Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll be a 50kW unit then - if the CHAdeMO was plugged in each side would have had 25kW.

Those RTM75s configured a 50kW do seem to be able to get a lot closer to 50kW actual at a range of SOCs than the RT50s do - I assume because the RT50s are limited to 125A regardless of the battery voltage, whereas the RTM75 can push more current at lower voltage to some degree.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
This news story seems to have appeared across a range of regional newspaper websites:

I guess it means those remaining sites are now live?

MAY 2 2022 - 2:51PM

Sydney to NSW outback possible in EV

Electric cars can now go from Sydney to Broken Hill after a network of fast chargers was completed.

Drivers can now travel from Sydney to the NSW outback in electric vehicles after the final piece of the network of fast chargers along the Barrier Highway was switched on.

Transport for NSW and the NRMA are also providing electric chargers for other routes connecting NSW with Victoria, Queensland and South Australia.

NSW Deputy Premier Paul Toole said the chargers at Wilcannia and Cobar in the far west now form part of the 20 sites rolling out across the regions.

It's part of a $3 million partnership between the NSW government and the NRMA to deliver the country's biggest network of EV charging stations.

Chargers are now operating along the Barrier Highway, at Wilcannnia, Cobar, Dubbo, Parkes, Orange and Lithgow.

"It means drivers travel no more than 300km to recharge their vehicles when making the 1000km journey between Sydney and Broken Hill," Mr Toole said on Monday.

Fast chargers can charge a vehicle in 30 minutes and are located in the heart of each country town.

"These charging stations are transforming the way EV drivers move around, helping to support tourism in regional centres along the Barrier, New England, Sturt, Hume, Newell and Kamilaroi highways," he said.

When the network is completed by 2023, most EV drivers will be no more than 150km from a charging station.

EV drivers will be able to travel to Broken Hill, Moree and Bourke, and link up with major routes in Queensland, Victoria and South Australia.

Energy Minister Matt Kean said the government was co-investing a further $171 million in charging infrastructure "so drivers can be confident they can drive their EVs whenever and wherever they want to".

This news story seems to have appeared across a range of regional newspaper websites:

I guess it means those remaining sites are now live?
Yeah there's been successful check-ins at Wilcannia back to April 22.

Can you update your spreadsheet so ABRP picks them up? I was going to set some wingnut straight in the comments on the article but was stymied by ABRP not having it yet!

Reactions: Hairyman
Done! Unfortunately ABRP doesn't update until 11am/midday AEST

Can confirm as of this afternoon ABRP can now route Sydney to Broken Hill.

Have to admit that the gaps between Dubbo - Cobar - Willcania are a tad daunting though, especially in an SR and with only a single stall at each site. Hopefully the "cold spare" can be switched on by a call to NRMA or something.

I guess they can add Nyngan to close that gap (and make Bourke easier), but there's not really much between Cobar and Willcania.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Chuq
The single-stall 50kW charger at Mittagong RSL was farcical on Sunday morning. I was in Braemar and thought I'd swing past, just to see how bad it was. And it was bad. 2x Model 3's and a BMW i3 bad.
This message really belongs in this thread. Mittagong should never have been a single-stall, and the new Evie chargers at Sutton Forest northbound Maccas can't come online soon enough!

This message really belongs in this thread. Mittagong should never have been a single-stall, and the new Evie chargers at Sutton Forest northbound Maccas can't come online soon enough!
When it first opened (in October 2018, well before Model 3 deliveries started) I'm sure it was very sufficient.

I suspect they actually had power limitations because other early NRMA sites (Newcastle, Hunter Valley and Jindabyne) were all doubles.

But one of the main issues is that no-one (other than Evie at a few sites) seem to be considering expansion. Even all the recent government funding has been for single or double sites in suburban areas.

I can easily see those without home charging having to drive between multiple sites to find an empty one on a regular basis in coming years.

Reactions: Maximillan
But unless people install something other than CCS2/CHAdeMO machines, it practically means 2 for 90+% of EV drivers.

As far as I have been able to glean, the only requirement as outlined in the Round 1 Funding Agreement is that “Charging bays are expected to be equipped with FCAI recommended DC charging types, which is either CHAdeMO or CCS Type 2”.

So there is no requirement to support both. A site with 4 x CCS2 would still be eligible.

It would be up to the Charge Point Operators to decide what plugs to put on their sites. Given the predominance of CCS2 capable vehicles, basic economic return for their investment will probably result in them not wanting to prevent the possibility of four CCS2 cars all being able to charge simultaneously.