Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not enough sales pressure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)As a adult, it's my responsibility to do "my" homework prior to making a big purchase decision. We're fortunate to have online forums like this that provide so much information, and the ability to ask questions and gather opinions. Don't be lazy.

In my case, my purchase decision was quick and unplanned. My previous car got totaled. I was at the height of the busiest year in my career (I'm in sales, so that's a good thing), so my "research" was virtually non-existent. Thankfully I had a good friend who has his third Tesla and was able to guide me on the basics. I've been scrambling to catch up on my knowledge and this site has been a very big part of that.

But since I wasn't able to research up front, I try not to complain about what I didn't know. I knew I was in for something new and just enjoyed the ride.

I laugh because I completed all my loan docs while I was on a conference call one day.

Reactions: house9
I think the delivery person should help people know how to charge their car. When I got my car I couldn't charge it because my building uses a non standard port that isn't even in the adaptors that Tesla sells. Which is whatever. I ordered the adaptor I needed from amazon. I got home on a very cold night with about 20% battery. There was a message on the screen that said the battery charge would drop if the battery cools down. So I rush and park and try to plug it in and boom holy *sugar* I needed a 14-50 adaptor too?? I then had to rush to a supercharger before the battery cooled down and got there with 7% charge and let it charge while eating dinner at a panera. I then ordered it from Tesla and had to wait a week for it to get delivered which required me charging at a super charger every day.

It's not the end of the world or anything but I think a little more time should be spent on teaching people how to charge or making sure people have what they need because it could have all been avoided.
We received our Model 3 in August and I also find that the delivery person (not a sales person at all) should have told us more about functions of the car.

Most people on this forum are going to excuse and/or defend anything that Tesla does or doesn't do. The reality is that they could do more during the delivery process to aid in their customers' adoption/use of an EV.

Simply asking, "How do you plan on charging your new car?" would spark further conversation and go a long way towards determining one's needed charging (and other) accessories.

However, those of us who are more objective and not blinded by Tesla love know that the company has a long way to go in the customer service area.

Most people on this forum are going to excuse and/or defend anything that Tesla does or doesn't do. The reality is that they could do more during the delivery process to aid in their customers' adoption/use of an EV.

Simply asking, "How do you plan on charging your new car?" would spark further conversation and go a long way towards determining one's needed charging (and other) accessories.

However, those of us who are more objective and not blinded by Tesla love know that the company has a long way to go in the customer service area.

Can you name a single automaker who has consistently good customer service and accurate pre-delivery walk-thru?
I can't. I had a Cadillac dealer do an incredible job ONCE. No other brands though, and not typical of a Cadillac purchase.

The worst situation is buying an EV. Conventional automaker's dealerships are normally clueless. Uneducated is the default condition. I would not be surprised if this is true for Porsche as well. The indicator is that they require a mandatory Porsche portable EVSE purchase which is listed as 'optional' equipment = $1,120. This assumes every EV buyer needs one, which shows a poor understanding of the EV market in 2020 in America. Many of us store our EVSE's at home. If you ever get stranded a tow truck works better than a EVSE since it doesn't hold electricity like a gas can does.

I took a test drive in a 2020 Nissan Leaf for information purposes. I know NOTHING about the Leaf. But I knew more about the car than the salesman did. (It's power to weight ratio is screwy. It's WAY more sluggish than the numbers would indicate. We never did completely figure out the AutoSteering. Since I've taught myself how to engage it on 3 other brands, I was not impressed. Not a good value even though inexpensive, terrible hatch loading layout was one of many glaring faults.)

I see I have ignited the fanboys. Apparently nothing can be improved upon.

I was not complaining about the sales process. In fact if you read my post, I was praising it for its lack of haggling and sales pressure. My only point was that for non-technical people some of the details regarding charging, outlets, home link, audio cables, are not on their radar when they buy a car.

I absolutely do not buy the argument that “adults“ should all do a detailed technical analysis of everything they buy. Or read the entire EULA for every piece of software they use. If that were the case I don’t think Tesla would be selling as well as it has been. Many Tesla drivers I have met would not know a 14–50 from a hole in the wall. They should not have to pass a test in order to buy a car.

