Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes , I would prefer they put in two .
Batemans Bay - out of action on Sunday. I phoned the number - and it eventally answered ,and mentioned they had received a number of calls about it.

I has used it on Friday night ok, but on Sunday it just had a lit up padlock showing. The lady asked me to press the emergency button while she tried to re-boot it but it wouldnt re-boot. It was showing active on her end, so she lodged another support ticket - I guess with Tritium?

She also took my number and said she would let me know when it was fixed, and if she does , I will report back here.

• Informative
Reactions: Nickdp and baillies
This one was just added to Plugshare by the official NRMA user. It wasn't even on their "coming soon" map, nor has it appeared on their official map yet!

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

upload_2020-5-13_9-27-57.png

Reactions: Vostok and ARMARM
I note Hay is now back online. The Hume seems to be well served now, time to move out a bit, maybe the A32 out to Broken Hill? Also perhaps duplicate some of the more remote chargers.

There were many remote locations spotted in council documents as noted in my post here: NRMA to build Australia's largest fast charging network

But also since then, there has been evidence of one planned for Wilcannia: https://www.centraldarling.nsw.gov....per-25-March-2020-Public-with-attachments.pdf

It's unlikely they'd put one out there by itself, so it seems to be a very strong hint that they'll do Nyngan, Cobar, Broken Hill etc.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
I asked Chargefox what the status of this station is, given that in December it looked like construction was complete but since then, nothing. Pleasingly, they were very forthcoming.

They said Karuah was ready the weekend prior to Christmas and they had everyone coordinated to be on site on Sunday 22nd for the opening. But then the power company canceled at 11pm Saturday due to the bushfire emergency.

They said the lead times in rebooking the power company meant opening has been pushed back to March. I assume grid restoration work takes priority over this. Chargefox should have the exact opening date soon.
Karuah is still not operational. Latest advice from Chargefox is that Ausgrid has cancelled for the third time to power this site so the timing is now out to the end of June.

• Informative
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
What plugs do the NRMA chargers use? I have yet to use anything other than Tesla, and the several million different ones leave me baffled even after reading several "explanations"!

I might have to use an extra-Tesla charger this month and have no idea whether the adapter that came with the Model S is any use for NRMA..

>>If you have an older S then you will need the internal charger upgrade as well as the physical adapter from Tesla to CCS2. I haven't jumped for mine yet but will do soon - I like redundancy in road trips. Pity is that most NRMA sites only have one charger.<<

Mine's a 2020, and the supplied adapter with the ugly underside socket attached seems to be the CCS2 gizmo, TG.

What plugs do the NRMA chargers use? I have yet to use anything other than Tesla, and the several million different ones leave me baffled even after reading several "explanations"!

I might have to use an extra-Tesla charger this month and have no idea whether the adapter that came with the Model S is any use for NRMA..

Almost every 50kW charger in Australia uses CCS2 and CHAdeMO. Your adapter (unless it's the enormous one the size of a house cat) would be CCS2. It's the best one to have, as it can run at substantially faster charging speeds than CHAdeMO.

Some 50kW chargers use CCS1 and CHAdeMO (Fairy Meadow, Tuggeranong, Canberra Airport Vibe Hotel, and a few others). They're utterly useless. The only cars that use CCS1 are early model BMW i3's. A tiny handful of cars. Most CCS1 car owners would have since bought a CCS2 adapter, so it's past time for those plugs to get swapped over. Fortunately the three above are close enough to CCS2 chargers (Shell Cove Chargefox, Fyshwick Chargefox, Canberra Airport Supercharger).

All 350kW chargers use CCS2 and CHAdeMO. They're fantastic units. Made in Australia. Chargefox costs basically the same as a Supercharger. Evie Networks charges slightly more.

I'm not fussed at paying a little more for Evie. They're building chargers at more obscure mid-way locations, half-way between Superchargers & Chargefox. Tarcutta (between Gundagai and Barnawatha North). Taree (between Newcastle and Port Macquarie), Also, they're building one at Seven Hills (Abbott Road, right where the M2 ends and near enough to the first M7 on-ramp), which is a great spot as, unlike Macquarie Park, you don't have to pay a second toll when you rejoin the M2. Besides, I want competition in the market.

NRMA chargers are a fantastic draw to regional drives. I took a road trip to Moree in an SR+ recently, mostly using NRMA chargers, plus a destination charge at Moree itself. I didn't have to wait at Hunter Valley Gardens/Pokolbin (which has 2 stalls) or Gunnedah (1 stall in a really disappointing location - though it's right at the back entrance to Aldi). Just plan your trip and check PlugShare every single time you set off to someplace isolated. And check in yourself, so the next person can have a little more confidence that it's working.

I also took a slight detour to Tamworth NRMA (1 stall) on the way there. As I wandered back, I found I was delaying someone in another Model 3, and it was his first time trying a non-Tesla charger. Funnily enough we ran into each other again while charging at the Hollydene Estate/Jerrys Plains Supercharger 4 days later.

Once you're confident, if you think the next person is unfamiliar with third party chargers, linger and help them out. I've done it a few times. Some NRMA chargers need to be rebooted occasionally (unplug, re-seat the plug, push in the red button, wait 10 seconds, twist and release the red button, wait 30-60 seconds, replug and try charging again). Some of the Chargefox chargers can also be rebooted locally. Alas Shell Cove can't be, and it desperately and repeatedly needed to be rebooted on its opening weekend when it lost comms with its billing system for around half an hour at a time & wouldn't initiate a charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman