Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an instance of Octopus not stopping the charge this evening. Plugged in at 17:35 with 84% SoC, car continued to charge for 52 mins adding 4.72kWh and stopping at the target 90%. Only realised when the Tesla app notified me it had finished charging. Octopus charging schedule lists 0030-0100 for tonight’s charge. Hopefully this is billed at the lower rate.

Had an instance of Octopus not stopping the charge this evening. Plugged in at 17:35 with 84% SoC, car continued to charge for 52 mins adding 4.72kWh and stopping at the target 90%. Only realised when the Tesla app notified me it had finished charging. Octopus charging schedule lists 0030-0100 for tonight’s charge. Hopefully this is billed at the lower rate.
Nope, it'll cost you the full whack.

Set your off peak charging like in this post Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go and it won't do it again.

That's how to stop it charging after 5.30am unless kick-started by IO.

To stop it charging when plugged in at peak times is the only way to log in to the Tesla app and stop charge manually each time?
No, it stops it charging when you plug it in. The car does a calculation to see when it needs to start charging to complete by 05:30, and if it can start closer to 05:30 then it won’t start immediately.

IO will then start/stop charges itself based on the schedule it produces.

Reactions: Toblerone
All this faff is why I’ve switched back to Go
And why I’m staying with Go rather than IO. As long as you don’t need more than the 4hrs per night (and I probably don’t use the 4hrs in a week due to my ridiculously short commute) then it seems far more hassle and insecurity / checking it’s doing what it’s meant to, than it’s worth IMHO.

And why I’m staying with Go rather than IO. As long as you don’t need more than the 4hrs per night (and I probably don’t use the 4hrs in a week due to my ridiculously short commute) then it seems far more hassle and insecurity / checking it’s doing what it’s meant to, than it’s worth IMHO.
I have a 100 mile commute and use the whole 5 hours of Go Faster in the winter months. Still not jumping to Intelligent just yet, though, because it seems very much in Beta and quite a few kinks to iron out at the moment.
I’m following developments with interest, though, and if they ever bring Powerwall integration to Inyelligent Octopus then I may make the switch.

Because they need to set the app to prefer off peak charging 😯
So what you're saying is with off peak charging set to on, the car won't pull a charge when plugged in in the evening because the car will seek to only charge off peak?

No idea what Tesla refers to as off peak as only the end time can be determined in the app, not the off peak start time.

So what you're saying is with off peak charging set to on, the car won't pull a charge when plugged in in the evening because the car will seek to only charge off peak?

No idea what Tesla refers to as off peak as only the end time can be determined in the app, not the off peak start time.
Yes!

And it’s all tied to scheduled departure, so it makes some sense when you think the car is aiming to have the charge completed at the latest possible time.

Reactions: Toblerone
Yes!

And it’s all tied to scheduled departure, so it makes some sense when you think the car is aiming to have the charge completed at the latest possible time.
Only issue with this technique in my situation is that IO is very generous and almost always gives me slots up until 8am in the morning. So I don't want to miss out on this 5.30-8.00 freebie.
Stopping the charge manually after plugging in only take a couple seconds. Or you can do the opposite and use the 'schedule charging' screen from 23.30 instead

For the most tech-savvy you can also create an automation that auto-stops the charge through Tessie/Shortcuts when getting home immediately after plugging-in that works fine too.

Only issue with this technique in my situation is that IO is very generous and almost always gives me slots up until 8am in the morning. So I don't want to miss out on this 5.30-8.00 freebie.
You still get the slots which are set by IO, just the car won’t charge after 0530 unless it hasn’t met its target %.

You can always set the end time later if you wish, but in reality my car is fully charged well before this time anyway so wouldn't make much difference.
Not sure if this will change going into winter (more charge needed and maybe different slots?)

Reactions: Skie and WllXM
You still get the slots which are set by IO, just the car won’t charge after 0530 unless it hasn’t met its target %.

You can always set the end time later if you wish, but in reality my car is fully charged well before this time anyway so wouldn't make much difference.
Not sure if this will change going into winter (more charge needed and maybe different slots?)
That's actually the question (I know I should probably read the manual).
If you set off-peak to 5.30am, will the car continue charging after that if it hasn't reached its target?
If so, then yes, that would be a good solution.

Obviously if IO gives me a slot until 9am one morning and I set a 90% target, I don't want to wake up to a 71% charged car because it stopped at 5.30 for off-peak instead.

If you set off-peak to 5.30am, will the car continue charging after that if it hasn't reached its target?

Obviously if IO gives me a slot until 9am one morning and I set a 90% target, I don't want to wake up to a 71% charged car because it stopped at 5.30 for off-peak instead.
The manual says it does continue if needed:

And @Skie says they’ve had this scenario

Joined Octopus Go yesterday (standard variable tariff until the switch is complete). Torn between Go & Intelligent. Does anyone have any experience of using Intelligent will an Easee One home charger?

Find Go much easier to get my head around but the extra hours on Intelligent is tempting

Yes it will always follow the IO schedule. I’ve had 8:30 slots before and charged just fine. Outside of IO land it will also keep charging until it hits its required SOC, but left to its own devices the car would have started earlier to ensure it hit it by your specified end time.

All IO is doing is just sending the exact same API request that you send when you hit the “start charge” button in the Tesla app, there isn’t anything fancy going on behind the scenes in that regard. It respects your target SOC, but not your schedules, which is great.

Make sure your Powerwalls are well charged as we could be getting scheduled blackouts this winter.

I should have my third Powewall by the end of November, and we will ride out any blackouts. 😃

Make sure your Powerwalls are well charged as we could be getting scheduled blackouts this winter.

I should have my third Powewall by the end of November, and we will ride out any blackouts. 😃
Mine will be here by November as well….2023 😩

• Funny
Reactions: _Dave_

Yes of course, especially when seeing where these articles are referenced from.

Reactions: _Dave_