs for daily charging then the 400kWh limit should apply to local SCs not ALL SCs.... if a SC is <100 miles from where your car sleeps then there's a cap on how much you can use it...
Don't forget the latest Supercharger plan released a few weeks ago provides for local Supercharging, so if the reasoning for cutting off free use is based on local usage, that reason is gone anyway. But this sudden, unannounced change smacks of desperation. S and X sales must be tanking.

And mine is back but numbers don't match. Perhaps I got a server that hasn't updated..

My referrals reset to zero for this quarter also. They must be working on everything.

Thanks Erik

Screenshot_20170519-205342.png

Screenshot_20170519-205459.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Ok, just checked myTesla again, and now the history section with remaining free supercharging has reappeared! However, it now shows 400kWh remaining, and I had already used some of it. Before today it showed 350kWh remaining. So, this am, 350kWh remaining; later today, history and reference to 400kWh was removed; now, it has reappeared but is now back to 400kWh. Weird!!

The question is why now?

Why is there a need to pull a demand lever now? Especially for it to include cars that have already been purchased. As I've said before, free unlimited super charging isn't worth that much more over 400kWh/year, unless you are in the business of driving. It is a powerful emotional thing but doesn't cost Tesla much to do on the average case. So is sales below expectation? Or is this a proactive move to placate those of us who just bought the car before a major update to the S is imminent?

This is something bigger than just a sales gimmick if they are giving free Supercharging to cars already sold. I had paid about $155 in SC fees, so this is pretty cool. One guess is they screwed up versus state regulations about reselling electricity and had to modify their program. I never heard of Tesla giving back money to previous customers just because something new was coming.

Now if they can just make ventilated seats appear in my X...

MyTesla now says:

You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging.

Sounds like some sort of new referral program plus existing owners get grandfathered into unlimited supercharging. Could really use a press release!

So is sales below expectation? Or is this a proactive move to placate those of us who just bought the car before a major update to the S is imminent?
Just making things up over here, heavily weighted with hopefulness. Maybe the Model 3 is just sooooo good, that Tesla is having some difficulty differentiating from the Model S, and free Supercharging will be on the list of distinctions, encouraging folks to get the S -- or the X -- instead.

Please, please, please, please, please.

Just making things up over here, heavily weighted with hopefulness. Maybe the Model 3 is just sooooo good, that Tesla is having some difficulty differentiating from the Model S, and free Supercharging will be on the list of distinctions, encouraging folks to get the S -- or the X -- instead.

Please, please, please, please, please.

realistically many of us would like the smaller model 3 to make parking spaces / garage door / garage size (length and/or width) easier to deal with.

Just the size difference alone is enough to push a lot of people to the 3 if they don't need the seating of the X.

Reactions: AlanSqB