Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not enough sales pressure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accompanied my friend to a Tesla service center where he ordered his Model 3 with the help of a very kind and well-informed sales person. She helped with all the documentation, drivers license image, and all of that.

What she did not do was inform him that his car would not have homelink, a 14-50 charging adapter, or audio cables. Perhaps it was my experience when all these accessories were included that surprised me when she failed to suggest any of them.

my friend truly enjoyed the sales process, since there was no haggling or sales pressure. But I thought the sales process should have included some information as to what the car included and what is not included. Had I not mentioned it to him, I think my friend would have been disappointedThat he could not charge his car, open his garage door, or charge his phone.

14-50 is not required to charge the car. If you need that specific cable you can buy one on Telsa's website.
Homelink is a paid option now, clearly priced on Telsa's website.
Telsa's optional wireless charging pad is the 2020 way of charging a phone and can be bought on their website or use the cables that come with your phone plugged into USB ports like most cars.

These are minor bits and pieces which you can buy yourself if you want them. I would rather things like this be priced separately so the car can be priced as low as possible and I am sure you friend is as well.

Did you notice no front frunk mat anymore as well. Doubt your friend cared about that either.

Why should a sales person say what does not come with the car?

I accompanied my friend to a Tesla service center where he ordered his Model 3 with the help of a very kind and well-informed sales person. She helped with all the documentation, drivers license image, and all of that.

What she did not do was inform him that his car would not have homelink, a 14-50 charging adapter, or audio cables. Perhaps it was my experience when all these accessories were included that surprised me when she failed to suggest any of them.

my friend truly enjoyed the sales process, since there was no haggling or sales pressure. But I thought the sales process should have included some information as to what the car included and what is not included. Had I not mentioned it to him, I think my friend would have been disappointedThat he could not charge his car, open his garage door, or charge his phone.

Good Grief. Now we have heard everything.

Not enough sales pressure? I don't see the relevance of the title to your post wherein you suggest a salesperson failed to impart information. That has nothing to do with sales pressure.

1) Your friend can charge his car. At home. With the supplied Tesla 120v charger.
2) Your friend can open his garage door. With a garage door opener supplied with the garage opener head unit.
3) Your friend can charge his phone by purchasing a USB charging cable...like most buyers.

It's a buyer's responsibility to look at the list of features in a car he/she is buying, and decide if the car suits his/her needs. If a feature isn't listed, then it's a buyer's responsibility to ask if it's available. To suggest a salesperson is responsible to read a buyer's mind and provide a laundry list of features not included is ridiculous on its face.

Last edited:

Wait until your friend finds out about the spare tire!!

So many buyers do not intend to use a 14-50 plug to charge their cars. They are using a wall mount charger, a 120V source or Supercharging. Makes sense for Tesla to let owners buy only the adaptors they will actually use. They are not that expensive, but with the huge volume that Tesla is now producing, just including them with every car they make adds up.

It is understandable that buyers will want everything included, but on the other hand, Tesla needs to be practical as well.

Not everyone has an electronic garage door opener, or needs one in their car. For a long time people have used a simple clicker fob that they can carry with, keep in car or move from car to car. Homelink is just kind of a luxury for many. Keeping prices down is essential for Tesla to expand their market.

As for charging a phone, Tesla includes USB charging ports in all their cars. Owners simply need to provide a cable for their specific phone. Again, a wireless charging pad is a luxury that is available from many 3rd party suppliers.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Sherlo
14-50 is not required to charge the car. If you need that specific cable you can buy one on Telsa's website.
Homelink is a paid option now, clearly priced on Telsa's website.
Telsa's optional wireless charging pad is the 2020 way of charging a phone and can be bought on their website or use the cables that come with your phone plugged into USB ports like most cars.

These are minor bits and pieces which you can buy yourself if you want them. I would rather things like this be priced separately so the car can be priced as low as possible and I am sure you friend is as well.

Did you notice no front frunk mat anymore as well. Doubt your friend cared about that either.

Why should a sales person say what does not come with the car?

I think the delivery person should help people know how to charge their car. When I got my car I couldn't charge it because my building uses a non standard port that isn't even in the adaptors that Tesla sells. Which is whatever. I ordered the adaptor I needed from amazon. I got home on a very cold night with about 20% battery. There was a message on the screen that said the battery charge would drop if the battery cools down. So I rush and park and try to plug it in and boom holy *sugar* I needed a 14-50 adaptor too?? I then had to rush to a supercharger before the battery cooled down and got there with 7% charge and let it charge while eating dinner at a panera. I then ordered it from Tesla and had to wait a week for it to get delivered which required me charging at a super charger every day.

It's not the end of the world or anything but I think a little more time should be spent on teaching people how to charge or making sure people have what they need because it could have all been avoided.

