Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Habits / New Habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I sold my Volvo XC90, I had it serviced one last time for the prospective buyer. I had been driving my MSP for a few weeks.

When I went to retreive the XC90, I got in, turned the car over and pressed the accelerator - nothing happened...or so I thought. I pressed harder and the SUV eased out of the parking spot. The car felt like the transmission was slipping or was completely gone (having replaced it twice before I know what it feels like). I immediately jumped out and went in to complain to the service advisor that when I brought the car in for service the transmission was in perfect working order. The advisor assured me everything was fine so I conceded and told him I would take it for a test drive. After 10 minutes, I finally realized the problem - ICE cars just suck...especially SUVs.

Other than the occasional rental, I hope to never drive another ICE.

To keep this on topic, I would say the single biggest new habit for me is actually planning my trips when I am traveling somewhere new and distant. I don't have range anxiety, but want to be sure I allocate enough time for a charge somewhere if necessary.

As for old habits...hmmm....the best one is not having to visit the gas station for fuel - I estimate I have saved ~$1k in my first 6k miles.

Drove my wife's Highlander Hybrid to Colorado for a ski trip last week. I got out of the car no less than 7 times (probably more) without turning it off first! Hard to believe that the habit of getting out without turning off a key got so engrained so quickly, but it sure did. My wife would just shake her head at me like the idiot I am each time!

Drove my wife's mini s and I kept waiting for the car to regen, but I nearly rolled into cars instead. Keep in mind that the mini slows down quite a bit when you let off the gas on its own compared to other cars I've driven, but it feels so much harder to stop then the tesla. You really learn to appreciate just how awesome the regen is when you go back to ice. Makes driving such a breeze!

New habit for my son: fall asleep in the car given how smooth the ride is compared to the noisy and bumpy Mini. It's quite something; my son has stubbornly refused to catnap in the car since he turned 4!

I can't get enough of the smooth ride and the mostly-one-pedal driving myself; what used to be a tiresome commute across the bridge in the evening seemed so blissful and all-too-brief yesterday :)

Getting used the to Model S can cause issues....

I've had the car just over 3 weeks and been driving it everywhere, putting about 1100 miles on it and ignoring my other cars. I took my GT-R out the other day and wow is that car rough with the shifting and loud.

Then I took my 650i out to dinner, parked the car, starting walking in and my buddy asked why I left the car running!

Another LOL here.

The GT-R is everything Top Gear loves. They still review Rolls Royces (probably cause they are locals) would be nice to hear how you would compare features and benefits. Have you driven a Roadster?

Paranoid Teslatian behavior

I have to confess that I am paranoid about the green and orange line and the tiny energy consumption reading (I don't know what the numbers mean, although I have a Ph.D in non-physical sciences). Even a small upward spike on the meter send my blood pressure high. I drive at 25 mph, watch the road and if i see anyone tailgating behind me, I pull over and let them pass. Every time I accelerate to cause orange spike, i decelerate to get some green into it. It has changed my driving pattern. On the other hand, I take my friends for a ride, I accelerate like rocket and enjoy pinning my passengers to their seats; later regret when I see the huge spike on the graph. (I have driven Prius and other Hybrids for 13 years and had some behavioral changes in the past).
By the way, I am also obsessed with mpg-kwh "conversion", in order to justify to my friends (and family) that I made a wise decision about investing my substantial savings!
Another factor is the parking. I park within a few feet from my office but it has changed. Now I look for an isolated spot, at least one side blocked by the curb! Yet another trait I have developed is the compulsory peek into the car in the next lane to see whether they are noticing my Tesla!
Have any of you changed your driving habits?

Hahahahahal! Me, too. 1) My priority is no longer finding a parking spot as close to my destination as possible, but one with the most space on either side. If it means a longer walk, so be it. Just count it as aerobic credit. 2) If there are no parking bumpers/curbs separating opposing slots, I will look for a slot whose opposing slot is empty and drive through to it so that when I leave, I drive forward instead of having to back out. This usually happens to be also some distance away from my destination. More exercise! 3) I do not hesitate to speed up if needed and do not regret the resulting orange spike. But in steady driving, I try to maintain as few squiggles as possible on the graph regardless​ of my speed be it 35 or 70.

I regularly peek at other drivers to see if they are noticing the Tesla. In terms of parking, the main change is now I look for prominent or highly visible spots, like the end of a row, or a spot facing the street, so more people will see it. :) I also tend to back in more, because I sit low, making the front end distance hard to gauge, whereas the camera and tilting mirrors make it pretty easy to back into spots.