Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any alternatives to Octopus?
There's not a convenient one-size-fits-all answer to that question because it depends how much you personally can load shift into the off-peak period, whether you have solar, whether you have a battery etc.

There are some interesting E7 tariffs around right now, especially from the likes of EDF (but the rates vary insanely by region) which if you had solar, might make sense with an export tariff.

T
Just received an email from Octopus. As expected they’re saying the combined rate is below the 34p cap from the government. What’s annoying is their claim that they’re not allowed to apply any reduction. They should have discounted the day rate or at the very least gone back to the 5p off peak rate.
What makes you think that? The off peak ocst is outrageously cheap compared to what most people are having to pay. It already is a loss-leader for Octopus, but you want to make it an even bigger loss maker?

Reactions: Obie
I've asked to move to a late go faster window if its possible. I am getting a battery but it'll be 'whenever' at this rate (waiting on DNO, everything is so slow), and it'll be sized to manage my regular usage. If I use ufh/A2A for heating as an experiment I'd like to 'preheat' through to 6:30 to take the edge off the cost (I'll also monitor kwh)

5H with a 0.75p/unit vs 6 hours IO (I never really needed the random extra slots and with a battery its actually a pain point as any demand during those slots will likely drain the battery)

I wonder if Octopus will be able to keep offering Go/IO as the wholesale price rises? They are obliged for the duration of people's fixed contract but renewal isn't guaranteed. By the time the blended rate reaches the 34p cap there will be no point in being on Go, may as well stay on a variable tarrif with the same cap, I can't see how this won't happen.
It's a difficult time to be creative with electricity pricing without making a loss in this market. There really needs to be a time of use incentive mechanism, but the cap doesn't have such a concept.

Reactions: Jason71
5% off Electric Juice / Universe is better than a poke in the eye I guess. To be fair it's a very competitive rate
My email stated 8%?

Attachments

• DE168BE1-92E8-422B-B13F-F936D56D8F49.png
    DE168BE1-92E8-422B-B13F-F936D56D8F49.png
    531.9 KB · Views: 59
Fixed since 30th August
We charged to 80% overnight last night, drove son to school and back (45min round trip, not just down the road), went down to 77%, just checked and it's on 74% now having been sat on the drive since 8.30am.
The charger is not connected, so does that mean the IO API polling drain point is moot here or could it be to blame?
I do have Sentry mode on (although it's not being activated), perhaps that's the reason? I should add I've not seen it drain this noticeably on other days.
Thanks

We charged to 80% overnight last night, drove son to school and back (45min round trip, not just down the road), went down to 77%, just checked and it's on 74% now having been sat on the drive since 8.30am.
The charger is not connected, so does that mean the IO API polling drain point is moot here or could it be to blame?
I do have Sentry mode on (although it's not being activated), perhaps that's the reason? I should add I've not seen it drain this noticeably on other days.
Thanks
Yes that's due to Sentry mode, it would hide the effect of any polling from IO. The car is either awake (in which case it loses some power) or asleep. Sentry keeps it awake, polling from an App may also keep a car awake.

Ah fair enough thanks @GRiLLA - I will turn it off for now.
I don't really want to add in the home address as an exclusion for Sentry Mode (I believe I saw that as an option somewhere) as I would like it on at night, but it would be nice to be able to schedule Sentry mode one day.

I wonder if Octopus will be able to keep offering Go/IO as the wholesale price rises? They are obliged for the duration of people's fixed contract but renewal isn't guaranteed. By the time the blended rate reaches the 34p cap there will be no point in being on Go, may as well stay on a variable tarrif with the same cap, I can't see how this won't happen.
It's a difficult time to be creative with electricity pricing without making a loss in this market. There really needs to be a time of use incentive mechanism, but the cap doesn't have such a concept.

the only way for it to make sense for you as a consumer is for you to adjust your consumption so your personal blended rate is still below 34p, pushing more and more usage into the off peak period. At some point that becomes increasingly difficult

Thanks
sentry mode could just about account for 3% in 7 hours but it might not be the only culprit. Some may be down to the fact that it is a cold day. The battery has cooled down since you parked it and that has caused the voltage to drop. That alone can make a 3% difference between the end of an evening charging session and getting in the next morning during the winter. If its that then you get it back when the battery warms up of course

Reactions: _Dave_
I know this thread is for Octopus electricity tariffs but for anyone using their gas tariffs, please check today.

I just looked and mine is now set at the incorrect uncapped rate (first image), not the lower rate as confirmed by their automated mail from Greg Jackson last week (second image).

I have emailed & tweeted them to correct this asap

Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 07.20.29.png
Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 07.21.43.png

Last edited:
I know this thread is for Octopus electricity tariffs but for anyone using their gas tariffs, please check today.

I just looked and mine is now set at the incorrect uncapped rate, not the lower rate as confirmed by their automated mail from Greg Jackson last week.

I have emailed & tweeted them to correct this asap

View attachment 858761View attachment 858762
Mine too. Hopefully this is a quirk of the system, or a glitch, and they won’t use it for billing. But I’ve sent them an email to check.

Thanks for pointing it out.