As for my own culpability, I was there to tell my friend about the options he would need. Not sure why anyone would think I did him a disservice.

When I picked mine up, April 2019, the sa was not in control of all the technology details. She had to struggle through menus to find things, and didn’t do a very good job of explaining things from the top down, Even though it’s pretty simple. I had a test drive in the summer of 2018, with an excellent rep, so had a good grasp of most things anyway. At pickup, the basics were all covered well and we had a charging and supercharger discussion. Home charging could have been a daunting discussion, but I had done some homework, so knew what I had available.

That lack of detailed knowledge of the car systems absolutely parallels my experiences buying and test driving at ford, Toyota, Honda, jeep, vw, and Audi. Recently The local Audi and vw sa’s were particularly bad at knowing which buttons did what. The vw guy said he had to go review the video training, and texted me a link while we were out driving, lol. I can only imagine how they deal with customers for “the new egolf” which they’ve been advertising lately: “ the golf experience but electric”, conveyed by talking level 2 chargers.

so a mixed bag, and room for improvement for sure, but par for the course, and no bullshit negotiation etc.

When I picked mine up, April 2019, the sa was not in control of all the technology details. She had to struggle through menus to find things, and didn’t do a very good job of explaining things from the top down, Even though it’s pretty simple. I had a test drive in the summer of 2018, with an excellent rep, so had a good grasp of most things anyway. At pickup, the basics were all covered well and we had a charging and supercharger discussion. Home charging could have been a daunting discussion, but I had done some homework, so knew what I had available.

That lack of detailed knowledge of the car systems absolutely parallels my experiences buying and test driving at ford, Toyota, Honda, jeep, vw, and Audi. Recently The local Audi and vw sa’s were particularly bad at knowing which buttons did what. The vw guy said he had to go review the video training, and texted me a link while we were out driving, lol. I can only imagine how they deal with customers for “the new egolf” which they’ve been advertising lately: “ the golf experience but electric”, conveyed by talking level 2 chargers.

so a mixed bag, and room for improvement for sure, but par for the course, and no bullshit negotiation etc.

To be clear, my friend’s sales person was knowledgeable. When asked, she provided good information. She actually did know her stuff.

to those discussing the NMEA 6 series outlets, I learned a lot about them when I installed the charging outlet for my M3. It is used for 30 amp circuits commonly found in electric water heaters. It supports three wires, 2 for the 240v power and one for safety ground. I tapped my outlet off the water heater circuit and learned this. The other 240 v outlets with four contacts include the three above plus a neutral wire used to allow 120v internal circuits in the appliance connected. And Tesla doesn't make an adapter for the 6-30 but they are available on the after-market. And the after-market ones set the UMC to charge at 0.8x30=24 amps like they should. Charging at 32 amps on a 30 amp circuit might work but the wire is not sized for that load and will likely get warmer than normal and produce excessive voltage drop from the breaker to the outlet.

Just my experience trying to get a charging outlet on the opposite end of the house from the electrical panel.

to those discussing the NMEA 6 series outlets, [snip] Charging at 32 amps on a 30 amp circuit might work but the wire is not sized for that load and will likely get warmer than normal and produce excessive voltage drop from the breaker to the outlet.
It may also cause the breaker to heat up, it might trip (that's its job - to protect the wires in the wall and prevent a fire). It may also cause the breaker to fail prematurely. All in all not a great plan. Be careful out there!

14-50 is not required to charge the car. If you need that specific cable you can buy one on Telsa's website.
Homelink is a paid option now, clearly priced on Telsa's website.
Telsa's optional wireless charging pad is the 2020 way of charging a phone and can be bought on their website or use the cables that come with your phone plugged into USB ports like most cars.

These are minor bits and pieces which you can buy yourself if you want them. I would rather things like this be priced separately so the car can be priced as low as possible and I am sure you friend is as well.

Did you notice no front frunk mat anymore as well. Doubt your friend cared about that either.

