Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t rule out the price capped Economy 7. I’ve run my consumption data for the last 3 years and also just for the last year.

• Clear Winner: Intelligent Octopus
  • Octopus Flexible Economy 7 (Price Capped) +5%
  • Octopus Go +10%
  • Octopus Flexible (Price Capped) +20%

Not sure I’m ready for the nuances of IO so Economy 7 is probably where I’ll go when my fix ends.

I wouldn’t rule out the price capped Economy 7. I’ve run my consumption data for the last 3 years and also just for the last year.
  • Octopus Go +10%

Not sure I’m ready for the nuances of IO so Economy 7 is probably where I’ll go when my fix ends.
You mean IO at a previous tariff. Not sure that now at 44p peak / 10p off-peak it's such a clear winner.

Also, wholesale prices seem to be coming down a lot. I'm regularly looking at their Agile product (not the prime choice for EV owners but can be interesting if you have a higher house usage than EV charge).
Basically sells electricity at the spot price (x2) for every half-hour.
The average is around 20p/kWh this week, with some lows at 6p and highs around 38p.

But you can get badly burned as the cap which used to be 35p is now 78p....

Check it out here Octopus Agile London - Energy Stats UK

I used the latest prices for all tariffs. 10p for IO. 12p for Go. 17p for E7. Just the way my data landed.

Virtually all tariffs are 44p (region dependent) on-peak without the cap.

you don't need to treat IO as that complex just make sure its scheduled a charge when hyou need it. For the rest of the house you can just use the 6 hours you have available. The gap between IO and Eco7 not that big and I assume enough for Octopus to be getting some value for the demand management side of things

• Octopus Go +10%

is there a quick way to do this? I can't seem to find a way to download an entire year's bills from octopus, but I did eventually get one year's worth by combining 12 individual months. That'll do for an estimate. But how to split out current usage (I am bouncing around too - was on Go, then IO now on Faster so the hours change and I'd want to check all options)

After replacing my gen2 wall connector with a gen 3, test charge complete on intelligent octopus. Now I’ve got it back and signed in, I’d switch the Tesla back over to scheduled charging and override the octopus app and schedules. Basically so I can see my costs and charge times on one app, the Tesla one rather than faffing about with the octopus app.

Has there been any updates in the past couple of years that mean this now won’t work?

After replacing my gen2 wall connector with a gen 3, test charge complete on intelligent octopus. Now I’ve got it back and signed in, I’d switch the Tesla back over to scheduled charging and override the octopus app and schedules. Basically so I can see my costs and charge times on one app, the Tesla one rather than faffing about with the octopus app.

Has there been any updates in the past couple of years that mean this now won’t work?
Not sure I understand what you mean?
Set the Tesla app charge cost in Analysis to the IO rate (7.5p), but let Octopus do the charging. Then you'll see the correct stats in the Tesla app. Why use scheduled charging?

it would be breaching the T&Cs which require you to let octopus control the charging time - thats why they’re giving you more off peak hours in return

Not sure I understand what you mean?
Set the Tesla app charge cost in Analysis to the IO rate (7.5p), but let Octopus do the charging. Then you'll see the correct stats in the Tesla app. Why use scheduled charging?
Only downside with that is when IO charges you outside of off-peak the Tesla stats will show peak costs. No real fix for it other than to set both rates to your off-peak price, if you never bump charge then you’ll be 100% accurate this way.

Reactions: Js1977
Only downside with that is when IO charges you outside of off-peak the Tesla stats will show peak costs. No real fix for it other than to set both rates to your off-peak price, if you never bump charge then you’ll be 100% accurate this way.
This is what I do.

Please don't treat this like Go/Go Faster. It would be a shame if Octopus remove this beta product because people abused it for some selfish reason.

Yes; I never bump charge. IO manages to get me to my desired charge level with their slots without fault!
TBH, the only issue is that I never found the way to enter more than two decimal points so my charging costs are at either 0.08 or 0.07 and not 0.075 in the Tesla app

Reactions: _Dave_
Looks like I'm losing about £30 month to "plug in" charges where IO doesn't stop the charge for some time, or set that 30min slot to the off peak rate.

Any thoughts?
Claim the money back from Octopus and to stop it happening in the future, either:

1. Manually stop charging in the Tesla app after plugging in (my pref)
2. Set scheduled charging to start at 23:30 in the car. This will stop plug-in charging from occurring but won't stop IO from controlling the car

My first bill since October 1st arrived this evening - this is how Octopus now bill the flexible gas tariff to arrive at the subsidised rate of 10.34p/kwh:

(14.07-4.22)*1.05 =10.34.

I suppose from April, most of us on here will have the price guarantee element removed... plus another rate increase of course.

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 17.39.43.png