Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my call today to schedule pickup on the 27th! I think because of my pick up location I'm having to wait, since they are closed on the weekends =(

Also: I was told the delivery cars are on trucks headed to a train station in Mckinney (idk), where they will be then sent to the North Texas delivery hub (?) and then dispersed to the pickup location that you chose. Real ETA is the 22nd. May have heard that wrong but that's what I rmr from the conversation.

Last edited:
Regarding the front plate in TX: I got stopped years ago, but seeing as I had it in the trunk and I promised to put it on when I got home they let me go. Having said that, my understanding is that it's a two plate state, but the front is only required if the car was originally made with a mounting position on the front, but that's just an opinion

The Texas Transportation Code, Title 7 (Vehicles and Traffic), Subtitle A, Chapter 504 (License Plates) says (my emphasis):

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE.
(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays a fine not to exceed $10.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

So that needs "rules" explaining:

Sec. 504.010. ISSUANCE AND PLACEMENT OF LICENSE PLATE.
(a) On payment of the prescribed fee, an applicant for motor vehicle registration shall be issued a license plate or set of plates.
(b) Subject to Section 504.901, the department shall issue only one license plate or set of plates for a vehicle during the registration period set by rule.
(c) The board may adopt rules regarding the placement of license plates for a motor vehicle, road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer.

I've not (yet) found anything more concrete than that I'm afraid

I heard about the derailment and apparently it was pretty bad. I'll see if I can find out anything on that

...but mine's a white/black with the towbar, normal wheels and no FSD

The order went in on June 22nd and my Delivery Date keeps bouncing around. Currently August 25th through September 14th, but at one point it was just a vague "October"

No VIN yet (also no insurance, no charger, no floor mats etc etc)

...then there's the Texas Administrative Code Title 43, Part 10, Chapter 217, Subchapter B, Rule 217.27

(b) Unless otherwise prescribed by law, each vehicle registered under this subchapter:

(1) must display two license plates that are clearly visible, readable, and legible, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in an upright horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom, except that a vehicle described by Transportation Code, §621.2061 may place the rear plate so that it is clearly visible, readable, and legible; or

(2) must display one plate that is securely fastened at or as close as practical to the exterior rear of the vehicle in a position not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom if the vehicle is a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer.

So theoretically you can't put it on the dashboard INSIDE the windshield, although that's always seemed to me to be a dangerous practice anyway

621.2061 is talking about Commercial vehicles btw

We have the same EDD range and both ordered basic white on white vehicles.

So it seems the EDD is really based on when the tasks like finance were submitted as while I ordered 2 weeks before you I waited 2.5 weeks to complete said tasks so just a couple of days after you ordered (and presumably completed your profile).

Got link to scheduled delivery earlier today and we're on for 7/25 (next Sun). There was no option for anything and once I picked the date it went to home delivery. As I asked in another thread, anyone know if it's possible to have them switch to pick up at the SC we originally picked when placing the order? I just have this thing about someone else driving my brand new car, it's mostly principle. In the general thread I was told there's no option, figured I'd ask here in the TX thread to see if anything's done differently in our state (as are many other things, like registration, tax, having to pay before delivery w/o chance to inspect first, etc.).

Got link to scheduled delivery earlier today and we're on for 7/25 (next Sun). There was no option for anything and once I picked the date it went to home delivery. As I asked in another thread, anyone know if it's possible to have them switch to pick up at the SC we originally picked when placing the order? I just have this thing about someone else driving my brand new car, it's mostly principle. In the general thread I was told there's no option, figured I'd ask here in the TX thread to see if anything's done differently in our state (as are many other things, like registration, tax, having to pay before delivery w/o chance to inspect first, etc.).
You try calling to speak to a SA? They might be able to help set you up to a specific location. Your car will be sitting at a location in either case where the home delivery person will have to go to for pickup and then drop off to you so you might as well go there instead. - that's what I would tell them on the phone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yankees
You try calling to speak to a SA? They might be able to help set you up to a specific location. Your car will be sitting at a location in either case where the home delivery person will have to go to for pickup and then drop off to you so you might as well go there instead. - that's what I would tell them on the phone.
Yep, that's what I ended up doing (the #s I have are closed over the wknd) and they were able to change it to pickup for me. They also told me car is still in transit as of this AM, hopefully there are no snags for the scheduled deliv this coming Sun.

Reactions: yeafoshizzle