Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the underlying cost of energy going up and price fixed rates not qualifying for subsidy surely Go and any other variable fixed rates are likely to end up being useless in the near future?
based on the previous price cap predications the day rate will end up being £1+ per kwh by April so even if the night is still 7.5p somehow what would be the point?
apparently not .. check out today's news

The announced price freeze today is at about 35p until 2024. The variable will not go above 35p until 2024. April prediction will not apply to households.

To note, Go is a fixed. The 40/7.5 or 8.25 is fixed for 12 months.

Also to add, NOW THIS IS WILD! According to Martin Lewis below, anyone currently on a fixed tariff will also have a 30% reduction to their tariff. That would imply the Go 40p will become 28p, making it cheaper than even the new frozen variable at 35p. This is huge news for anyone currently fixed.

If true, anyone on Go now will end up on 28/7.5 or 8.25 instead of 40/7.5 or 8.25.

To add to this news, if true, Go's peak rate maybe even less than 28p, we maybe looking at 25p when the reductions come in.

Its not 30% reduction, its the same rate per pound reduction.

The announced price freeze today is at about 35p until 2024. The variable will not go above 35p until 2024. April prediction will not apply to households.

Also to add, NOW THIS IS WILD! According to Martin Lewis below, anyone currently on a fixed tariff will also have a 30% reduction to their tariff. That would imply the Go 40p will become 28p, making it cheaper than even the new frozen variable at 35p. This is huge news for anyone currently fixed.

If true, anyone on Go now will end up on 28/7.5 or 8.25 instead of 40/7.5 or 8.25.

Wow! This is extremely good if it applies. 🤞

It's pointless asking just yet, as per the announcement on their website

1662654087432.png

Reactions: Danny_F
Typical, car didn’t start charging !! And got a long trip today.
Has to start it manually and now octopus has scheduled cheaper rate up to 10am.
Anyone come across this before ??
I've frequently been given slots upto 11am as have the charged by time set to 11am when working from home. Even when plugged in at or around 5pm the day before.

I have plugged in at 8am after a night drive in the past and been allowed to charge up to 11am.on cheap slots.

I suspect Octopus will be as flexible as they can so long as people don't try and play the system all the time.

Reactions: browellm
he announced price freeze today is at about 35p until 2024. The variable will not go above 35p until 2024. April prediction will not apply to households.

I was not really meaning now I was meaning in about 6 months so in my example the go day rate would go up to £1 per kwh but 30% off is then still 70p. So its good for anyone on Go now or signing up now but I still don't see how go will work in a few months time. Mine expires in March. But if they are offering 30% off maybe I should re sign now?. mind you I am currently on go faster at 13.7/4.5p so -30% will be 9.57/3.15 then. That would be nice :)
but if they are talking the same unit rate reduction by pence not % that would put me at minus something I think????

Last edited:
Reactions: Darreno
I'd be surprised if Go is counted as "fixed" tariff. Yes, the rate is fixed for 12 months, but it's not a "normal" tariff in any way. We can hope though.
I don't see why not, there's almost no difference between Go and any of the multi-rate "economy 7" tariffs that have been available since the 70s. The night rate is a bit lower and shorter, but that's about it. Flex is a different kettle of fish, but Go should be covered if they are indeed going to reduce existing fixed plans, which seems a bit odd to me, as the money (that they are magically pulling from thin air) would surely be better used discounting further to low income families or small business that can't afford even the 35p/kwh.

I was not really meaning now I was meaning in about 6 months so in my example the go day rate would go up to £1 per kwh but 30% off is then still 70p. So its good for anyone on Go now or signing up now but I still don't see how go will work in a few months time. Mine expires in March. But if they are offering 30% off maybe I should re sign now?. mind you I am currently on go faster at 13.7/4.5p so -30% will be 9.57/3.15 then. That would be nice :)
but if they are talking the same unit rate reduction by pence not % that would put me at minus something I think????

I would anticipate the fixed Go tariff peak will be a lot more expensive than 40p after October. It seems the current support package is for people currently in fixed deals and the variable rate.

I would anticipate the fixed Go tariff peak will be a lot more expensive than 40p after October. It seems the current support package is for people currently in fixed deals and the variable rate.
I agree it may go up but why October? why is Go's day rate in any way linked to the changing price cap surely it should be linked to what Octopus are paying for wholesale energy and what they can afford to sell it at and make a profit or what they can get away with charging and still have people sign up ( delete as applicable depending on how altruistic you think they are)

I agree it may go up but why October? why is Go's day rate in any way linked to the changing price cap surely it should be linked to what Octopus are paying for wholesale energy and what they can afford to sell it at and make a profit or what they can get away with charging and still have people sign up ( delete as applicable depending on how altruistic you think they are)
My posts are about the support coming and people currently on fixed deals, I have nothing to add on speculating Octopus fixed tariffs after Oct. Ultimately we have no idea how fixed tariffs will look after Oct. It would be nice to hold rates where it is so people with expiring rates can keep costs down on renewal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71

What about Intelligent? From what I understand that is also fixed (mine is until next year).