Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the issue @Mustard K had though, IO did not stop the charge on initial plug in.
Correct, and it normally does stop the charge for me except this time it didn't. I disabled charge scheduling when I moved to IO and it has been reliable. Doesn't enabling schedule charging stop the random charges that octopus may decide to do on the car during peak hours? That was a perceived benefit for me as if I got a couple of half hours at the lower rate through the day every now and again it's money saved.

Might have to go back to the FAQ and read on it again...

Yes it will always follow the IO schedule. I’ve had 8:30 slots before and charged just fine. Outside of IO land it will also keep charging until it hits its required SOC, but left to its own devices the car would have started earlier to ensure it hit it by your specified end time.

All IO is doing is just sending the exact same API request that you send when you hit the “start charge” button in the Tesla app, there isn’t anything fancy going on behind the scenes in that regard. It respects your target SOC, but not your schedules, which is great.
Correct, and it normally does stop the charge for me except this time it didn't. I disabled charge scheduling when I moved to IO and it has been reliable. Doesn't enabling schedule charging stop the random charges that octopus may decide to do on the car during peak hours? That was a perceived benefit for me as if I got a couple of half hours at the lower rate through the day every now and again it's money saved.

Might have to go back to the FAQ and read on it again...
See @Skie 's explanation,seem sensible. Off peak charge means the car won't start the charge during the day, but will always listen to IO's instructions, even if those are peak hours.

Joined Octopus Go yesterday (standard variable tariff until the switch is complete). Torn between Go & Intelligent. Does anyone have any experience of using Intelligent will an Easee One home charger?

Find Go much easier to get my head around but the extra hours on Intelligent is tempting
I have an Easee. Currently on IO. If on IO leave the Easee as a dumb charger so IO can pull whenever it wants.

If on Go, just set schedule on the Easee and it will give charge to the car within them times.

Reactions: PedroM3RWD
I have a 100 mile commute and use the whole 5 hours of Go Faster in the winter months. Still not jumping to Intelligent just yet, though, because it seems very much in Beta and quite a few kinks to iron out at the moment.
I’m following developments with interest, though, and if they ever bring Powerwall integration to Inyelligent Octopus then I may make the switch.
Wire the car charger on the grid side bus in the gateway2. Car can charge from the grid with IO at the same time as the house running on the powerwall, both not connected together. Unless you want solar to charge the car.

Wire the car charger on the grid side bus in the gateway2. Car can charge from the grid with IO at the same time as the house running on the powerwall, both not connected together. Unless you want solar to charge the car.
That’s interesting but yes, I do prefer to be able to charge the car from solar or from the solar-filled powerwalls in the summer…

Reactions: Darreno
Anyone else finding IO doesn't charge to 100%? It's not often I need to charge to 100% but when I do I always find it stops charging at around 97-98%. I know from seeing the schedule that there isn't enough time for it to reach 100%. Usually I manually charge it in those instances but bit annoying IO can't do it.

I like IO - Snap shot from my bill for a day in Sept

IO Octo.JPG

Tonights schedule

Screenshot_20221007-124313.png

Reactions: browellm
I'm still trying to piece together IO - I'm only a week in.

For a couple of nights it seems to have worked. But take tonight. I plugged in at 6.30pm and immediately went to the app to stop the charge.

I check at 8.30pm and it has added 10kW during the peak hours.

I'm not ruling out messing something up, but any help would be welome.

Are you on Android perchance?

This does my nut in. I cannot fathom how Android users get these amazing schedules right through the day. You would think it's entirely server driven, but there's a definite difference between Android and iOS in this regard.

Also are you using a low powered charger?

Yep that's all I have
I was going to say correlation does not equal causation, but realised I was wrong.

Android user won’t pay for an iPhone or a wall charger. Cheap electric most of the day is their reward 🤣🤣🤣

No offence intended @davidmc 😉

Octopus said it expected to pay an average of 4 pounds ($4.46) for every unit saved during the specific timeframes from November to March 2023, which could allow customers to save around 100 pounds over the course of the winter.

Reactions: Skie