Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not enough sales pressure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live nearly 200 miles from the Tesla Service center, so I ordered my 2018 model S online as well as the home charger which was installed by a local electrician without verbal contact with Tesla . I did not visit a SC until I picked the car up. In the past I have always hated going to a ICE dealership and to avoid the disgusting haggling I would make a detailed list and go to two or three dealers and request their best price and pick the lowest one and never dealt with buyers remorse.

Reactions: house9
How did your friend AND you not ask how to charge the car? That should be first and foremost on everyone's mind. My goodness.
YOU did your friend a disservice. Big-time. It was his fault for relying on you to help him through the process. I've guided many people through the buying process. I spend far more time talking about the charging process than anything else.
Charging cables and Homelink? We all have plenty of cables, and if you have a garage door just take the opened and place it in your new car. Pretty simple.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
and yet it's interesting that any device you buy comes with its power wire. Imagine if you had to figure out and buy each custom wire for every device you've bought?

There are typically 2 main power options in this country in everyone's home panel. Tesla provides a Supercharging network and one power source that is one of the most common known to mankind.

Imagine if you had 3 options for powering every electrical device that we own?

If your adapter converts to a 14-50 then it should think you have a 50 amp circuit which would cap the current to 40 amps. So yes set it to 24 amps manually. I have several other adapters the plug into a 14-50 50ft extension cable so I have 75ft length on my charger. The rule is rated amps x .8. So 30 amps x .8 = 24 amps.
That's the danger with connector converters, if you do it wrong you could do anything from trip a breaker to burn a house down and kill people.

I checked last night and it was drawing 32A so says the screen. It's been working for a few months now so maybe it's fine?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The 6-30 is listed by Wikipedia as rare. Maybe you could have the outlet changed to a 10-30.

Yeah I don't know why the building chose to install those. And when I asked them about it they called it a "standard outlet". I figured if Tesla didn't make an adaptor for it it was hardly standard. No I cant change it. I throttled my speed down to 24amps last night which is fine.. it still charges over night and only adds a few more hours to the charging. But, I'm still wondering if I really have to change it.

or should I get something like this?

NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S™/X™/3™ Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Then I wont have to change any settings and it should work good?
That is good but nothing wrong with setting it manually. If there are 4 wires back behind that outlet and they are wired up correctly you could install a 14-30. That was the case at my house with one of my outlets.

From the description from your link:
For your safety, this adapter has an internal circuit that monitors the plug temperature and communicates with the car to automatically set the appropriate 24 amp charging current. No need to manually set the current – simply plug it in!

For now though be safe and set it to 24 amps!

I can definitely see both sides of this debate but I'm leaning towards OP's side. We don't have a dealer anywhere near us and the only contact we had was at a pop up event. The guy that took us for a test drive in Sept told us the 14-50 adapter came with the car, along with the USB cables. He said if it was in the demo car we drove we would get it with the car we ordered. Now, I don't mind that I had to buy these items, it's just the communication process could have been better. This sales person called us once a week until we finally ordered in Oct. Here's where I tend to agree with Op. I hate hagling at dealerships, and I love Tesla's process. That being said, I would expect Tesla would like for their reps to at least TRY to engage about certain upgrades. For instance, we live in Buffalo and it's pretty cold here 8 months out of the year. My wifes commute is 100 miles r/t and she works in a not so great area. When we ordered the car with the rep on the phone we laid out our scenario. Sentry mode was a big deal for us. To that end he said the sr+ was perfectly sufficient. The first day my wife drove the car to work she just barely made it home and that was reducing her speed to 60 in a 65 and basically crawling home. Turns out that there's no way we could keep sentry running and preheat the recommended half hour before driving while only charging the battery to 90%. In fact even if we went to say 95, she would still have to sacrifice some comfort. Point is, we would have bought the longer range if recommended. Sometimes you need the employees of the company you do business with to nudge you a little bit instead of just agreeing with everything you say. Oh and for the accessories it was just a "oops, sorry I said that"

That is good but nothing wrong with setting it manually. If there are 4 wires back behind that outlet and they are wired up correctly you could install a 14-30. That was the case at my house with one of my outlets.

From the description from your link:
For your safety, this adapter has an internal circuit that monitors the plug temperature and communicates with the car to automatically set the appropriate 24 amp charging current. No need to manually set the current – simply plug it in!

For now though be safe and set it to 24 amps!

