Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging constant - degradation threshold / EPA miles
Drmi - displayed rated miles. These are 4.5% smaller in energy than charging constant
I don’t talk about energy constant.

In the past for simplicity I have referred to charging constant and discharge constant with discharge constant representing energy in each displayed rated mile which is 4.5% less than the charging constant.

Charging constant is used in a lot of places to display information. Charge events (incorrect), energy screen (incorrect), rated line (5Wh/mi above charging constant).

Discharge constant is never explicitly used but is the energy in each displayed rated mile.
Is that [charging constant]
the amount of energy added to the battery during charging for every rated mile increase in the available range?

No. This is what it says on the screen but it is wrong.

Use the 4.5% less value for that.
Does the difference between the 2 reflect the loss in a charge + discharge cycle?
No.

Just remember for the displayed range it only displays 95.5% of your energy in your pack when at 100%. Then it all makes sense.

I can’t explain why everything is displayed incorrectly. Just the way Tesla does it.

If you want to know energy loss use the Charge stats in the app, and compare the number on the screen multiplied by 95.5% to the app value.

The losses will be about 10% or a bit higher for slowing charging setups (I have never experimented with those to see how accurate the metering on the charge stats is - in theory it can be quite accurate by integrating voltage*current but I don’t know what sig figs they have on the current especially at lower currents).

All very straightforward in the end.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
Where did the 210Wh/rmi and 200Wh/drmi come from?

52.5kWh/250rmi = 210Wh/rmi
0.955*52.5kWh/250drmi = 200Wh/drmi (actually 201Wh/drmi)

So 200.5Wh per displayed rated mile.

You’ll usually see it works out to slightly less than this on the trip meter - perhaps 199Wh/drmi. There is noise on this measurement and it is hard to get a long enough segment to get the numerical error down.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
Not possible to enable/disable overheat protection as an Automation Action?

Interior in spring sun got up to 107f today Sunny, 70f ambient). Time to rentable that option but car will likely not sleep as well. Would love to disable when I am home.

@James@Tessie, is there a way to have Tessie alert me if the windows are left open? Similar to the ‘left unlocked’ alert? Occasionally my car will either not roll up the windows with walk away lock, and a couple times a window has reopened after closing/locking.
This is built into the car now - you can enable it under Locks > Car Left Open: Doors & Windows :)

Hi, first off want to say how much I love Tessie - it is such a handy app for all the nitty gritty data the official Tesla app sorely doesn't show. I did have one small feature request - in the "drives" section where it shows all of the times you've driven, perhaps is there a way (or maybe there already is?) to toggle between % and average Wh/mi (normally seen under the "Energy" section when viewing a specific drive) in the list view?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-20 080412.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-20 080412.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 81
Hi, first off want to say how much I love Tessie - it is such a handy app for all the nitty gritty data the official Tesla app sorely doesn't show. I did have one small feature request - in the "drives" section where it shows all of the times you've driven, perhaps is there a way (or maybe there already is?) to toggle between % and average Wh/mi (normally seen under the "Energy" section when viewing a specific drive) in the list view?
It already shows you the starting and finishing percentage … not much calculation required!

I'll look into this!

Reactions: acaurora