Why should a sales person say what does not come with the car?

A salesperson should mention things that don't come with the car in order to sell them and generate revenue and profits for the company that employs them.

Not enough sales pressure? I don't see the relevance of the title to your post wherein you suggest a salesperson failed to impart information. That has nothing to do with sales pressure.

1) Your friend can charge his car. At home. With the supplied Tesla 120v charger.
2) Your friend can open his garage door. With a garage door opener supplied with the garage opener head unit.
3) Your friend can charge his phone by purchasing a USB charging cable...like most buyers.

It's a buyer's responsibility to look at the list of features in a car he/she is buying, and decide if the car suits his/her needs. If a feature isn't listed, then it's a buyer's responsibility to ask if it's available. To suggest a salesperson is responsible to read a buyer's mind and provide a laundry list of features not included is ridiculous on its face.

If you emiyed a salesperson who did not try to sell things that generate revenue and profits for your company would you consider them a good salesperson?

Perhaps the failure here was with the OP, not Tesla.

His friend was a novice buyer. Did not know the first thing about buying a Tesla, but did a smart thing by having the OP, an experienced Tesla owner and Forum Member, come along to explain the Wonderful World of Tesla to her.

It was he that did not disclose the lack of a 14-50 plug. He should have gotten one before leaving the store if that was what she needed. He should have explained that they used to come with Homelink, but no more. Should have told her to bring along her garage door opener.

He should have showed her where the USB ports were located, and have her bring along her proper charging cords.

The buyer relied on the OP to lead her during delivery, but perhaps the failure was there.

It was not the duty of the delivery person to point out every charge made to her car, that was different from what the OP received.

This is, of course, tongue in cheek. Just points out that while Tesla did not explain all the changes, neither did the OP.

I know you are joking but he said salesperson not delivery person. Lots of people still go to the store to buy them. My wife walked down to the mall near our house and ordered hers in person.

If you emiyed a salesperson who did not try to sell things that generate revenue and profits for your company would you consider them a good salesperson?
I understand your question, but I reject how it re-frames the post you quoted.

The OP's theme was that the salesperson did not mention features missing from the Model 3 his friend was purchasing, but were included on the Model 3 the OP purchased (actually, we didn't learn this last fact until a subsequent post)...and how these missing features would make it impossible for his friend to charge the car at home, or open his garage door, or charge his phone; all of which are false.

The OP made no mention of discussing with the salesperson home charging alternatives, or HomeLink installation or USB charging cables. Therefore, we can't conclude one way or the other if the salesperson offered options.

Reactions: Rocky_H
How did your friend AND you not ask how to charge the car? That should be first and foremost on everyone's mind. My goodness.
YOU did your friend a disservice. Big-time. It was his fault for relying on you to help him through the process. I've guided many people through the buying process. I spend far more time talking about the charging process than anything else.
Charging cables and Homelink? We all have plenty of cables, and if you have a garage door just take the opened and place it in your new car. Pretty simple.

The charge cable that came with my car was unique in that the plug had a 90 degree bend to fit into the dock that came with the car. The standard cables didnt fit.

I understand your question, but I reject how it re-frames the post you quoted.

The OP's theme was that the salesperson did not mention features missing from the Model 3 his friend was purchasing, but were included on the Model 3 the OP purchased (actually, we didn't learn this last fact until a subsequent post)...and how these missing features would make it impossible for his friend to charge the car at home, or open his garage door, or charge his phone; all of which are false.

The OP made no mention of discussing with the salesperson home charging alternatives, or HomeLink installation or USB charging cables. Therefore, we can't conclude one way or the other if the salesperson offered options.

I understand your point but the goal of a salesperson is both to sell and anticipate anything that might disappoint customer. Not mentioning that there are no longer grocery baghooks is different than suggesting a Homelink upgrade.

Perhaps the biggest issue is that the OP feels he let down his friend. Would have expected the new car to at least offer all the things he got in his. Even if they offered no real value to his friend, FOMO is always going to be there when a configuration is changed.