Setting manually might get annoying if it resets after an update or something. But I suppose it's better then spending the 75 bucks for another plug.

I cant change the outlet because I cant modify the building where I live. And also, there's other EV owners in the building that I bet aren't modifying their amps so if this is a problem I suppose anyone else has the chance of being a fire hazard? I have a feeling that the apt complex where I live planned for this and made the outlets beefy. or at least I hope.. again ive been charging at the 32amp for 2 months now with no problem. so...

Woah 60-65 is crawling home? Quite the speedster.. 65 is our speed limits over here. I hear you though. You deff need a long range with that commute and temps. Did you end up returning it in the 7 days or you're living with it?

On the NYS Thruway doing 60 in that 65 is dangerous imo. As far as returning it, we also weren't told that we waived that right by taking the nys instant rebate. I should also add we were told we got a full year of premium connectivity free which we don't either.

Thats what the internet (and you) are for. I researched this car to death for over a year before i purchased. Watched every YouTube video multiple times, read this forum front to back. Besides every time i have bought a car, I knew more than they guy or gal trying to “sell” it to me.

Exactly^^^^
In this day and age of information there's no excuse for being uneducated when making a major purchase like this. The salesman don't own one, and I knew more about them than they did. They just facilitated the transaction
I can definitely see both sides of this debate but I'm leaning towards OP's side. We don't have a dealer anywhere near us and the only contact we had was at a pop up event. The guy that took us for a test drive in Sept told us the 14-50 adapter came with the car, along with the USB cables. He said if it was in the demo car we drove we would get it with the car we ordered. Now, I don't mind that I had to buy these items, it's just the communication process could have been better. This sales person called us once a week until we finally ordered in Oct. Here's where I tend to agree with Op. I hate hagling at dealerships, and I love Tesla's process. That being said, I would expect Tesla would like for their reps to at least TRY to engage about certain upgrades. For instance, we live in Buffalo and it's pretty cold here 8 months out of the year. My wifes commute is 100 miles r/t and she works in a not so great area. When we ordered the car with the rep on the phone we laid out our scenario. Sentry mode was a big deal for us. To that end he said the sr+ was perfectly sufficient. The first day my wife drove the car to work she just barely made it home and that was reducing her speed to 60 in a 65 and basically crawling home. Turns out that there's no way we could keep sentry running and preheat the recommended half hour before driving while only charging the battery to 90%. In fact even if we went to say 95, she would still have to sacrifice some comfort. Point is, we would have bought the longer range if recommended. Sometimes you need the employees of the company you do business with to nudge you a little bit instead of just agreeing with everything you say. Oh and for the accessories it was just a "oops, sorry I said that"

Your experience is much more frustrating than the OP's. You were actually told wrong information. Sorry for what you went through!
I've been to 3 Tesla showrooms and they're full of Millenials selling cars with Gen Xers as managers. The buying process itself is very painful. Communication is tough to come by so you have to be proactive and ask questions.
When I took possession of my car I got an hour down the road and they called me to say they forgot to have me sign a document. I told them after what I went through there was zero chance that I was turning around. Sorry!
I absolutely LOVE the car, but man, buying it was awful.

:)As a adult, it's my responsibility to do "my" homework prior to making a big purchase decision. We're fortunate to have online forums like this that provide so much information, and the ability to ask questions and gather opinions. Don't be lazy.

You mis-read. It says the L6-30 is more common than the higher current ( 6-30 ) . It is the 6-30 that is rare. I have never seen one in a motel or hotel room or any 208-240 vac outlet.

iirc I’ve seen them used for the combined wall heater/ac units that are so obnoxious, but the outlet might have been a 6-20 too. Had a last room avaliable deal, with exactly 2 other outlets, so I unplugged it thinking to recharge the phones while watching tv with a light on, but nope.

I suppose I should apologize about the subject line. It was an attempt to be ironic. I actually did not mean that the sales person should have pressured my friend to buy those things, only that it might have been helpful to review a few things that many/some/most people find helpful. Just to avoid disappointment later.

As I think I mentioned, my friend found the whole buying process quite easy and refreshingly unpressured. I only meant to say that had I not been with him, he might well have assumed that some things which come with many cars in that price range also came with his new purchase.

I am quite eager to learn more about what kind of outlet I should have installed rather than the 14-50.

Not everyone is perfect. People make mistakes.

You should have also gone with a HPWC.