Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The poor charger at Bathurst is out of action for a bit...

1269885.jpg

412537865_10231148008901184_502260905575743643_n.jpg

NRMA have accidentally commented on the Tesla Supercharger PlugShare listing;
Hi all, This location will be offline 22nd Dec 2023 until further notice due to charger damage. Please check the status of nearby chargers when planning your route. We are sorry for the inconvenience
A bit of insight from Facebook
A friend sent me this photo this morning. He was using one of the adjacent Tesla chargers when a dude showed up and this was his handiwork. He was reversing up to it when he gassed it a bit to get up the gutter drain, and just banged it over. There is no conspiracy, or vandalism involved.

The "new" naming convention on PlugShare is absolute rubbish, especially for sites close to each other like the NRMA / SC site at Bathurst. People regularly pick the wrong site to check into, and even "those who should know better" put comments on the wrong site 🤦‍♂️

The poor charger at Bathurst is out of action for a bit...

View attachment 1002020
View attachment 1002021

A bit of insight from Facebook
Timely Evie opening then

Reactions: B3AU
Without wanting to trigger a "which is better" argument, is there an adapter plug that lets chademo cars plug into CCS/CCS2 plugs? The latter seems to have evolved as the standard in Oz.

The US version of the tesla plugs is a lot smaller/sleeker than the CCS(2) plugs we have, I wonder why that didn't transfer? Don't know what they use in Europe.

The US version of the tesla plugs is a lot smaller/sleeker than the CCS(2) plugs we have, I wonder why that didn't transfer? Don't know what they use in Europe.
The answer is “3 phase power” and Europe uses the same as us (since they have a roughly similar 3 phase system as us). Tesla connector only has 1 phase, hence they can reuse the live pins for AC or DC.

Without wanting to trigger a "which is better" argument, is there an adapter plug that lets chademo cars plug into CCS/CCS2 plugs? The latter seems to have evolved as the standard in Oz.

CCS2 to CHAdeMO adaptors don’t exist.

CHAdeMO to CCS2 adaptors exist, but they are very expensive. However it is much, much harder to go in the other direction, for a variety of reasons.

So much so that no-one makes them.

Don't know what they use in Europe.

Europe uses CCS2 for DC charging and has mandated that for a number of years now. Tesla in Europe, prior to adoption of CCS2, used the modified Type 2 plug like they did here for S/X, so that they could support 3-phase AC power. The Tesla proprietary connector is only used in USA, Canada, Japan and Korea.

Nice find, but it's a prototype, and so I would still rate that as "don't exist" because unless they become commercially available, then it's a lab experiment.

Note I didn't say CCS2 to CHAdeMO adaptors are impossible, just very difficult to make and get working, as reinforced by this video.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Have they (BYD) given any indication or gotten anywhere resolving this?

I think they were blaming tesla at first, but now it’s another brand as well seems to point towards the car having a peculiarity in a part of the protocol.

Doesn’t seem to affect the dolphin or seal though.