So many buyers do not intend to use a 14-50 plug to charge their cars. They are using a wall mount charger, a 120V source or Supercharging. Makes sense for Tesla to let owners buy only the adaptors they will actually use. They are not that expensive, but with the huge volume that Tesla is now producing, just including them with every car they make adds up.

It is understandable that buyers will want everything included, but on the other hand, Tesla needs to be practical as well.

Not everyone has an electronic garage door opener, or needs one in their car. For a long time people have used a simple clicker fob that they can carry with, keep in car or move from car to car. Homelink is just kind of a luxury for many. Keeping prices down is essential for Tesla to expand their market.
I agree with you about the plug for charging, I plan on using a wall connector.

For the garage door opener, I got that included on the BMW 330i I bought in 2005 and the 228i I bought in 2016. Tesla is known for it's tech so I assumed a Tesla that was options loaded would have it included.

I kinda think you guys are being a bit rough on the OP, tbh.

It really would be nice for the sales reps to make sure new owners are familiar with exactly what the car includes, as well as popular quality-of-life options they're going to need to consider.

I don't know if more "sales pressure" is correct, though, more like more "sales information."

A couple of you guys actually proved the OP's point that they need to do more of this, as you didn't know that some of the stuff the OP talked about used to actually be included with the car. ;)

A couple of you guys actually proved the OP's point that they need to do more of this, as you didn't know that some of the stuff the OP talked about used to actually be included with the car. ;)

If they know what "used to be included with the car" it means they are doing research. Anyone who spends 50k without doing any research has more money than they know what to do with apparently.

This is also not how business is done. You focus on the positives and what is included when selling anything. You do not focus on the negatives and tell people what they are not getting. Sales 101, do not scare your buyer away before you make the sale.

If they know what "used to be included with the car" it means they are doing research. Anyone who spends 50k without doing any research has more money than they know what to do with apparently.

This is also not how business is done. You focus on the positives and what is included when selling anything. You do not focus on the negatives and tell people what they are not getting. Sales 101, do not scare your buyer away before you make the sale.
That's easy to fix... rather than tell people what isn't included, you say, "you might want to consider getting a couple of USB cables to charge your phone" instead of, "yeah... the car doesn't come with that." And, "we do offer a tire inflation kit." That covers the fact that it doesn't come with a spare tire, or an inflation kit, and offers the customer a chance to get one. Kinda obvious stuff, really.

And my statement wasn't meant for those of us that research cars, but more for the OP's friend, who didn't know the first thing about what the car came with, etc., before purchasing.

To add to this, a 14-50 isn't the most useful (US) outlet to install in a garage as it is used mainly for ovens. Many people might prefer the outlet used for a welder (also 50A), or even a clothes washer (usually 30A). I originally installed a 14-50 outlet because that was the best option as my car included that plug, now I have HPWC's at both houses.

As for charging a phone, Tesla includes USB charging ports in all their cars. Owners simply need to provide a cable for their specific phone. Again, a wireless charging pad is a luxury that is available from many 3rd party suppliers.

I think the delivery person should help people know how to charge their car. When I got my car I couldn't charge it because my building uses a non standard port that isn't even in the adaptors that Tesla sells. Which is whatever. I ordered the adaptor I needed from amazon. I got home on a very cold night with about 20% battery. There was a message on the screen that said the battery charge would drop if the battery cools down. So I rush and park and try to plug it in and boom holy *sugar* I needed a 14-50 adaptor too?? I then had to rush to a supercharger before the battery cooled down and got there with 7% charge and let it charge while eating dinner at a panera. I then ordered it from Tesla and had to wait a week for it to get delivered which required me charging at a super charger every day.

It's not the end of the world or anything but I think a little more time should be spent on teaching people how to charge or making sure people have what they need because it could have all been avoided.
What non-standard port? Tesla makes all these adapters: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Totally agree they should make some effort to go over charging options. Explain what can and cannot be done, let the buyer know other adapters exist for separate purchase, etc...
Unfortunately it is even worse buying an electric car from other dealers that sell ICE cars primarily, most of the sales staff is clueless about charging, tax rebates, etc..
Electric cars are still in infancy ; education needs to be done by the buyer currently. No one wants to pay for educating the public properly on these.

They should also stock and sell Home Chargers at the showrooms!

I and many others needed one quickly... Telsa's website is vague on timing and known for delays and for East Coast people is a week away even if shipped same day. That leads us to buying from private parties and the like. Amazon even sells them at a few hundred dollar premium showing how needed this is.

But that is all a totally separate conversation from the OP's.
Expecting a sales person to go into a list of things not included ; i.e. reasons to not buy the car is something that makes no sense.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 97